News   Jul 26, 2024
 377     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 861     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

It's a building we can see featured in a "lost Toronto" book in 30 years.

It's ok, I like it and everything; however I'd rather have a B/A over it.

I don't know about *missing* per se, but it's a classic case of a 50s modern-but-not-really urban background building. And it's good-mannered, cheesy blue spandrels and all--it certainly melds right into the Bay St fray.

On that level, at least, it's a sorta-loss--or at least, something which merits deeper appreciation and understanding than a simple red-X-and-leave-it-at-that.

Note: that's not so much a "heritage" argument, as a "comprehensive urban survey" argument. (And I remembering offering it in the past re the now-gone Goodwill complex...)

Some scafolding on the Temperance side of the building was put up tonight. A bunch of construction workers are there right now. They say they are installing some lights.

There's also a window cleaners scafold hanging near the sidewalk. Looks like early work on securing the facade may be starting.

Thanks for that update Ed, I'm starting to get excited and a bit more optimistic here.

Is anybody going to be in the area soon to get some pictures? Ed did you ever get around to compiling those images to create an animation? And if not I can help.

those lights are probably for a banner (hopefully a rendering from Brookfiled opposed to the demolition team or contractor)

Both it seems and no rendering.

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

Notice in the window at 335 Bay that asbestos removal has begun. Also some steel fencing has been dropped off near the parking garage entrance on Adelaide. Looks like work has started.

Was there tonight and nothing is happening. The scaffolding in the pictures has been removed.

Street entrance for parking garage through the elevator core is now fenced off. Traffic signs for the closure of Adelaide are now onsite. And the Ellis Don guy I ran to on the street tonight said demolition has begun!

On a side note, Minto Midtown south tower is now at 6 floors and the north tower is at minus 1 floors.

Thanks for the wonderful news Ed.
Fingers crossed this won't become another flop.
Hopefully by year end, BA, RITZ, RBC and TRUMP will have all progressed with no looking back!

I walk by this everyday to got to work so I will be able to check in on the progress and hopefully soon on the Ritz as well.

RBC and 25 York will be rolling soon too. Both have curtainwall delivery set for late 3rdQ 2007. And the general contractor (PCL, I believe) is seriously pushing to build Ritz at the same time as RBC, so we may see both break ground within a few weeks

Back