News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 515     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Beijing Olympic 2008

Re-watching it on NBC. I'd have to say CBC is better than NBC.

CBC > NBC
CBC people seem to know the knowledge and history about the opening. NBC people are really bad, "now, what are these people doing...?" Yikes. They even fail to mention the most important theme which is the 4 inventions, paper, fire powder, printing and compass.
NBC also cut alot for commercials esp the fireworks.

NBC > CBC
Some of the tv angles seem to be much better.

The Daila Lama does NOT want independence.

The problem is he is just a religious figure, and has no power over what the Tibetans and Tibetan exiles actually do. He called for calm and peaceful protest, but the Tibetans in March still rioted and became violent anyways.

Quebeckers are not rioting in the streets, nor is the government trying to suppress Quebecois culture by importing millions of anglos.

Aren't the Quebecois already Anglos? Most Canadans are descendants of the British.

Btw, I'm right about the 2nd part - most Canadaians ARE descendants of the UK
NorthAmerican Canadian 32.22% (who are mostly Anglos)
English 21.03% (recent immigrants I presume)
Scottish 15.11%

the rest are German, Irish, other European groups, Asian, etc

so around or over 67% are British-related

I am really worried as to what we come up with for 2010. That fact that the ceremony is taking place in bc place is embarassing enough so maybe they'll just light the roof on fire and it will float away into the night.

I really hope we have some artistic people behind the planning of the event and the unveiling of the olympic mascots was better than expected. To be expecting stereotypical characters like mascots, beavers and moose, it was great to see some original ideas. Even though they are really close to Beijing's mascots.

Anyone have any ideas as to themes you think Canada will play with? I think it could be really nice to embrace the idea of Canadian resources. Forestry, Mining, Agriculture, Water.

I am really worried as to what we come up with for 2010. That fact that the ceremony is taking place in bc place is embarassing enough so maybe they'll just light the roof on fire and it will float away into the night.

I really hope we have some artistic people behind the planning of the event and the unveiling of the olympic mascots was better than expected. To be expecting stereotypical characters like mascots, beavers and moose, it was great to see some original ideas. Even though they are really close to Beijing's mascots.

Anyone have any ideas as to themes you think Canada will play with? I think it could be really nice to embrace the idea of Canadian resources. Forestry, Mining, Agriculture, Water.

Come on. We already know. It will be HOCKEY, HOCKEY, HOCKEY! What else? Canada lives and dies for hockey. Maybe Wayne Gretzky will shoot the pug lit with fire to the cauldron ;)

Congrat for China winning Gold #1 :)

We need 200 mounties for our opening ceremony. And given that it will be in BC, it's very appropriate.

I didn't want to be an Olympian anyway. I wanted to be...

A lumberjack!

Leaping from tree to tree, as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. The Giant Redwood. The Larch. The Fir! The mighty Scots Pine! The smell of fresh cut timber! The crash of mighty trees!

With my best girl by my side, we'd sing! Sing! Sing!

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.
I sleep all night and I work all day.

MOUNTIES:
He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

> I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.

> He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.

> I cut down trees. I skip and jump.
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars.

> He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps.
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing
And hangs around in bars?!

> I cut down trees. I wear high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear Papa.

> He cuts down trees. He wears high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra?!...

Come on. We already know. It will be HOCKEY, HOCKEY, HOCKEY! What else? Canada lives and dies for hockey. Maybe Wayne Gretzky will shoot the pug lit with fire to the cauldron ;)

Congrat for China winning Gold #1 :)

I highly doubt they'll get Gretz to get out his shotgun to shoot some poor dog, toss it for cremation and then announce "Let the Games... BEGIN!"

Now, if you meant a puck, that's another story (and definitely a better one too)

It wasn't all about hockey in Calgary in 88, so why would it be just about hockey now? I think it would be appropriate to have some hockey in there anyways. It's as much a part of our cultural fabric as just about anything.

Don’t forget that the Winter Olympics are small potatoes compared to the summer games in viewership and participation and this is usually reflected in the opening and closing ceremonies.

Rumor has it that they are busy training beavers and moose to dance to the music of Anne Murray for the opening ceremony.

Don’t forget that the Winter Olympics are small potatoes compared to the summer games in viewership and participation and this is usually reflected in the opening and closing ceremonies.

Rumor has it that they are busy training beavers and moose to dance to the music of Anne Murray for the opening ceremony.

At the same time, Celine Dion pounding her chest as drums...on and on and on...

The winter games will be excellent for Vancouver's tourism people love Canada, unlike China. Beijing tourism down 20% from last year, thanks to heavy Chinese visa restrictions.

Aren't the Quebecois already Anglos? Most Canadans are descendants of the British.
The Quebecois are descendants of the French that lost to the British, mind you, the French lost pretty much every war they've been involved in. I sometimes think it must be difficult to be a recruiter for the military in France...you can hardly use your past success as a sales point.

Back