News   Aug 15, 2024
 110     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 250     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 317     1 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

We mock Ford for handing out $20s but remember who placed those people in vulnerability in the first place.
The Homeless, by the very definition of their plight, means they can't and don't vote. Ford was handing out $20 bills to *residents*:
(from the National Post, those dirty leftist elitist communists)
Toronto City Councillor Doug Ford has been accused of vote buying after he was filmed handing out $20 bills to public housing residents. It’s the second time in a week he has faced accusations of using his personal wealth for political gain.

Ford was filmed by a CBC News crew giving out $20 bills from a large stack in his hand at the Toronto Community Housing building, near Albion Road and Elmhurst Drive in Rexdale. He also handed out presents to kids. [...]
http://nationalpost.com/news/doug-f...blic-housing-residents-accused-of-vote-buying

Schultz
@JeremyJSchultz

Replying to @cityslikr
A friend of mine in the Beaches said that the conservatives knocked on his door and told them to send the PC candidate to Queen's Park to "keep an eye on Doug". It's already happening.
The knives are out.

If elected, I don't expect Ford to be Premier for his full term. His closet is bursting with skeletons, so much that he's been unable to keep them all in during the election.

Ford's party largely doesn't support him and he's just barely going to get elected against an extremely unpopular Premier. They would have no reservations in dumping him as leader — something that couldn't be done in the US with Trump or in Toronto with Rob Ford but is a tool we do have in Ontario, specially if the PCs have a majority and 4 years to do it before facing another election.

Given the open commentary by Patrick Brown and other PC members slipping up, the PC Party is itching to go to civil war, just barely holding it back to get through June 7th.

If Ford won't even be the Premier for long, what's this obsession with keeping the PCs out at all costs? Surely their policies and core principles will survive whoever gets elected in. We may even get a rational leader like Todd Smith or Christine Elliot chosen as the new replacement. The key is to get in and the PCs will have no trouble using Ford for his Ford Nation base to secure victories in the key 416 and 905 areas where he is personally popular.

I attended the NDP rally earlier today at the Sheraton Centre.

It went really well.

In my riding, Eglinton-Lawrence, Mike Colle (Lib) is still really popular (and is a good man), despite his party being rotten. Robyn Vilde (NDP) is the one I'm voting for.

I'm very conflicted. I really do like my MPP, Han Dong but I'm very concerned that the Liberals would allow Ford to form a minority govt. because he'd be easy to beat in 2 years after a Liberal rebuild. Because of that, the only safe way to prevent a Ford Government of any kind is electing as many NDP MPPs as possible.

I still haven't decided what to do.

If Ford won't even be the Premier for long, what's this obsession with keeping the PCs out at all costs? Surely their policies and core principles will survive whoever gets elected in. We may even get a rational leader like Todd Smith or Christine Elliot chosen as the new replacement. The key is to get in and the PCs will have no trouble using Ford for his Ford Nation base to secure victories in the key 416 and 905 areas where he is personally popular.
Ford leaving early is wishful thinking. He will bribe his party opponents with cabinet positions and centralize all the party power. Tenycke will run the show with Ford as huckster in chief. No PC MPP will screw up their shot at power by going after their leader. Anything illegal will take too long to go through the system. If Ford wins he will be there for four years

I really wish I knew where to best put my anti-Ford vote - I`m in Toronto Centre where I suspect it`s fairly close between Libs and NDP and I really don`t want to let the Tory candidate come up the middle! Oh for preferential voting!
I still haven't decided what to do.

This is definitely the hardest election I've had so far. I'm still flip-flopping in between voting Green (tantamount to throwing my vote away) or for Kathleen Wynne. Don Valley West is an unfortunate riding for a liberal centrist to be in right now.

I can't help but think too that if the polls were already showing it being 50/50 in DVW before Wynne's concession of defeat, that the numbers must have steered well in favour to PC since.

This is what I want to happen. But what indication is there that it shall? Especially in a scenario of any majority government under Ford.

Perhaps in a minority government, the party will try to throw him out for achieving what is basically a defeat (anything short of strong majority for PC should be considered a defeat this election given the popularity of the incumbent party and their leader).

I am content in voting NDP this time.

The Trillium candidate here has been very busy with signs and robocalls. I even saw a None Of The Above sign on someone's lawn!

Ford leaving early is wishful thinking. He will bribe his party opponents with cabinet positions and centralize all the party power. Tenycke will run the show with Ford as huckster in chief. No PC MPP will screw up their shot at power by going after their leader. Anything illegal will take too long to go through the system. If Ford wins he will be there for four years

So Ford keeps his rivals in place it's bribing but when other politicians do the same its "great and visionary leadership"

I am saying there is a lot of points to attack Ford on, and that is something almost all politicians do since politics was a thing...

I also find it amusing the Star and CBC have already started the narrative of that "Wynne is better then us, we dont deserve her".

Last edited:
Wynne's concession of the election is kind of interesting because it matters but probably won't impact the results in my opinion. The reason is it will drive some to strategically vote in favour of the NDP and some to strategically vote in favour of the PCs. Seems my riding may still be in play so I may vote strategically Liberal against the NDP candidate, just as some others on this forum will be doing the opposite and voting NDP instead of Liberal.

From the Star's poll tracker it seems that recent popular support momentum is shifting to the PC's as the prospect of an NDP government becomes more tangible and hence frightening to people.

This would all have been easier if the PC membership weren't such morons and elected Christine Elliott to the super majority she would have walked into. It would have saved everyone so much grief on all sides of the political spectrum. We can't go back in a time machine but what a better world it would have been for everyone in all parties! The Liberals would lose Wynne and the Left of NDP strategists would be slain, NDP would lose Horwath who by the way outside this election cycle was disliked by a large segment of NDP members and voters (how much the prospect of winning changes peoples mood ;) ), the Fords would suffer another election loss with Doug floundering again (everyone would welcome that). Oh to dream!

Here in Davenport, most election signs on residential streets are NDP, while the only businesses with signs on College and Dundas are mostly Vietnamese, and they're all PC. Very strange.

So Ford keeps his rivals in place it's bribing but when other politicians do the same its "great and visionary leadership"

I am saying there is a lot of points to attack Ford on, and that is something almost all politicians do since politics was a thing...

I also find it amusing the Star and CBC have already started the narrative of that "Wynne is better then us, we dont deserve her".
Whataboutism that has nothing to do with the point being made.

It's funny, I can read a post and without looking I can guess the author through its slant and preconceptions. I wonder if I'm that predictable?

Back