News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 577     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

More than disappointment..and call it landmark, signature and
distinctive is almost an insult...

What a waste of that precious office space for that crap...
a person who wrote that article is disoriented or is kidding...

>: >: >:

easy there

Wow, most people here don't even view the glass as half empty, but as completely empty. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand all the anger directed at this project. What's so bad about it? It looks clean and functional. it's certainly not an innovative or remarkable project, but not every building can be.

It seems like the main problem here is that people got their hopes up prematurely. God knows why, the older renders were horrid.

"Let Brookfield know how you feel. I'm sure they just have a bunch of sycophants telling them it is a great building. It is sooooooooooo boring."

Somehow I don't think they're going to postpone and redesign a 9-figure project just because some people online think it's boring.

Personally, I'm not against any building on the grounds that it's boring or plain. If you don't like it, just consider it a kind of massive infill. When we do get a non-boxy, iconic tower (maybe next during the next boom), it will stand out all the more because of it.

Re: easy there

Just got back from the site. They are working full out. Two north lanes of Adelaide and the south one on Temperance have been blocked off by concrete highway barriers. Steel fencing being put up as well.

I think we all hate this project because we've all got building envy. While other major cities around the world are building innovative stunning commerical projects, Toronto never strives to innovate or achieve greatness. Its something that really annoys me about this city and its people.

I know many people will stick up for this project saying its fine and dandy but I think many of these people need to pick up a magazine sometime soon. They'll soon discover that Toronto is stuck in 1995.

I'm sure that it will look fine when it gets built so at least we can take some pleasure in knowing we won't end up with an eyesore.

I think many forumers here are just getting fed up with Toronto settling for everything.

Isn't this the same forum that criticized Sapphire Tower for being too over the top and tacky? I think some people just like to complain.

I've chosen not to follow this project because of the bad luck it's had since its original inception.... so I may be a bit misinformed about what I'm about to say:

Is it not possible that the center tower (the one where there is now The Stump) will be the signature tower of this development? I think this rendering portrays a peripheral tower.

It is logical that the tower in the center would be the tallest and most prominent.

Two north lanes of Adelaide and the south one on Temperance have been blocked off by concrete highway barriers.

Went back to see. Make that one lane on Adelaide. Amazing. Who would have predicted this spurt a year ago?

The problem with renderings like this - and the Ritz, and the new RBC tower - is that it's hard to tell to what extent the "separating" wall is really angled, as opposed to be shown in an extreme perspective.

"Is it not possible that the center tower (the one where there is now The Stump) will be the signature tower of this development? I think this rendering portrays a peripheral tower."

IIRC, where the stump is now will be the public square. Three towers will surround this square, north (of Temperance), east, and west (currently under construction). I don't think any of them could be said to be in the centre.

What are the proposed heights for the other two towers, if this is not the premier tower for the site maybe that is a good thing.

I'll chime in as someone who is inclined to mostly like new buildings and say that my own disappointment with this building is that it is an extremely bland, thoughtless, re-hash of other projects going up in the city, and I make no apologies for that.

I will comment on this post, however, because it needs it:

While other major cities around the world are building innovative stunning commerical projects, Toronto never strives to innovate or achieve greatness ... I think many of these people need to pick up a magazine sometime soon. They'll soon discover that Toronto is stuck in 1995.

You need to get out more. Looking at magazines gives an extremely distorted view of the world, and makes it easy to think that everything everywhere else is amazing. Being in other cities is great partially because you see all their mistakes, failures, ugliness, and poorly realized projects as well, and its quite reassuring. Toronto is, in fact, doing quite well.

BA render

It is just another glass box unfortunately. Unfortunate for such a signature project.

Back