News   May 01, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 368     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 369     0 

Arc Condo (Sheppard & Bayview, Daniels, 16s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

There's a similar thing happening amongst the homes off to the northeast of the corner - up along Burbank and the local streets that peel off it - the original suburban ranch modern homes are being replaced by flouncy-yucky retread-of-history McMansions.

One of my favourite areas is north on Burbank. Forest Grove Dr east of Restwell specifically. Had some time recently to drive around and I was shocked they let the monster homes in. This area should have had heritage protection. I need to make some big money fast so I can buy one before they are all gone.

That would be money well spent Ed. That area really did suburban dream right, and it is a shame when the best of the 60s suburbs get diddled by McMoney. Good mid-century suburban architecture deserves propection as much as our vaunted Bay and Gables...

Brining it all back to Arc, I really do think that this building more than any other in the area replicates the spirit of the homes that went in during Bayview-Sheppard's initial development.

Yeah, Beautiful Downtown Burbank, fallen victim to the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate
laughin1.jpg

Bayview & York Mills is a more interesting case of McMansions replacing Modern homes than Bayview & Sheppard...many of the Modern homes are on larger lots, which gives their ranch sensibilities full rein. There's just so many styles on display in the area, a war of 'good taste' with a predetermined outcome...victorious McMansions!

The McMansions south of the 401 are both more ridiculous due to their scale and, in other isolated cases, actually respectable, if one assumes that the neo-chateau look can be done both poorly and not poorly. There's a few 'plain' ones north of the 401 that are about one keystone too many away from being respectable, but practically none that would satisfy *certain* forumers.

Normally I groan with dismay, and refuse to salivate like Pavlov's dog, when another easy-sell "sexy curves" condo goes up. After all, any building perched on the brow of the hill where Bayview meets Sheppard would perk up this part of town, regardless of shape, if done well. The commanding site is a gift from above.

But as I walked up the west side of Bayview towards the intersection earlier this afternoon I was quite pleased with what I saw: the angular subway entrance, which employs roof shapes and rustic-looking stone that references the Modernist residential expansion that overtook Willowdale in the '60s, will set off the curved prow of the condo steaming south towards it quite nicely. And, unlike the mid-'70s commie blocks and the NY Towers, this new building is right there next to the sidewalk.

By plan, or by good fortune, it looks as if it will work.

Normally I groan with dismay, and refuse to salivate like Pavlov's dog, when another easy-sell "sexy curves" condo goes up. After all, any building perched on the brow of the hill where Bayview meets Sheppard would perk up this part of town, regardless of shape, if done well. The commanding site is a gift from above.

I agree. When I was at the meeting for 21 Widmer, everyone rejoiced over its curvy design. I was not so easily moved but it seems that laymen (and women) really seem to prefer this sort of 'give-em-hell' architecture over the refined angles of something like Festival Tower. Sad really, since this style will probably be about as timeless as those countless post-modern suburban malls which attempted, as Phil Johnson did far more successfully, to design with "history at their elbow."

First year art school Design 101 - the emotional responses to shape, colour and texture. Lisa Rochon's critique of the Crystal was partly based on the notion that jutting, angular shapes are unsettling rather than calming - more suited to the Jewish Museum than the ROM. But of course Gothic cathedrals are also pointy-roofed, and quite angular inside, and they create a sense of calm and spiritual awe - so it also depends what you do with form.

But as I walked up the west side of Bayview towards the intersection earlier this afternoon I was quite pleased with what I saw: the angular subway entrance, which employs roof shapes and rustic-looking stone that references the Modernist residential expansion that overtook Willowdale in the '60s, will set off the curved prow of the condo steaming south towards it quite nicely. And, unlike the mid-'70s commie blocks and the NY Towers, this new building is right there next to the sidewalk.

By plan, or by good fortune, it looks as if it will work.

No doubt the ARC Condos will be the jewel of this intersection and the best development in North York. And if the rumours of direction subway-station access are true, it will be the best example of Transit-Oriented Development along the Sheppard Corridor and one of (if not the) first building to apply good sense and adherence to the secondary plan. ARC seems like it will be pedestrian friendly and be aligned to the street. With good good landscaping (something that I must admit the other Daniels projects in the area have done a good job with), the north east corner of Bayview and Sheppard will be a fine spot.

Should have been built above the subway stop. Surely Sheppard station could have survived with two entrances until Arc was built.

well its good to see at least ARC will have a direct access (doorway) leading from the condo lobby into the Bayview station

It's refreshing to see a building that adheres to the City's planning principles to this degree. For some reason I'm reminded of a recent condominium at Eglinton and Scarlett because of how dramatically it failed where this building has succeeded. It isn't aligned with the road, it's fenced off, and its main entrance is on a side street far from Eglinton, the avenue with planned higher order order transit.

Oh yeah, I've seen that place. And compounding it all, the tree they went to token effort to keep, died anyway...

Nice looking project...good area,near TTC,respectable builder.Good home or a investment property.

IMO ... good looking building ... brings population to the area supportive to subway ... however I would never live here as 'home' simply because of the cookie cutter style design ... unlike typical condos where units vary in width (ie: ~30 ft for 2 bedrooms, ~20 feet for 1 bedooms), at ARC there are 41 units per typical floor and they are all the same width which lines up perfectly (except corner units), looking at the floorplate it made me think of a university dorm ... can't imagine the traffic volume in the hallways

Back