News   Mar 28, 2024
 75     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 165     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 

2015 Federal Election

I never thought electoral reform would have come so soon. When I took high school civics class and first learned about it (around the turn of the millennium), I got the impression that most people thought "first past the post" was pretty well accepted by the public and unlikely to go away any time soon.
I'm currently studying politics in university, this is still the impression. :p

Though Trudeau makes many of us hopeful.

I'm currently studying politics in university, this is still the impression. :p

Though Trudeau makes many of us hopeful.

I think a minority of people definitely seem particularly vocal about electoral reform (seeing proportional representation as "more fair"), but sometimes I can't tell if most people are particularly opinionated on this issue either way, or if many just support FPTP by "default".

I think a minority of people definitely seem particularly vocal about electoral reform (seeing proportional representation as "more fair"), but sometimes I can't tell if most people are particularly opinionated on this issue either way, or if many just support FPTP by "default".
Judging from my program, practically the entire program wants electoral reform. Majority favors MMP, some form of PR. STV and Ranked Ballot are also favored. Everyone agrees FPTP needs to go.

But this is a unique segment of the population. Explaining the differences between electoral systems is difficult enough to explain to many classmates, let alone the general population.

Back