News   Jul 26, 2024
 622     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

What exactly is a distinctive rooftop silhouette?

First you need a real big light. Then you need a really big piece of paper. Shine the light at the rooftop, hold the paper on the other side of the building, and trace.

Now, isn't that distinctive!

at least it's not a big giant slab of concrete. I don't mind it at all - it's clean. I think it will stand out among its darker sister and brother buildings down there.

When you look at what's going up around the world, this is distincly unimpressive. Oh well. At least it will take up space.
While I would have liked a more distinctive design, most of what's going up around the world is boring as well. Someone could easily say "compared to what's going up in other cities like Toronto..." and use the Ritz or Libeskind tower as examples of our exciting architecture.

They should have kept the other facade as well as it would provide a better streetwall. This looks like it will be set back from the sidewalk with those goofy bulky concrete pillars we're so used to seeing around the city. The building itself is fine but it's a step backward for the street level. Disappointing.
The pillars won't be exposed concrete; this is a class A office building, not a Tridel condo. What I don't like is the lack of street retail. As usual it's all stuck underground.

Yuck. Is anybody else sick of this sort of 'polite' corporate crap of a design? I mean, the historic part is the only part worth looking at!!! Considering all the press this site has received, and that this project is supposed to herald some sort of commercial building renaissance wouldn't a more exciting design have been appropriate?

Toronto's building booms seem to coincide with periods of modernism. To wit, the preponderance here of boring boxy towers. Yeah they're fine examples of minimalism and....blah blah blah. Somebody dig up ol' Mies' corpse and piss on it for me, will ya!

Ouch!

Thank goodness we didn't build much during the height of PoMo and end up with all sorts of Michael Graves-y crap at least. I'd take 100 TD Centres over that Louisville Humana Building stuff.

A prime site like this deserves something breathtakingly original.

Agreed. Which means WZMH should have been canned several designs ago.

The old building would have been better off in the facade district.

I have to agree, the design is a big disappointment. How many buildings, exactly, do we need on the glassy-box-with-a-separated-facade look? It's getting just a little absurd, though some of the buildings may be great individually.

Box.jpg

How many buildings, exactly, do we need on the glassy-box-with-a-separated-facade look?

Just enough to make our skyline look sparkling new. Those 6 towers plus the RBC tower are just the right amount.

It's great that this project is going ahead but on the architecture front I would have to agree with the sentiment here, basically the building was designed by a 1998 accounting software package.

They're keeping the wrong building on Bay. The 'heritage' building is just as worthless as the one with blue brick spandrels but not as distinctive. Keep them both, lose them both, just don't keep the worst of the two and muck up the new tower. Office buildings aren't coral formations.

^ I agree AlexisTO. I don't think we have too many similar tower proposals of this nature at the moment, especially as they are fairly spread out and are individual enough to be told apart from one another.

Personally I like the style and i think having a common theme among a few of the city's buildings is a way of establishing a modern "toronto style".

I will however, be very disappointed if the other 2 BA towers are of an identical styling to this first design. We already have the TD centre "family" and I think a second samey cluster in the core would be a tad bland.

It looks like they spent more money on the rendering than they did on the design of the building. You think after all these years they would have learned that ugly designs weren't successful in getting built.

Considering it's WZMH, I am just overjoyed it doesn't look like Maritime Life.

AoD

Back