News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 458     0 

2015 Federal Election

UGH!

Guess the sale of those GM shares definitely came at the right time. Placing this surplus into contingency would allow the government to balance the 2015/16 budget now, removing that as an attack for the Liberals and NDP.

Also makes it easier for the NDP to promise a balanced budget, and could reduce the deficit the Liberals are willing to rack up.

Well, it would be apt to remind everyone it came from a one time sale of stocks/asset - like PC did selling the 407. Honestly though, I don't find anything surprising about this - considering that they have been positioning this for awhile now. Probably more opportune to point out that this is achieved by shortchanging the veterans and such - you know, the bread and butter of his base.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/w...rty-challenge-replaced-by-former-party-leader

Australia's Harper clone of a PM was ousted in an internal party vote. I wish we could do that here!

Haha, perhaps Harper can recruit his old bud for his job. Quite frankly though, anything less than a majority for Harper will mean a restless party looking for new blood, and I don't really see how he can get that.

AoD

Last edited:

Tuesday was the last day the CPC trailed. Every Nanos poll since then has had them near 30%.

The daily Nanos polls are posted here, for easy tracking:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/election/nanos-polls

Now, that is the last fiscal year. This year is still projected to be a deficit.

But a small deficit of $1 billion, which is technically wiped out by this surplus. Therefore, no longer projected to be a deficit based on the last known numbers.

And really, all the electorate will hear is "surplus". They won't read past that to find out just what it means or its implications or when it applies.

And really, all the electorate will hear is "surplus". They won't read past that to find out just what it means or its implications or when it applies.

Does the electorate really care that much about it though? I don't think that's the win or lose battle. The time for change theme is far more dominant - the only reason why the Cons are even competitive is vote splitting on the centre-left.

AoD

I think that people don't like to think we're in a deficit. Many (and I'm not talking about people who pay attention, but about the large number who just read headlines during an election and ignore politics the rest of the time) think "deficit bad, surplus good", so it's an attention-grabbing buzzword. Politics is so much about optics, and sadly people vote based on that rather than on information (gravy train being an excellent example)

UGH!

Guess the sale of those GM shares definitely came at the right time. Placing this surplus into contingency would allow the government to balance the 2015/16 budget now, removing that as an attack for the Liberals and NDP.

Also makes it easier for the NDP to promise a balanced budget, and could reduce the deficit the Liberals are willing to rack up.

Actually, they sold the GM shares this fiscal year.

So they have the surplus, plus the sale of shares to shore up their books this year.

That was the Provincial Liberals who sold their GM shares last fiscal year (and still managed to have a $10B deficit.

Looks like the government that has the best economic performance among G7 countries is not looking so bad after all.
figure6chart_tcm77-393055.png

Yeah all the credit for Canada's economic performance sicne the mortgage crisis goes to Stephen Harper, and it has nothing to do with Canada's strong banking system, which Harper had been advocating for the deregulation of for years.

These surpluses are starting to add up to the extra spending needed to implement the Liberal and NDP platforms :)

Back