News   Jul 16, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 498     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 615     2 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Her soldiers in the media? lol... the same soldiers who are endorsing the PC party for this election? Wasn't the only Toronto newspaper that endorsed the Liberals in the last federal election the Star? The "liberal media" is a myth.
Those are the generals. The soldiers are the columnists and reporters :). Should have also added unions to the list of "soldiers".

Wasn't the only Toronto newspaper that endorsed the Liberals in the last federal election the Star?
It did raise some eyebrows.

for 2 months reporters and columnists from all papers were reporting on how Harper was not cheerful, a few comments on his weight, his lack of enthusiasm, and his lack of camaraderie with the press. Then a week before election, the editorial boards laid out a logical argument on how Harper had produced the best economy and was the clear choice for best leader if we actually want favorable results, and not just flash-in-the-pan slogans. It appears that the months' (years') long campaign of the front line media workers could not be overcome by the logical arguments immediately prior to the election.

It did raise some eyebrows.

for 2 months reporters and columnists from all papers were reporting on how Harper was not cheerful, a few comments on his weight, his lack of enthusiasm, and his lack of camaraderie with the press. Then a week before election, the editorial boards laid out a logical argument on how Harper had produced the best economy and was the clear choice for best leader if we actually want favorable results, and not just flash-in-the-pan slogans. It appears that the months' (years') long campaign of the front line media workers could not be overcome by the logical arguments immediately prior to the election.

Choose Ford if you prefer competence over slogans? Seriously?

Everyone knows that she and the Liberals are toast. As a Leader of a major and historic party I doubt it's possible to say - "vote for the other guy". But I wonder if that is what she is really hoping for.

Just based on numbers, it is very unlikely that we will have a minority government if the Liberals only get 5 or 6 seats (although it did happen in BC). So the signal may actually be for all left wing voters to support the NDP. Even though she doesn't say it specifically, her soldiers in the media will likely report it this way as the only way to stop a Ford majority. The Liberals would be quite happy with an NDP minority because their policies would essentially continue, the party would do worse than we are doing now, and the Liberals could campaign in 4 years that things got worse since the Liberals left.
Any minority government is a loss for the Conservatives and it would put Doughie over the edge.

I thought the PC's were ahead. According to the CBC Vote Compass - they are the closest we have to a centrist party in Ontario.

That definition of "centrism" is like arguing for Robert Bateman at the Venice Biennale.

I really wish I knew where to best put my anti-Ford vote - I`m in Toronto Centre where I suspect it`s fairly close between Libs and NDP and I really don`t want to let the Tory candidate come up the middle! Oh for preferential voting!

I really wish I knew where to best put my anti-Ford vote - I`m in Toronto Centre where I suspect it`s fairly close between Libs and NDP and I really don`t want to let the Tory candidate come up the middle! Oh for preferential voting!
I'm also Toronto Centre. Considering that the incumbent Liberal essentially abandoned the riding before the election, I'm voting NDP.

Don't split the vote

So Wynne is basically saying that they're not going to win, but vote for them anyway to reduce the chance of a majority for either of the other parties. I have a feeling this is going to backfire on her - she's essentially removing the Liberals from consideration for the average voter, making it a two way race between the NDP and Conservatives.
I think it's a bit more strategic than that. But any further discussion beyond her wishing for "No Majority" result is the unspoken shhhhh! coalition. And she's right, albeit desperate to retain official party status (8 seats IIRC).

Back