News   Jul 16, 2024
 331     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 621     2 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Its getting weird here in Brampton, The NDP was surging but now a lot of people who I know are now freaking out over an NDP majority.

So much so that I am switching between voting NDP and Tory in my mind and I am now uncertain.

Now to a lot of you, this makes no sense as these parties are so far apart ideologically but that is what everyone here is struggling... Do we let in a 300-pound Gorilla named Ford or bring in NDP who would likely be more invasive then Wynne on peoples lives?

Last edited:
Of course not but how to ensure the progressive voters all head to the same fairly progressive parties (Liberals and NDP) and do not allow the only party with "Progressive" in their name (!!) to win.

They ditched that part of the name long ago. Patrick Brown was emphasizing it more, he won't have a job in a few weeks...

Unless there's something like BC right now, a minority government is pretty unlikely given that the third party will be so small.

True.

Last edited:
No chance in Toronto Centre. PCs will come a far distant third.

Also keep in mind: federally, the Cons got only 12.19% here in this now Rosedale-free entity in 2015. (As opposed to 17.51% in University-Rosedale, and 15.73% in condo-heavy Spadina-Fort York.)

How would the NDP be invasive in your life?

I mean if you feel Wynne is already far too intrusive with too much big government thinking...it seems the NDP would be Wynne on steroids and a majority government would give them no control on that.

As I said, it all depends on what people want from government :)

Its getting weird here in Brampton, The NDP was surging but now a lot of people who I know are now freaking out over an NDP majority.

So much so that I am switching between voting NDP and Tory in my mind and I am now uncertain.

Now to a lot of you, this makes no sense as these parties are so far apart ideologically but that is what everyone here is struggling... Do we let in a 300-pound Gorilla named Ford or bring in NDP who would likely be more invasive then Wynne on peoples lives?

The situation in Brampton is bizarre indeed, more of a cult of personality thing going on there following the Singh brothers, than any true devotion to the NDP party. But the more affluent areas are skewing Blue so time will tell.

At least the rest of Peel is heading in the right direction, with only Malton - which of course used to be part of Singh's riding swaying Orange.

According to many of the seat projection sites, it looks like the NDP has a shot at Mississauga-Malton. Would this be the first time in the NDP's history provincially/federally that they win a seat in Mississauga?

The situation in Brampton is bizarre indeed, more of a cult of personality thing going on there following the Singh brothers, than any true devotion to the NDP party. But the more affluent areas are skewing Blue so time will tell.

At least the rest of Peel is heading in the right direction, with only Malton - which of course used to be part of Singh's riding swaying Orange.

Gee...that sounds like the support for Doug (and late brother Rob) in 2014 in traditionally Conservative dead zones like north Etobicoke, York-Weston and Scarborough. Hopefully that's worn off though and that Ford has less appeal running explicitly under the PC banner.

Back