News   Jul 16, 2024
 673     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 596     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

He didn't say he's against it per se. He's playing the fiscal responsibility card by saying he's against any report that proposes new spending without spelling out how it'll be paid for.
Since when was it TTC's job to figure out where the money comes from. That's the politician's job.

And is there really that much new here? Most of those numbers have appeared in various documents over the last 3-4 years. Certainly the big $ items. This mostly packages up all the outstanding service issues that will impact next years budget, and packages them together conveniently in one place.

Agreed 100%. Suburban subway extensions by and large don't make sense in this day and age, especially given how quickly costs are rising. Toronto's subway network extends just about as far out as it should for now, and for the foreseeable future (aside from a new downtown subway and a few minor extensions to a logical, integrated terminus). What suburban Toronto and the 905 needs is frequent, reliable, and fast GO REX in order to get across the region quickly, and a network of LRTs and BRTs to get people to and from the nearest GO REX station quickly.

The only way they would make sense is if we had a real estate crash and value of the land dropped like a stone.

Agree in general, though it's not yet clear how effective a non-core/periphery GO REX system will work, given the diffuse nature of ridership (esp. employment) outside the core.

AoD

That's where I would assume the local transit component comes in, where you would transfer from GO REX to a connecting bus that brings you (hopefully) within walking distance of the office. They would also act as feeders into the GO REX or subway.

He didn't say he's against it per se. He's playing the fiscal responsibility card by saying he's against any report that proposes new spending without spelling out how it'll be paid for.

Which isn't unreasonable; except TTC management doesn't decide how funds are collected and has to release the report to the commission to determine if they're willing or able to perform that step.

Tory will figure out how municipalities in Ontario work, about 18 months to 2 years into his 4 year term. Holding still is better than falling backward but not by much.

Yes, isn't that the "fiscal responsibility" card that has gotten us into the transit mess we're in right now? Ad hoc budgeting, utter loack of long-range planning, etc.

AoD

Since when was it TTC's job to figure out where the money comes from. That's the politician's job.

And is there really that much new here? Most of those numbers have appeared in various documents over the last 3-4 years. Certainly the big $ items. This mostly packages up all the outstanding service issues that will impact next years budget, and packages them together conveniently in one place.

Tory looks bad not to support this. Like I said, I still think he will cave on Sheppard East, if he can't even support bus improvements because of fears of losing the support of the outer 416

This is coming from the same guy who's proposed an overpriced $8 Billion GO RER line, with no plan to pay for it.

This is coming from the same guy who insists on supporting the Scarborough Subway, even though he knows that his SmartTrack proposal will siphon riders from the borderline underused Scarborough Subway.

The only reason Tory doesn't want to support this is because it fits Chow's proposals to improve surface routes.

Even Ford is behind this! You know Tory's campaign has fallen apart when even Ford has a better transit platform!!

I don't agree. Ford would have a better transit platform if he dropped support for Sheppard and Finch Subway.

But it's still sad that Tory's and Ford's transit platforms are even comparable.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tory takes a hit in the polls because of this..

I'm still rooting for Chow as she is the only likely candidate with a realistic transit plan, though I am dissapointed that she doesn't support the 2 hour fare.

I'm still rooting for Chow as she is the only likely candidate with a realistic transit plan, though I am dissapointed that she doesn't support the 2 hour fare.
The 2 hour fare is a massive selling point. Chow and Ford both dropped the ball.

As for the report, even with TTC and council support, it means little until budget deliberations get underway after the election.

The 2 hour fare is a massive selling point. Chow and Ford both dropped the ball.

As for the report, even with TTC and council support, it means little until budget deliberations get underway after the election.

Why are you giving an out for Tory on this? All he had to say was "I support increased bus service" that's it! One sentence and that takes 5 seconds to say. Ford outflanked him today. innsert is right here. Chow and Tory will be tied again in two weeks because of this, he should be going into September with the lead given how bad Olivia was at the debates this month and July.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tory takes a hit in the polls because of this..

Really??? That's extremely surprising and disappointing. Why wouldn't she support 2 hour fares?

Really??? That's extremely surprising and disappointing. Why wouldn't she support 2 hour fares?
Because it's the primary component of the operating cost increase.

I'm sure as soon as someone whispers in her ear, the implications of trying to implement the current transfer system into Presto, she'll quietly let it go through.

For the record, if John Tory's plan comes in, I have no issues with ditching the BD extension and going with LRT (I do wish, they'd branch along Eglinton East as well to serve south Scarborough). I think he's keeping it in because of the politics of the cancellation.

Double? More like triple or more. I work at Downsview.

Condo at Bathurst and Fort York. From there to work. 1.5 hrs by transit. Just under 1 hr by car.

Stay at parents at Morningside Heights. 2 hrs by TTC. 45 mins in traffic by car.

Didn't you read Downlingm's post? In the eyes of many on this board, all outer 416 residents, not wealthy enough (or who dare to have kids and require more space) to live in the core, should suffer transit hell because it's their fault. Slackers that they are. How dare they earn less than six figures and live in the 416? They should go live in the 905, where lesser forms of (transit hating) life belong!

I've always maintained that the whole "Scarbrough bad" idea was at least partly based on racism. But I think it's also based on the ignorance of elites who see themselves as benevolent. "Don't those dumbasses in Scarborough know that the light rail will save them a whole bunch of time [10-20 mins is a lot for a downtowner...that's half his commute] on their commute? Clearly they hate transit and support cars." No understanding at all of the realities of actual working class families or their concerns. Just railfan fantasies and bashing of a public that actually insists on quality transit.

And people wonder why Rob Ford is as popular as he is....

Now that you have a subway from your door to your job, you admit your willingness to consign your former neighbours—your brothers and sisters—to subway oblivion. You got yours, screw them?

Who is the racist now? You'll never see me flipping sides or talking out of both sides of my mouth, I'll be reppin the M1B till the day I die.

Back