News   Jul 16, 2024
 668     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 594     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

44th Canadian Federal Election

You're joking right?
These same liberals did nothing about the flights from covid hot spots.

You can't close the borders entirely. Australia did that and it did more harm than good.

As for flights from covid hot spots, even if they curtailed flights from India and elsewhere people would still come here via a third country that wasn't denied entry.

The best we could have done without doing ourselves harm was to quarantine people.

With 722 new cases in Ontario today (and rising) I wonder how this will impact the election.

The Liberals were doing an amazing job handling the pandemic while Justin was speaking moistly.

The Conservative provinces absconded themselves of all responsibilities and reopened everything as if the pandemic was over.

Now Ontario is in the midst of a wildfire situation in terms of case counts while Alberta isn't any better. Alberta reported 749 cases a couple days ago.

I wonder if rising cases will turn the election in the Liberals favor. No doubt people will flock to the party they know will help them over the one associated with rising case counts.
Health Minister Christine Elliott said 522 or 78 per cent of Sunday’s cases involved people who were unvaccinated, partially vaccinated or had unknown vaccination status.

Wonder who the vaccinated and unvaccinated would vote for in the federal election?

Now Ontario is in the midst of a wildfire situation
I mean, with 75% of 12+ people vaccinated, raw case numbers aren't really relevant any longer.

The biggest issue for me, one I don't see any party addressing, is the rock bottom interest rates that are destroying our economy and the middle class. This ties in with there being no real fiscal conservative party anymore (other than the PPC, but they're not gonna win). Even Tool the Fool is trying to out lib the Libs with his spending promises. It's an alienating s*** show for moderates like me.

I mean, with 75% of 12+ people vaccinated, raw case numbers aren't really relevant any longer.

The biggest issue for me, one I don't see any party addressing, is the rock bottom interest rates that are destroying our economy and the middle class. This ties in with there being no real fiscal conservative party anymore (other than the PPC, but they're not gonna win). Even Tool the Fool is trying to out lib the Libs with his spending promises. It's an alienating s*** show for moderates like me.

The program spending promises aren't all that ambitious from either the Libs or the Conservatives.

The tax credits, and corporate welfare are larger schemes (both established and proposed).

To me the challenge isn't a need for fiscal conservatism so much as fiscal realism (if we're going to spend the money, how are we going to generate the requisite revenue); and the need to do something about crony capitalism which rewards business and assorted other 'interest groups' with myriad micro programs and credits that achieve little.

Take the little dabs here and there and the corporate welfare and you've got the bulk of pharmacare covered, if not the entirety.

Tackle adequate revenue generation and you can balance the budget in 4 years, while making priority investments.

I'm less concerned about spending less money, than I am the need to spend money more wisely and finance those expenditures in real time.

Typically a PM resigns when they lose office. Only way he wouldn't is if CPC gets a small minority just a bit larger than LPC outcome, and LPC could potentially govern with NDP. CPC may get first kick at the can to form government.
I don't think it is that simple. Even though the 'writ has dropped', the Liberal party continues to govern under the 'caretaker convention' (for example, the military might need Ministerial authority to fly into a conflict zone under the control of a government we don't recognize - Afghanistan - but I'm not certain). Depending on the numbers after the election, they could seek the support of the NDP or BQ to convince the GG that they will enjoy the confidence of the House and should be invited to form a government. It would be incumbent on them to table a 'confidence motion' at the earliest opportunity (any member can propose a confidence motion). Of course, the Coservatives could do the same thing, in theory.

They could form a coalition government; i.e. shared Executive authority, but that hasn't happened federally since Confederation. Typically it is done through written agreements between parties laying of the terms or conditions of support.

There may be nuances I have missed. Our system is not as clear-cut as others.

Liberal Twitter just makes me shake my head.

PROGRESSIVE - yet spends all his time tweeting how great the Libs are. Oh yeah, and desperate for more followers.

