News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 700     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I'd be happy if they added a few floor to BA2 instead, bringing it up to the same height as BA1, making nice "twin towers".

If you take a look at Google Earth shot of downtown, and note the very low angle of the sun used (guessing late fall or early spring), you'll see that even a 70 storey BA (use Scotia's shadow as a model) would barely reach the elevated walkway... which 390 Bay Street already does in that shot... and only at that particular time of day. Obviously when the sun is seasonally higher, there'd be no shadow issues.

Do we even know if Bay Adelaide used up all their density?

I was re-examing the glass from the previous page and noticed that there is a bit of a contrast between the mullions and the glass. I wonder if there is a reason why the mullions didn't better match the glass. Something about it reminds me of the reflectivety we have seen recently in the Murano thread.

In any case the glass looks to be of extremely high quality.

baglass1ey3.jpg

Cal, without Ba-labouring the curtain wall installation... I think it's a good bet that BA will be one of the most lovely "almost a box" new towers in the country. It will dazzle in a CIBC kinda way (though with a bit more magic vis a vis transparency vs. reflection).

I was lobbying hard for green glass, but clearly my Brookfield connections are now tenuous to say the least (though I continue to nag on the BMO front).

I was walking by the site today and noted on the NW corner that the structural cinder block for the historical facade has been built (couple storeys high). I guest the historical facade will be placed on top. Couldn’t take a picture but if you go by, take a look.

March 1 -2008

65828160hn2.png

Shows continued progress with the steel framing.

Concrete core (elevator shaft) is at floor 22 ( 3 floors from the half way point) - Steel framing is complete to the 11th floor with steel columns reaching the 12th and 13th floors.

Historical facade cinderblock brick work complete on first floor.

Oh Ziggy, don't let that stop you! It's certainly not a condition that many people place upon themselves here.

Speaking of which, I keep reading about how big this thing is, "it's huge!" and all that, but I saw it today and it's not that big. I mean, sure, it's big, but it's not like I've never seen anything so impressive being erected before.

It's about the same size as the other big MINT towers. The last towers roughly its size to go up were the Brookfield towers and Scotia Plaza, and that was long enough ago (15-20 years) to be before the time of many of those posting here.

I wonder what people thought when the TD towers were going up, in the 1960s? That must have been a true case of culture shock. (New City Hall would have been the same time frame as well.)

Speaking of which, I keep reading about how big this thing is, "it's huge!" and all that, but I saw it today and it's not that big. I mean, sure, it's big, but it's not like I've never seen anything so impressive being erected before.

Well it is the biggest skyscraper to go up in this city in at least 18 Years.
Give or take a few months of course.

So.....

Basically this kind of thing happens only once in a generation...at least in Toronto.

It's Huge!!! It's So Huge!!!!

Sure it's huge - it's as huge as a hundred other buildings under construction in various cities around the world, very few of which have a webcam and a thread breathlessly describing every additional floor, bit of steel, mullion, etc. One expects progress in a construction project.

What is HUGE? Huge is the Burj Dubai, as of 1 March it was 2,006 feet with 160 completed floors. Final completed height is unknown but best guesses are around 2,680 feet.

Not to diminish what is happening on BAC and in Toronto - it is exciting - but, guys, keep it in perspective. We are a world city.

2303897528_5369556c9b_o.jpg

That is the first shot I've seen that really gives a sense of how outrageous Burj Dubai is. Sweet mercy, that thing is tall.

IT'S HUGE!!! It's So Huge!!!!

Doesn't it just blow one's mind. And there are another 700 plus feet to go (admittedly most will be antenna).

The world is a wonderful place.

But back to the topic at hand - BAC.

Back