News   Jul 05, 2024
 554     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 916     11 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 457     0 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

Whatever the case, heritage or not - they are doing such a poor job at everything and anything, that the building will most likely need to come down upon completion. My thoughts are that this is all deliberate - that this will eventually lead to the building coming down and the owners either selling or developing.

but why go through that effort just to tear down and sell/develop ?

AFAIK, this building isn't 'heritage designated' so nothing prevents them from doing it from the get-go.
also, IIRC, part of the main floor retail has already been leased.

i'm inclined to think it's a case of bad design, bad materials, AND bad workmanship

Whatever the case, heritage or not - they are doing such a poor job at everything and anything, that the building will most likely need to come down upon completion. My thoughts are that this is all deliberate - that this will eventually lead to the building coming down and the owners either selling or developing.

Seems unlikely that the owner of such a high profile site could be this incompetent, so you may be on to something.

On the other hand, it also seems unlikely that the mayor of Toronto could be such a red-necked, fat-headed baffoon (whom btw in case there was any ambiguity, I utterly and wholeheartedly despise). But then again, he was elected predominantly by the car(suv)-commuting masses.

Seems unlikely that the owner of such a high profile site could be this incompetent, so you may be on to something.

On the other hand, it also seems unlikely that the mayor of Toronto could be such a red-necked, fat-headed baffoon (whom btw in case there was any ambiguity, I utterly and wholeheartedly despise). But then again, he was elected predominantly by the car(suv)-commuting masses.

WTF..has the mayor of Toronto have to do with 650 Bay street.:confused:
I hate to say it.. but neubilder you are out of control trashing the mayor and taking threads off topic.
Take it to the appropriate thread and keep this post on the same topic.

While I see where Neubilder is going with this, we don't really need to bring Doug Ford into this thread too thank you.

I don't get around to reading all the threads but when I saw "Boutique Hotel" and "Bay Street" I had to take a look. What a joke this is. Grinding the bricks? Is this a heritage designated building or isn't it? I didn't realize that paint removal was a lost art. Someone decided to try to create a boutique hotel on Bay St with the cheapest home renovation team they could find. Maybe they did their home bathroom renovation and it turned out rather nice so why not have them make a boutique hotel?

Oh, and since it is in fashion to work this into every and all postings: Rob Ford is the 650 Bay Boutique Hotel. :)

I can't stand him either but won't everyone please STFU about Rob Ford? That became cliche and boring months ago. (Minus during Pride when it was temporarily fun again.)

WTF..has the mayor of Toronto have to do with 650 Bay street.:confused:
I hate to say it.. but neubilder you are out of control trashing the mayor and taking threads off topic.
Take it to the appropriate thread and keep this post on the same topic.

There can never be enough trashing of Ford until the day he is ousted. No, until he keels over from too many big macs.

I can't stand him either but won't everyone please STFU about Rob Ford? That became cliche and boring months ago. (Minus during Pride when it was temporarily fun again.)

You call discussion (ok, trash talking) the one who is destroying the city cliche?!

All joking aside this time…

We are not going to stop all Ford bashing on UrbanToronto, but neither do we want every thread taken over by it. Let's give it a rest here for a while, okay? Thanks!

While I'm pretty discouraged by the results so far, that cheap-looking granite-y thing is only going to be in the lower level. Maybe the upper bits will look better? The choice of materials so far has been baffling, and the tiles don't seem to fit very well at all - hopefully it's because it's early stages still.

It appears that a noble effort was undertaken a few months ago to remove the paint and restore the brick but it appears that the veneer on the brick is gone so a good deal of the brick is pretty much toast. Add to that sections of the building have shifted, or sunk, options here for the exterior are rather limited unfortunately. In a perfect world the brick would be removed and rebuilt "as was" but the cost must certainly be prohibitive for a small place like this.

Back