News   May 03, 2024
 182     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 537     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Are Social Media Websites like Facebook and Twitter becoming too powerful?

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government and 48 states and districts sued Facebook Wednesday, accusing it of abusing its market power in social networking to crush smaller competitors and seeking remedies that could include a forced spinoff of the social network’s Instagram and WhatsApp messaging services.

IMO, the internet platforms and service providers should be liable for what they make available online. And I don‘t mean just social media platforms like FB, I mean the likes of Bell and Rogers should be liable for anything anyone can see on the internet content they provide. Same as my television or radio.

Last edited:
IMO, the internet platforms and service providers should be liable for what they make available online. And I don‘t mean just social media platforms like FB, I mean the likes of Bell and Rogers should be liable for anything anyone can see on the internet content they provide. Same as my television or radio.

Television and radio works a little differently than the broader Internet. I don't think the telecommunication service provider should be liable (with some exceptions); the responsibility rests with the individual(s) and organization(s) providing that content and the media platforms that host that content. Does it make sense for Bell or Rogers to be screening through a gazallion websites, media clips and instant messages?

AoD

Also, broadcasters use publicly-owned spectrum, hence the requirements to follow certain programming guidelines (i.e., provide news, CanCon, etc.) While internet regulations are now coming for streamers (as they essentially act as broadcasters on a non-spectrum platform), regulating larger internet content through ISPs would render Bell and Rogers as whack-a-mole'rs in a never-ending game.

Television and radio works a little differently than the broader Internet. I don't think the telecommunication service provider should be liable (with some exceptions); the responsibility rests with the individual(s) and organization(s) providing that content and the media platforms that host that content. Does it make sense for Bell or Rogers to be screening through a gazallion websites, media clips and instant messages?

AoD
Not texts. But as for the content of the websites Rogers and Bell allow, once the technology allows it, why not?

An Australian asking his Google Nest: Okay Google, let's play Waltzing Matilda.

Google: Sorry, I am not allowed to answer any request in your country.

Australian: I will have to cover you in Vegemite until you play me Waltzing Matilda!

Google: Sorry, I am not allowed to answer any request in your country.

Australian: Well then. Waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda, You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me, And he sang as he watched and waited till his "Billy" boiled, "You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me." [smears Vegemite all over the Google Nest]. There. I have all the privacy in the world.

Last edited:
Good for them. Google can sod off anyway.

People still use their search engine? Why? To get ads targeted to them through use of Google spyware? Or is it to get listings based on who paid to be listed in front?

They're acting like this will cause them financial hardship. Right. Be off then.

“Hey Google whats the best VPN to use”

US firms threatening Australians, yeah that's going to go well. Isn't there anyone at Google or Facebook mgmt that can see where this is going to go? My guess is Australians will ditch them both for either a home grown alternative, or for Bing or other search. And no one NEEDS facebook for either their social or professional lives. https://www.webalive.com.au/australias-major-search-engines-and-directories/

US firms threatening Australians, yeah that's going to go well. Isn't there anyone at Google or Facebook mgmt that can see where this is going to go? My guess is Australians will ditch them both for either a home grown alternative, or for Bing or other search. And no one NEEDS facebook for either their social or professional lives. https://www.webalive.com.au/australias-major-search-engines-and-directories/
DuckDuckGo is an excellent search engine alternative.

Unlike Google or Bing, the search results for a particular search term are the same to everyone instead of being "personalized," making DuckDuckGo excellent for private searches.

DuckDuckGo is an excellent search engine alternative.

Unlike Google or Bing, the search results for a particular search term are the same to everyone instead of being "personalized," making DuckDuckGo excellent for private searches.

I use Qwant. It's French.

Qwant works the same way....no "personalisation"; no spying.

DuckDuckGo is also a good alternate to anything run by a technoligarch.

What browser do you use? If you say Chrome, I'm going to cry. hahahahaa

Facebook and Instagram Ask Users to Enable App Tracking in Order to Keep Services 'Free of Charge'

It's only free of charge because your personal information is sold to advertisers, who will track you to the end of the Earth and beyond the grave.

Facebook and Instagram Ask Users to Enable App Tracking in Order to Keep Services 'Free of Charge'

It's only free of charge because your personal information is sold to advertisers, who will track you to the end of the Earth and beyond the grave.
What apps would you need on your phone? I don't have FB or IG on my phone, I just use these to chat with family overseas and keep both apps on my desktop with Adblock fully enabled.

I use FB, IG and Twitter for work and volunteer commitments so I have the apps on my phone, because I don't always have my laptop with me. Pretty much everyone I know has these and other social apps on their phone because they use their phones more than their laptops / desktops, and because you never know when you will be out and about and come upon an instagrammable photo!

Back