News   Jul 15, 2024
 759     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 910     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I was entirely speaking of residential customers and completely forgot about commercial customers (wtf! hahaa). Yeah, the delivery charge won't go away just because almost no power is being used. It's a standard rate. Mine is also almost 30$ and was such when I went up north last summer for the better part of July. It's gone up again....by an amount so insignificant I needed their explanatory pamphlet to notice. Also, I lied....my bill has gone up by 3-5$ since 2012. I forgot about the provincial rebate, which I neither need nor want.

How much have prices gone up for others? I honestly can't see a difference in my bill. I don't know, 35-40$ a month seems like a steal to me to have lights and a functioning tea kettle (which is all I really need).

Why does the hydro keep going out at CityPlace? Does it have to do with the electricity generator or provider?

I personally know renters, who are responsible for hydro (excluding heat and common areas) and who pay $90 in an easy month and upwards of $175 during a/c season in June-September.

While I don't think Hydro should be the issue it is; and the Libs take too much blame for a mess they helped cause, but certainly didn't start.............

I understand the series of choices that have made this a big issue.

1) Rising rates
2) Allowing landlords to sub-meter (charge tenants directly); particularly in a climate of rapidly rising rents
3)Scandals (Gasplants, but also selling off Hydro One after running and suggesting they were against such a move)
4)Bills (no, not the amount, the structure); I don't know very many people who understand the Global Adjustment Charge.

Mitigating sentiment is tough.

But changing #4 is the easiest as it doesn't change the total on the bill or cost anything beyond the admin in changing bill layout.

When you get your phone bill, you don't get an interest charge for phone company debt, and a cost charge for maintaining cell towers etc.

A simplified bill would do wonders. The cost is the cost.

Beyond that, there is a need to un-wind some gas plant contracts that were unwise to put it charitably..........one might say worse things. Some mix of legislation/buyouts but taking the edge off outstanding and unjustified liabilities would also be wise.

It would also make sense to force landlords to eat the delivery charge for hydro, as it is a fixed, predictable cost, not changeable by the tenant. Let the tenant only be responsible for actual usage, that they control.

Last edited:
I believe Wynn needs another majority term to press on with the public transit developments her party has wisely initiated. Wynn seems to be only party leader fully committed to building mass transit. With the increasing calamities of line 1 and Bloor/Yonge station in particular, I don't see a more urgent issue at the moment. Her record on that isn't great as she thus far refused any serious money for the DRL but does anyone seriously think the PCs (with or without DoFo) will be an improvement on that particular file? And the NDP have been pretty silent on that issue so, as far as I can tell, it's not priority for them either.

I believe Wynn needs another majority term to press on with the public transit developments her party has wisely initiated. Wynn seems to be only party leader who seems committed to building mass transit. With the increasing calamities of line 1 and Bloor/Yonge station in particular, I don't see a more urgent issue at the moment. Her record on that isn't great as she thus far refused any serious money for the DRL but does anyone seriously think the PCs (with or without DoFo) will be an improvement on that particular file? The NDP haven't made commitments on that issue either, so, as far as I can tell, it's not priority for them either.

I honestly think they will try to put off transit improvements as much as they can.

They are more interested in spending on social programs because they are easier to buy votes.

The argument that Wynne should be replaced because she in unpopular is just so much circular reasoning. QUOTE]

That's not what people are arguing. You are making this up to fit your own narrative.

People are saying that the PC's shouldn't be written off despite all their turmoil and uncertainty. Its because of Wynne's unpopularity that they still will have a chance.

Yeah, I also don't understand why there's a general sense of the province somehow heading into an abyss. It's simply isn't the case. I'm no Liberal (by a mile, trust), but let's be real here. Economy's fine and then some. I personally don't see the problem with hydro prices, mine having gone up from 35$ a month five years ago to 35$ a month now (oh, wait....). The debt thing I coudn't care about....I have enough of my own at WAAAAY higher interest rates. Health care works for me, mostly because I do everything in my own power to stay healthy. Something's being done about expanding public transit (my second-most important policy issue after electoral reform). It's a friggin great place to live. Do political lifers corrupt everything they touch? Yes! That doesn't mean the province is going to hell in a handbasket though.
Every phone poll that ask if I think the province is headed in the right direction gets to hear a "Yessir" from me.

I also don't understand why Wynne is so unpopular. She seems like a decent person and a typical Liberal. I think people are projecting their dissatisfaction with the Liberal party onto her.

Somebody please explain this hydro thing to me though, for real. I have no idea how people's costs have "skyrocketed" when mine have stayed roughly the same since 2012. The hydro thing is beyond being a non-issue for me. In one ear, out the other. Turn the TV and AC off...I don't know. Stop baking daily. Turn your internet router off when you're not using it. Do something other than moan.

I should edit this....I don't want to seem completely ignorant.
I understand that certain areas of the province will have higher costs of provision of power and I live in an area of the province to which it is more efficient to deliver electricity. Though, I have to say, plenty of my fellow Torontonians moaning about hydro as well so it can't be that entirely. Yup......stop using so much power. Why the hell are your Christmas lights still up and on all day?

The electricity issue is far worse outside of the 416 area. Toronto Hydro is fairly well run and because its such a big City the 'delivery' charges aren't as bad. Its in the 905 and rural areas that the increase have been far greater. People in rural areas are facing increases that were crushing their financial ability to survive. And the government and utilities were ruthless in shutting people off.

