News   Jul 26, 2024
 375     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 990     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 849     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Any idea about when we're going to lose our stump?

The fact that they are now closing the garage entrance to the stump probably means sooner than later.

BA RENDER

Don't think anyone has posted this before. From the Ellis Don website. Looks pretty glassy and classy.

Redolent of the new RBC ... no?

bayadelaide1.jpg

EllisDon has been awarded the prestigious Bay Adelaide Centre office tower in downtown Toronto. The building is designed as a landmark signature tower which, with its distinctive rooftop silhouette, makes a unique and lasting architectural imprint on the Toronto skyline. The impressive 50-storey office tower contains over 1,525,000 square feet of rentable, Class A office space.

Great find 3D, and thanks for posting it on here.

Quite classy - the only thing that took some of the polish away is the hertiage facade, which looks awfully out of place.

AoD

A tad bland. It will disappear into the crowd, both at street level and in the skyline. A real missed opportunity for something a little more interesting.

They should have kept the other facade as well as it would provide a better streetwall. This looks like it will be set back from the sidewalk with those goofy bulky concrete pillars we're so used to seeing around the city. The building itself is fine but it's a step backward for the street level. Disappointing.

I like it except it looks a lot like the RBC building about to go up by Cadillac Fairview. Let's just be happy the stump will be gone. I've been checking their website periodically, they must have updated very recently. Nice find 3Dementia.

It's time that someone took one of those historic facades and "suspended" it somewhere halfway up the new building's facade, maybe upside down or tilted possibly. Or broken-up like a Hockney photo collage.

Historic facades become kitsch in situations like this - it's time that some developer and architect had the guts to make a statement with them other than "we're pretending it's the same old building behind here".

(edited for spelling)

More from the site:

"Located between Adelaide and Temperance Street, the project defines the north edge of the downtown financial core. Over 112,062 square feet of below grade retail space links this complex to the extensive downtown concourse network. Three levels of existing below grade parking provide space for approximately 1,100 cars. A challenge for the construction team is the historical façade at Bay and Temperance which will be removed, refurbished and reinstalled.

EllisDon is currently involved with an extensive preconstruction program for the Bay Adelaide Centre for construction to start in summer 2006."

Nice find, by the way.

Looks like a cross between the new RBC dexia builidng in form and the old Maratime Life building's use of the historical building.

Mmppppph.

I'm counting forty-seven floors on the render. Supposing that this is to be the tallest tower in the complex, I'm a bit nonplussed after all this waiting.

"The building is designed as a landmark signature tower which, with its distinctive rooftop silhouette, makes a unique and lasting architectural imprint on the Toronto skyline."

Judging from the plain-ol' glassy box shown in the rendering, whoever wrote that must have been dropping acid. That or trying to sucker in potential buyers with a description belonging to an older rendering.

When you look at what's going up around the world, this is distincly unimpressive. Oh well. At least it will take up space.

Yawn.

What exactly is a distinctive rooftop silhouette?

What happened to the more interesting set-back filled design of last year?
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, its a big glass box.

Especially having just come back from NYC and seeing things like the Hearst Tower, seeing this proposal called "unique and distintincive" is a bit much. But the worst part of it is that it ruins the Bay St canyon effect at one of the few parts of Toronto that has that Manhattan-style streetwall. Why the friggin' setback? Is it going to have retail? So far, I don't see anything redeeming about this project and I would go so far as to say I prefer the status quo.

baycanyon.jpg

Back