News   Jul 26, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 810     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 705     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Considering it's WZMH I doubt it'll be stunning, but considering the horrible first and most recent proposals, I'd rather see this anyway.

Indeed- the current drawing is crap. This is a generic bottom-line building that could be built anywhere in NA. Toronto is the next London (britan) - we can do better.

Indeed- the current drawing is crap. This is a generic bottom-line building that could be built anywhere in NA. Toronto is the next London (britan) - we can do better.
london's tallest could be described the same way.

Toronto is the next London?!? Not by a long shot, and not in anyone's estimation.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the finished product if I were you. Brookfield are putting up a trio of towers around a public park like setting that will have a major positve impact on the area. The second (east) tower is still a work in progress. At this time Brookfield can't decide on the final residential component and density transfer from the north tower. I had lunch with Blanchaer and Carlos Ott in Miami last week (Ott is designing a condo there) and gleaned some tit bits of information on the project. I tried to pry out some Manulife updates from Carlos and. HOLD IT!! I am going off topic. Must stop before I get removed from the thread.

If every thread went off topic that way there certainly wouldn't be any complaining. You tease!

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the finished product if I were you. Brookfield are putting up a trio of towers around a public park like setting that will have a major positve impact on the area.

You are certainly right when it comes to pointing out that a line drawing is not a great way to assess the quality of a building. I guess part of the problem is the expectation that something grand would be going up, being that Brookfield has a pretty good reputation.

(from pw20)
To be honest... they all suck.

V.1 - Early nineties Atlanta - looks like something the people on Melrose Place would have worked in. Two words: LA Law.
V.2 - The swoop roof says we're different, but still too cheap to get a real architect.
V.3 - We have no idea what we're doing so we just threw this together! Setbacks are cool, right?
V.4 - The bland leading the bland.

This is very funny.

It truly is boxy, even for this city. Even the boxy buildings that surround it will look at this building and go, "wow, that's boxy."

An office building, for 2/3 of the day, is nothing more than a box that holds paper, computers, copiers, and fax machines. Why shouldn't it look like one?

An office building, for 2/3 of the day, is nothing more than a box that holds paper, computers, copiers, and fax machines. Why shouldn't it look like one?

I think this is the same reasoning people have for wanting a more creative-looking Opera House.

I think I know what you're getting at, but you could take that logic and apply it to any building. Buildings don't have to be beautiful. They could all be built using utility as the only criterion, but then the city would look like East Berlin.

There's a happy medium that has to be arrived at.

Form can be beautifully expressed, there's just no need to gussy it all up to pretend it's something it's not. Office buildings hold tools of work, the opera house is the vessel that holds the beauty that is the opera.

And we should remember that Brookfield is building a private park, not a public one. It will remain private property, and the public's ability to use it will be limited accordingly.

No one is suggesting that we make the building into something that it's not. I think the debate is focused on the architecture being bland, even for an office building.

"Toronto is the next London?!? Not by a long shot, and not in anyone's estimation."

Great attitute. Toronto over the next few decades has every bit of potential to move into he same league as london uk as a world city. Canada inthe long has greater potential than the UK. Are you British?

Back