D7F3A59E-4FE3-4806-B29E-914D55BC0FFE.jpeg

Or this troll, who somehow has 14,000 followers, and takes a screenshot of a TikTok video to make some sort of point, then deciding to take on Ivor Tossell.
E86ADD14-DEFC-4F56-9C0C-A92F177B6E8B.jpeg
1CF7B979-7BAE-49E6-9A3A-5B5AE0EFB3BA.jpeg

Is it just a big online circlejerk?

Liberal Twitter just makes me shake my head.

PROGRESSIVE - yet spends all his time tweeting how great the Libs are. Oh yeah, and desperate for more followers.

View attachment 343311

Or this troll, who somehow has 14,000 followers, and takes a screenshot of a TikTok video to make some sort of point, then deciding to take on Ivor Tossell. View attachment 343312View attachment 343313

Is it just a big online circlejerk?
The internet has become a cancer honestly. Social media is largely to blame for the massive political divide we're experiencing. It's given voices to numbnut conspiracy theorists, and radical leftists, all the while making sure everyone has a large dose of confirmation bias with tailored feeds.

The inability to have critical discussions about differing viewpoints these days is ridiculous. It goes a little bit out of my comfort zone to say it, but I consider myself to be a progressive Christian. If I bring that up 99% of the time I'm told I'm a bigot from the 18th century, before anyone has even listened to my perspective or what I have to say.

People can't handle debate because they're so entrenched in what they believe, they see a challenge to their beliefs as a challenge their person and the existence they've created.

Having seen the number of people who don't even believe covid is real, much less take it seriously, I don't know if it's a problem that can be fixed

I predict a Liberal majority,

Collapsing polls, especially among Millennials, says otherwise.

I think there's a growing chance of a Conservative victory.

There's polling showing the Millennials want a change even more than the general public.

I suspect the housing situation has made a lot of younger people fed up and angry. And there are signs this is percolating. The Herle Burly podcast did a roundtable with swing voters. Every single one mentioned housing. Mike Moffatt, Prof at UWO and housing advocate and economist said he's been fielding tons of calls from media and the politicians he knows all say housing is the number one issue mentioned at the door.

Meanwhile the Liberals don't seem to have a coherent and sellable housing plan. Talking about how much they spent and random units built in different places isn't going to win swing ridings in the GTA.

Collapsing polls, especially among Millennials, says otherwise.

I think there's a growing chance of a Conservative victory.

There's polling showing the Millennials want a change even more than the general public.

I suspect the housing situation has made a lot of younger people fed up and angry. And there are signs this is percolating. The Herle Burly podcast did a roundtable with swing voters. Every single one mentioned housing. Mike Moffatt, Prof at UWO and housing advocate and economist said he's been fielding tons of calls from media and the politicians he knows all say housing is the number one issue mentioned at the door.

Meanwhile the Liberals don't seem to have a coherent and sellable housing plan. Talking about how much they spent and random units built in different places isn't going to win swing ridings in the GTA.

Would affordable housing not be more of the NDP domain though?

This isn't the usual "affordable housing" problem. We're at a point where a normal middle class couple can't afford a home large enough to raise a kid in large chunks of the country (not just a GTA problem). At least not without substantial support from their parents. Essentially, if you don't have parents willing to help, many can't get on the property ladder in this country. And that anger in palpable among Zoomers and younger Millennials. Quite a few of whom, are still living with their parents, voting in the 905.

The Liberals and the NDP have largely focused on making renting easier and more stable. That is not what this middle class audience wants. And the CPC is speaking directly to them:

There is an element of pandering to be sure. But if you feel the other parties aren't even speaking to your concerns....

I don't think the average university-educated Millennial will qualify for affordable housing units, and that is a huge chunk of the Millennial demographic.

The affordable housing dialogue does nothing to that huge swathe of the population, except place the cost burden of supplying those affordable units to the remaining market units that Millennial demographics are increasingly going into debt to afford.

Back