News   Jul 16, 2024
 437     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 550     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

According to many of the seat projection sites, it looks like the NDP has a shot at Mississauga-Malton. Would this be the first time in the NDP's history provincially/federally that they win a seat in Mississauga?

Sort of. Jagmeet Singh won a seat that included Malton.

I mean if you feel Wynne is already far too intrusive with too much big government thinking...it seems the NDP would be Wynne on steroids and a majority government would give them no control on that.

As I said, it all depends on what people want from government :)

OTOH if I may use my age-old metaphor, you can look at it this way...

Wynne/Horwath might represent the "regulated" maintenance of this status quo.

motel6m9b.jpg

Ford represents the freedom to do this.

motel6j12.jpg

Any questions?

This just in from University-Rosedale (the Rosedale part).

upload_2018-6-3_13-39-23.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-3_13-39-23.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-3_13-39-23.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 306
Abacus: 37-33-23: static from previous week. (Whether *this* is the new outlier is up to you to decide.)

http://onpulse.ca/blog/ndp-holds-onto-lead-over-pcs-as-outcome-is-uncertain-at-this-point

This poll came before Wynne threw in the towel.

... and I put it that way because that's how most people are interpreting it. Even though Wynne's strategy was to take herself out of the equation to try to save some seats and Liberal party status by suggesting people vote for Liberal MPPs to prevent a majority govt, most people just heard her admitting that she can't win, which in turn appears to be giving long time Liberals permission to vote NDP.

Up until that poll, almost half (49%) of Liberal voters still believed they could win. If Wynne's announcement results in even a 2 or 3 point swing to the NDP, Horwath becomes Premier.

Polls have shown the Liberals as low as 18%. This poll shows them with 23%. There's room for the NDP to recapture some of that. I'm starting to like the NDP's chances.

It is going to be so hilarious seeing the liberals get thrown into third place and be utterly humiliated in a few days :)

Do you think anyone here cares? You've been going on about "Wynne/Liberal lovers" but I haven't seen anyone in that camp on this board. Anti-Ford? For sure. But that doesn't equal loving Wynne, most people want her gone.

Polling experts having been saying that the NDP is within a 2-3% popular vote margin of swinging up to 15 seats their way. Even a modest exodus from the Liberals to the NDP would do that. But what if just 1-2% iffy PC voters had last minute second thoughts because of Doug?

Remember that Ford's poll numbers sunk when he was dealing with revelations of hiring actors and the 401 scandal before going back up when people forgot about it. The PCs lost as much as 5% during that time.
I think that a well timed Doug scandal in the next couple of days would finish him off. Police are investigating the 401 situation but I don't believe that they'll come to conclusions this quickly. If they do and press charges or at least make a statement incriminating the PC Party, that might do it.

I sure hope these Mainstreet riding polls I'm subscribing to are overestimating the PCs and underestimating the NDP. Because it does not look good at the moment - PCs should win a bunch of outer Toronto ridings due to vote-splitting. But then again Kathleen Wynne's "concession" may not have sunk in yet.

Remember that Toronto is a "child" of the province.

Our mayor, John Tory, will have to put on his short pants to visit Queens Park to get funding and things done, or not done, after the election.
Hopefully Tory will perform better once the Liberals are gone. He knew this was a Liberal town and he had to kowtow to the idiocy of the Wynne government. Now he may be more free to govern with common sense. And I recall Tory and the Fords were on good terms a while ago - and I could see a return to that since Ford would be happy to have an ally at city hall.

Isn't that a matter of perspective? It looks good if you're a PC supporter.
I think everyone agrees that the Province will do better under Ford and the PC's.

But at the same time, the leader will sound the least articulate and act the least professional.
The decision to be made on election day is whether the appearance of the leader is more important than the prosperity of the Province.

Hopefully Tory will perform better once the Liberals are gone. He knew this was a Liberal town and he had to kowtow to the idiocy of the Wynne government. Now he may be more free to govern with common sense. And I recall Tory and the Fords were on good terms a while ago - and I could see a return to that since Ford would be happy to have an ally at city hall.

I think a Premier Ford would be quite petty and vindictive towards Mayor Tory and the City of Toronto.

Back