News   Jul 05, 2024
 539     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 905     11 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 455     0 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

It appears that a noble effort was undertaken a few months ago to remove the paint and restore the brick but it appears that the veneer on the brick is gone so a good deal of the brick is pretty much toast. Add to that sections of the building have shifted, or sunk, options here for the exterior are rather limited unfortunately. In a perfect world the brick would be removed and rebuilt "as was" but the cost must certainly be prohibitive for a small place like this.

Though a Paul Oberman-style development of full restoration in conjunction with a new development in its vicinity isn't unimaginable.

`
650jly24.jpg

it would much better had they decided to do the entire thing with that not just 1/3. the brink had its many chances over time by the looks of it. lol

I see the practice of covering the first floor of victorian buildings with cheap bathroom tiles is alive and well.

I wish I could've contributed to this thread earlier because if you were going with a stone veneer I would've strongly suggested an Indiana Limestone veneer and probably could've scored you a great deal on it. :D

It is very depressing to walk by that everyday on my way to my office. By the way, I am shocked at the continued existence of a surface parking lot just south of it.

It is very depressing to walk by that everyday on my way to my office. By the way, I am shocked at the continued existence of a surface parking lot just south of it.

Is that the lot that's had a sign up for nearly a decade advertising rental apartments as coming soon?

Exactly. There is still a sign advertising rentals but with no "coming soon"...

Around Mid 2001, when I was planning to downsize and scouting for a location to buy an apartment in downtown area, there was a sign on this lot by Conservatory Group stating that an apartment building is coming here soon and a telephone number was given. Upon calling that number, I was told that apartment building will be coming in the market around February 2002. Somwhere down the road, sign was changed to rental apartments coming soon.

Back