Maybe its unfair that Wynne is unpopular. She is wearing some of the angst that is carried over from the McGuinty era. For anyone that has a sense of justice, they want to see the Liberals finally pay for all their corruption and bad management of Ontario.

One thing I will say, the sale of Hydro One is bad for the people of Ontario. Wynne did not campaign on that issue. In my opinion that was the worst policy decision in our province since the sale of the 407. We are going to suffer with even higher electricity rates because of that.

Pardon me? Do you not believe that a leader so corrupt and reckless with the public finances poses a serious dangerous to society at large?

I believe she is neither corrupt, as I'm sure you'll provide no evidence of, nor reckless with public finances, which you'll provide only conservative talking points.
You spout far to much hyperbole to be calling others out as exaggerators.

Yeah, I also don't understand why there's a general sense of the province somehow heading into an abyss. It's simply isn't the case. I'm no Liberal (by a mile, trust), but let's be real here. Economy's fine and then some. I personally don't see the problem with hydro prices, mine having gone up from 35$ a month five years ago to 35$ a month now (oh, wait....). The debt thing I coudn't care about....I have enough of my own at WAAAAY higher interest rates. Health care works for me, mostly because I do everything in my own power to stay healthy. Something's being done about expanding public transit (my second-most important policy issue after electoral reform). It's a friggin great place to live. Do political lifers corrupt everything they touch? Yes! That doesn't mean the province is going to hell in a handbasket though.
Every phone poll that ask if I think the province is headed in the right direction gets to hear a "Yessir" from me.

While many macroeconomic and social indicators *look* good, I question how many Ontarians would say they are in a good position.

The sense of frustration and even anger is palpable - workers in SW Ontario losing manufacturing jobs, recent graduates who can't find good work and are stuck in part time retail or restaurant gigs, young families who can't afford even the most modest of homes, pensioners who can't afford their utility bills, and workers of all stripes increasingly facing short term and precarious employment.

While many macroeconomic and social indicators *look* good, I question how many Ontarians would say they are in a good position.

The sense of frustration and even anger is palpable - workers in SW Ontario losing manufacturing jobs, recent graduates who can't find good work and are stuck in part time retail or restaurant gigs, young families who can't afford even the most modest of homes, pensioners who can't afford their utility bills, and workers of all stripes increasingly facing short term and precarious employment.
I'm a Centrist, but I have serious concerns not so much on the *amount of debt*, but the *quality* of it.
http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content/annualreports/arbyyear/ar2017.html
https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...ario-auditor-generals-2017-annual-report.html

If Mulroney can present a better vision and articulate it with figures and facts, then she'd have my vote and that of many others, provisos applying. One proviso being that she has a *forward looking * *PROGRESSIVE* cabinet and platform.

The precedent was set for Ontario generations ago, and it would still work today: "The Big Blue Machine".

On another note:
Doug Ford has abandoned his much-trumpeted plan to again seek election as mayor of Toronto, saying he is focusing solely on becoming the next leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario.

“I will not be running for mayor,” the former city councillor told the Star on Thursday, confirming statements he made in a Wednesday night radio interview.

“I just can’t keep going back and forth,” between civic and provincial election campaigns, he said. “I’m going for the (PC) leadership and it is pedal to the metal.”

Asked if there is any chance he will reconsider if he fails to win that leadership, Ford responded firmly: “No chance.”
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-the-medal-in-ontario-pc-leadership-race.html

Thank God for small mercies...

That's not what people are arguing. You are making this up to fit your own narrative.

People are saying that the PC's shouldn't be written off despite all their turmoil and uncertainty. Its because of Wynne's unpopularity that they still will have a chance.
That is a very recent development. They can bring someone who will be very well liked, but they will be hobbled by the half-baked platform they are required to follow. I still see no reason for Wynne to be so unpopular, but then again I'm only looking at results.

I'm a Centrist, but I have serious concerns not so much on the *amount of debt*, but the *quality* of it.
https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...ario-auditor-generals-2017-annual-report.html

If Mulroney can present a better vision and articulate it with figures and facts, then she'd have my vote and that of many others, provisos applying. One proviso being that she has a *forward looking * *PROGRESSIVE* cabinet and platform.

Why not? But any "vision" that doesn't include increasing revenues would fail, because our debt was not caused by excessive spending. All figures point to that.

The only thing I am expecting from Conservatives is reduced spending, and that would be a disaster.

I don't believe that at all, unless he ends up being a candidate for Etobicoke North.

Also, I have nothing against Christine Elliott and wouldn't be too bothered if she became PC leader.
Elliot is certainly a good choice. I don't cringe watching and listening to her like I do many others. She comes across as believable, knowledgeable and likable.

The precedent was set for Ontario generations ago, and it would still work today: "The Big Blue Machine".

On another note:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-the-medal-in-ontario-pc-leadership-race.html

Thank God for small mercies...

And of course we know how honest Doug Ford is, so definitely no chance he jumps into the Mayor's race if he loses. ;)

So far the expected candidates are emerging - it's going to be interesting to see them slinging mud at each other. With a leadership convention in March they aren't going to have to much time to get into gear after.

Wynne is disliked by many, but I also think she's underestimated as both a politician and a campaigner.

Back