News   May 03, 2024
 207     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 340     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 778     0 

222 Jarvis Street LEED retrofit (former Sears office building, 9s, WZMH).

It is! Who says Jarvis Street is boring!

It's not the most walkable street but if one walks Jarvis from, say, Queen Street up to Bloor it's a wild and wonderful mix of styles from so many periods ranging from beautiful mansions, pre-fab towns, featureless 80's condos, 1950's apartment blocks, great Postmodernism to wonderful brutalism. Plus there's X!

April 07
Haven't follow this one until today. Jarvis is not a nice street to walk on from top to bottom.
7100858575_f090c2689b_b.jpg

7100859055_acacbac39e_b.jpg

6954790478_924bdeaac8_b.jpg

6954788638_1001aab4af_b.jpg

It is! Who says Jarvis Street is boring!

It's not the most walkable street but if one walks Jarvis from, say, Queen Street up to Bloor it's a wild and wonderful mix of styles from so many periods ranging from beautiful mansions, pre-fab towns, featureless 80's condos, 1950's apartment blocks, great Postmodernism to wonderful brutalism. Plus there's X!

A few cool buildings worth looking at for 90 seconds doesn't make a street not boring.
When people say a street is boring, it usually means there is nothing to do there. Maybe it is a hobby of yours to just look at buildings themseleves, but I am afraid 95% of people don't have such a hobby. If there is nothing to do, they don't go there. Those families probably don't have the time just to spend 4 hours looking at old buildings.

I agree Jarvis has some amazing architectures on it, but like University and Bay, it is still a pretty boring street for cars to go by most of the time. Hardly any retail or entertainment elements whatsoever.

The glass canopy they built in the front accomplishes nothing except stripping the building of its architectural integrity. They've tinkered with a design for the sake of making it look contemporary. They obviously had little regard for the architecture of this building.

The glass canopy they built in the front accomplishes nothing except stripping the building of its architectural integrity. They've tinkered with a design for the sake of making it look contemporary. They obviously had little regard for the architecture of this building.

The glass canopy also serves as a landing place for pigeon droppings - lots of them. Looking up from under the glass, all one sees is a whole mess of splats. oopsy

The glass canopy also serves as a landing place for pigeon droppings - lots of them. Looking up from under the glass, all one sees is a whole mess of splats. oopsy

that was exactly what I was thinking while looking at it. It may look all shiny when brand new, but after three months it will be filled with bird poop, dead leaves and all sorts of garbage. How often can they clean the canapy?

that was exactly what I was thinking while looking at it. It may look all shiny when brand new, but after three months it will be filled with bird poop, dead leaves and all sorts of garbage. How often can they clean the canapy?

I noticed yesterday that they had recently attempted to clean it but, not very successfully.

I noticed yesterday that they had recently attempted to clean it but, not very successfully.

Looks like they didn't really think this one through because I thought the exact same thing when I initially saw them installing the glass a few months ago.

A few cool buildings worth looking at for 90 seconds doesn't make a street not boring.
When people say a street is boring, it usually means there is nothing to do there. Maybe it is a hobby of yours to just look at buildings themseleves, but I am afraid 95% of people don't have such a hobby. If there is nothing to do, they don't go there. Those families probably don't have the time just to spend 4 hours looking at old buildings.

Whether or not they make it a hobby, people do look at buildings as they walk along streets. It is an important part of that experience for many people living in cities, but I agree that amazing architecture won't save a deserted street from being boring. It will uplift streets that have vitality. However, architecture, besides being about aesthetics, has to also support the possibility of street vitality with, for instance, storefronts by the streets and not empty green space or blank walls. It cannot make for long, monotonous blocks for a street to be interesting. The architecture of the Modern era really seemed to struggle with this necessity, perhaps because of its ideals of getting people off streets and into +15 or PATH-style systems and shopping malls.

Last edited:
Given that, there are many many "boring" streets in New York and Chicago ... and I see your point.

Ontario prunes property-and joins a growing trend
The Ontario government is putting the finishing touches on a $100-million renovation that turned Toronto’s upside-down pyramid into a showcase eco-friendly office.

The unique brown brick building at 222 Jarvis St., whose floors get progressively wider from bottom to top, was built 40 years ago, in an era when energy was cheaper and narrow windows were in vogue

The Ontario government bought the nine-storey former Sears Canada office building in 2007, and almost immediately gutted it for a total reconstruction touted as a showcase of Ontario’s commitment to bring its office buildings up to compliance with the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver standard.

The removal of hoardings a few weeks ago revealed a new multi-storey glass curtain on its facade that flattens the building’s profile from the street and lets the sun shine into an expanded atrium lobby through bigger windows. Other new features include energy-efficient heating and cooling, collectors for rainwater and solar panels on the roof to power lights that go on only when people are in a room.

But just as employees from four Ontario ministries get ready to move into the newly greened digs, the government is putting 222 Jarvis and seven other office buildings it owns around the province up for sale.

As this year’s budget put it: “The government’s main business is to provide services to the public. Being a landlord should not be a core function of government; the private sector can manage office space better and at lower cost.” Ontario hopes to get a lump sum of $500-million up front and save $300-million in costs over 25 years on the leases it would sign.

There may be savings in government selling older properties that are in need of cosmetic improvements and system upgrading, and there are a lot of REITs that look for properties they can upgrade and then turn around and sell after the improvements are made, Prof. Andrew agrees.

But he finds the sale of the Jarvis property puzzling. “I don’t want to be critical, but why would they invest all those millions into bringing it to state of the art and then turn around and sell it and then pay rent to someone who will reap the benefits? I doubt they can be sure that a buyer will pay a huge premium above what they’ve already put into the complex.”

Ontario’s Mr. Moore said “the plan is to sell and lease back these properties in an open, fair and competitive process that ensures value for Ontarians.”
More..........http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rty-and-joins-a-growing-trend/article7014969/

I'll be very interested to see what kind of cap rate will be applied to this sort of investment.

The Province offers a near perfect credit rating, and if they're signing 25 year leases it will be almost like buying a 25 year government bond. Current over 10-year Government of Canada bonds are around 3.1%. Scotia Plaza sold for a 5.2% cap last year.

For the sake of all Ontario tax-payers I hope the Ontario Government gets what they should for these properties, and not give them away with the usual lack of acumen. BTW, Brookfield Financial appears to be brokering the deal.

Should go for a ton I agree ... I believe Ontario IT Infrastructure moved all their employees here ? Anyone know where they used to be located ? Also are they taking up the entire building ? Are there really that many workers, there is a huge amount of space here (I think 500K).

Ah found part of the answer:

Previously, the Ministry of Government Services had approximately 2,300 staff in 26 different locations. In March of 2013, 1300 Ministry of Government Service's (MGS) staff settled into the new state-of-the-art facility. MGS staff from Infrastructure Technology Services, Corporate Security, Government Services Cluster and Central Agencies Cluster now fully occupy the Lower Main through to the 6th Floor of the building. An additional 1000 staff will join their colleagues with the completion of the 7th, 8th and 9th Floors in March 2014.

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Templates/Projects.aspx?id=2147488013&langtype=1033

Back