News   Apr 18, 2024
 573     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

Scheer's a yank spy. I knew it.

Don't look at me, I preferred Bernier and Chong in that particular contest.

Lenaitch,

You can watch the frontline show on AI for instance probably on pbs.org for starters. My basic point is that this is going to become a bigger and bigger issue with each Federal election, with each election anywhere from now on. There is a real hot war that has already begun it just isn’t taking place on the level of consciousness we are generally aware of (like bombs and guns etc.).

Like when you take a walk in the woods you enjoy a peaceful bucolic scene unaware of the struggle for survival going on around you and under the soil between groups of plants and fungi.

What all the data has to do with things is that companies and government have been developing data harvesting technologies but now AI has offered a way to interpret the data because patterns can be detected by the AI in novel ways humans cannot process.

For example social media has already figured out how to determine your sexual orientation because this is valuable information for advertisers. It can also triangulate around you even if you don’t use social media but people you know do. But AI is even better. It could determine your sexual orientation using street camera data or other indirect data. Just think of the lovely consequences of Chinese surveillance technology powered by facial recognition software and AI that is being sold to countries and implemented right now... where dictators rule and homosexuality is a crime.

These technologies are probably already impacting this discussion in the “nudge” sense as they can’t force us to be interested in something but our opinion is being “nudged” in a direction by algorithms feeding us not just advertising to go take our kids or niece to see Frozen II but also to read something about Trudeau or Scheer or Singh

It took me a couple of read-thoughs but I final got what you are saying. I'm a boomer and suppose I like to think I'm relatively immune; don't have a social media presence, use Adblock on search engines and am a relative non-consumer, but I guess the subtlety and insidiousness of AI helps to confirm my illusion.

I enjoyed your analogy in the second paragraph.

My dad voted for Bernier in the leadership contest, but has no use for him now that he went full nutjob.
I don't know who my pops voted for. I kept pushing Bernier and Chong on him. He didn't want to vote Berner because he said Quebecers are arrogant (thanks Trudeau!) and he didn't say much about Chong. My mum would have voted Chong, but then she stopped voting Conservative a few elections ago and went full Green, like a normal person. ;)

Man, you guys just don't understand his call for limiting immigration because of the inherent tribalism of mass immigration and multiculturalism.
That or you guys hate personal responsibility. ;)

I like him insofar as his libertarian calls against corporate welfare, personal responsibility, and socially liberal ideas. I wasn't too keen on his anti-immigration stance (though, I agree with some of his reasoning which is schizoid of me seeing as I'm a dual national "citizen of nowhere") nor his environmental laisse-fail attitude (as a lifelong Green this might be obvious).

Still like the dude though. He was wrongly painted as all sorts of nonsense by people, most tragically and disgustingly by Jagmeet Singh during the debates. That was pathetic. I liked Singh....til that display of nonsensical bullshit.

Anyway, doesn't matter, he's doing his own thing now, no doubt. Away from all the libel and all that.

PS: @doady, you clever bastard, this is where you come in and use this post as "proof" that I'm a racist! Come on, do it. You know you want to. In fact, maybe this whole post is just troll bait. Who's to say, who's to say? ( I mean a moderator, probably :p )

So, what is "The Alberta Advantage" exactly? Paying 8% less for TVs and socks?
I was having a drink at The Friar on John about a year ago when an Albertan at the bar struck up a conversation with a visiting American couple. Within a few sentences he was full-on "I'm afraid you've come to the wrong part of Canada. If you had travelled to Edmonton or Calgary instead, you wouldn't have to pay any provincial sales taxes!"

I'd never before heard of anyone consider low sales taxes a reason for people to travel somewhere. And I don't actually think it is.

I was having a drink at The Friar on John about a year ago when an Albertan at the bar struck up a conversation with a visiting American couple. Within a few sentences he was full-on "I'm afraid you've come to the wrong part of Canada. If you had travelled to Edmonton or Calgary instead, you wouldn't have to pay any provincial sales taxes!"

I'd never before heard of anyone consider low sales taxes a reason for people to travel somewhere. And I don't actually think it is.

But that is how Albertans think. They think that they are better than everyone else and hate the rest of Canada.

But that is how Albertans think. They think that they are better than everyone else and hate the rest of Canada.
Oh, you haven't met Quebec Separatists just yet- I think they're tied in terms of simultaneous sanctimonious assblastedness, as well as general historical revisionism.

Oh, you haven't met Quebec Separatists just yet- I think they're tied in terms of simultaneous sanctimonious assblastedness, as well as general historical revisionism.

I'd watch Kenney and Blanchet very, very closely - the tête-à-tête so far might be more for show given their designs for the confederation.

AoD

As ridiculous as I thought his sales tax stance was, I didn't get the sense he hated the rest of Canada either FTR. That's a bit of a reach.

That's wank as all hell.

Czechia has a 22% VAT and I sure as hell love travelling there.

I have never heard this sentiment from Albertans. Ever. None of the ones I have interacted with or know or been around. Where the hell have you been hanging out? Sounds rough. :p

British Columbians, on the other hand do get pretty self-important. I don't know about hate though.

Back