News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 441     0 

2015 Federal Election

Looks like the government that has the best economic performance among G7 countries is not looking so bad after all.
figure6chart_tcm77-393055.png
Of course it looks good. That graph ends at Q3 in 2014. Just around the time the oil market began to fall :rolleyes:

Three polls came out today. One had a three way tie, one had an NDP lead and one had the CPC in the lead.

This debate will be in Calgary, so I am guessing that the audience will be hand picked Harper supporters.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-fog-of-avalon-inside-canadas-most-bizarre-electoral-race?utm_source=vicefbca&?utm_source=vicefbcaads

This is a really good read.

National Newswatch ‏@natnewswatch now
Harper asked what he meant by "old stock Canadians" - Doesn't answer.

As expected.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 39s40 seconds ago
Stephen Harper sidesteps question on Wayne Gretzky & Canadian expats not being able to vote #cdnpoli

Also expected.

Last edited:
I have a great amount of respect for Wayne Gretzky, but he can't even vote in this election. It is pointless for him to endorse Harper, just as it was to endorse Patrick Brown.

After watching the debate on the 17th, I regret that's an hour (I couldn't watch the whole thing) that I'll never get back. All 3 of them went on and on but didn't say anything which has become pretty common for not just our politicians but for any. And they wonder why Trump is leading the Republicans in the States by a landslide...........

^Contrarily, I found the Canadian debate a breath of fresh air compared to the American one.

Sure there was talking over each other, pandering, ignoring question and everything else a political debate will have, but the level of discourse between Harper, Trudeau and Mulcair was so much higher and so much more respectful than the Republican debate. I am not sure if this indicates that our political leaders are more intelligent, or Canadian electorate is more intelligent in general but I for one came off that debate with a good impression of Canada's political scene despite the crappy debate format and poor moderating.

Yeah, it was nice to have a debate that wasn't about wedge issues like Planned Parenthood and Kim Davis. Also, the pandering for the GOP debate was just insane!

It's true that the Canadian debate was more polite than what you see south of the border but I find there is very little difference between the big 3. Neither Trudeau, Mulclair nor Harper did a good job of differentiating themselves from their counterparts. It seems to me they all have roughly the same political agenda and to discredit the others so they can be elected as PM.

Joe Oliver was at the Jays game. They lost.

Also, Harper tried to reach out to immigrants and his own supporters weren't happy with letting in refugees.

Last edited:
^Immigration is a good example on how they all sounded alike:

Harper - Claimed to be pro immigration and in favour of helping refugees while he accused the others of being reckless and wanting to import them without any security screenings.
Mulclair and Trudeau - Claimed Harper was anti immigration and dismissed his claims that the NDP and Liberals would take in refugees without any security clearance as fear mongering.

In other words all three candidates claimed to want to be pro immigration but with security screenings. Not that that's a bad thing; it sure beats Merkel's "everybody come to Germany with or without your ID and take advantage of our welfare system" but what I'm saying is that there is very little difference between the candidates on this issue.

Back