News   Jul 17, 2024
 52     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 700     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 610     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Didn't you read Downlingm's post? In the eyes of many on this board, all outer 416 residents, not wealthy enough (or who dare to have kids and require more space) to live in the core, should suffer transit hell because it's their fault. Slackers that they are. How dare they earn less than six figures and live in the 416? They should go live in the 905, where lesser forms of (transit hating) life belong!

I've always maintained that the whole "Scarbrough bad" idea was at least partly based on racism. But I think it's also based on the ignorance of elites who see themselves as benevolent. "Don't those dumbasses in Scarborough know that the light rail will save them a whole bunch of time [10-20 mins is a lot for a downtowner...that's half his commute] on their commute? Clearly they hate transit and support cars." No understanding at all of the realities of actual working class families or their concerns. Just railfan fantasies and bashing of a public that actually insists on quality transit.

And people wonder why Rob Ford is as popular as he is....

Thanks for making me laugh like a fool on my bus. People are staring.

Anyways my goal as a snobbish downtown elitist is to improve transit all across our city to the point where driving is no longer a necessity. It's why I support the Transit City Bus & LRT Plan and it's why I support GO RER.

Now excuse me while I sip on my latte.

Didn't you read Downlingm's post? In the eyes of many on this board, all outer 416 residents, not wealthy enough (or who dare to have kids and require more space) to live in the core, should suffer transit hell because it's their fault. Slackers that they are. How dare they earn less than six figures and live in the 416? They should go live in the 905, where lesser forms of (transit hating) life belong!

I've always maintained that the whole "Scarbrough bad" idea was at least partly based on racism. But I think it's also based on the ignorance of elites who see themselves as benevolent. "Don't those dumbasses in Scarborough know that the light rail will save them a whole bunch of time [10-20 mins is a lot for a downtowner...that's half his commute] on their commute? Clearly they hate transit and support cars." No understanding at all of the realities of actual working class families or their concerns. Just railfan fantasies and bashing of a public that actually insists on quality transit.

And people wonder why Rob Ford is as popular as he is....
And what has that racist yahoo done to improve transit in the outer 416? It's Miller who proposed all the transit improvements for the outer 416, and screwed downtown in the process.

Why are you giving an out for Tory on this? All he had to say was "I support increased bus service" that's it! One sentence and that takes 5 seconds to say.
I heard him criticize the lack of a funding plan, not the plan itself.

Dunno why he didn't he say what you wanted to hear. Aren't you the one with family members working for the Tory campaign? Ask them.

Dunno why he didn't he say what you wanted to hear. Aren't you the one with family members working for the Tory campaign? Ask them.

I will this afternoon. And what lack of funding? Since when was that the TTC's field?
Thanks for making me laugh like a fool on my bus. People are staring.

Anyways my goal as a snobbish downtown elitist is to improve transit all across our city to the point where driving is no longer a necessity. It's why I support the Transit City Bus & LRT Plan and it's why I support GO RER.

Now excuse me while I sip on my latte.

Maybe the people don't want that, what do you do?

Last edited:

I find John Tory to be incredibly anti-constructive. The damn man is willing to promote a single glorified GO RER line for $8 billion, and yet when presented with a list of low-cost improvements to the TTC that could make a huge difference for Toronto, balks because of a lack of funding.

In a city as transit starved as this one that's entirely the wrong approach to take. It's taken years to even get the TTC to come to the point of recognizing the benefits of things like timed transfers and POP - much less even recommend their implementation. Don't screw this up for us, Tory! :p

I have to reiterate that if I were living in the City of Toronto and voting in this election I would be voting for Chow. Anyone leaning to the right, even moderately like the aptly-named Mr. Tory, is NOT what a city like Toronto, needing improvement and infrastructure and investment across the board, needs right now.

So the whole municipal election transit debate leaped into a new sphere when Chow adviser (although they are now just calling him a "volunteer to the campaign") Warren Kinsella called John Tory's SmartTrack "seggregationist".....putting out a fake image where he attributes to Tory words like.....see how we intentionally avoided areas like Rexdale and Jane/Finch.

Here is the image he tweeted in case anyone missed it.

kinsellas_tory_fakeimage.jpg

Aside from the bizarre step of trying to attach racism to another candidate....it does avoid the obvious that Jane/Finch will be pretty well served by access to the nearly open Spadina subway extension and Rexdale (sometimes called Etobicoke North) will be pretty well served by the GO RER plan that SmartTracks is built upon via the station conveniently called "Etobicoke North".

Attachments

• kinsellas_tory_fakeimage.jpg
    kinsellas_tory_fakeimage.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
I find John Tory to be incredibly anti-constructive. The damn man is willing to promote a single glorified GO RER line for $8 billion, and yet when presented with a list of low-cost improvements to the TTC that could make a huge difference for Toronto, balks because of a lack of funding.

In a city as transit starved as this one that's entirely the wrong approach to take. It's taken years to even get the TTC to come to the point of recognizing the benefits of things like timed transfers and POP - much less even recommend their implementation. Don't screw this up for us, Tory! :p

I have to reiterate that if I were living in the City of Toronto and voting in this election I would be voting for Chow. Anyone leaning to the right, even moderately like the aptly-named Mr. Tory, is NOT what a city like Toronto, needing improvement and infrastructure and investment across the board, needs right now.

Agreed. SmartTrack, even with the eglinton corridor wont cost that much!

So the whole municipal election transit debate leaped into a new sphere when Chow adviser (although they are now just calling him a "volunteer to the campaign") Warren Kinsella called John Tory's SmartTrack "seggregationist".....putting out a fake image where he attributes to Tory words like.....see how we intentionally avoided areas like Rexdale and Jane/Finch.

Here is the image he tweeted in case anyone missed it.

Aside from the bizarre step of trying to attach racism to another candidate....it does avoid the obvious that Jane/Finch will be pretty well served by access to the nearly open Spadina subway extension and Rexdale (sometimes called Etobicoke North) will be pretty well served by the GO RER plan that SmartTracks is built upon via the station conveniently called "Etobicoke North".

That's a strange thing to hear from Chow. However Rexdale and Jane & Finch would be even better served by the Finch LRT, which Tory does not want to build. And Etobicoke north is not included in his Smart Track plan.

I'm no SmartTrack fan but those comments are just asinine. I mean, first of all, Rexdale and Jane-Finch will get good service from the TYSSE and the FWLRT when both of those open/come to fruition.

Perhaps more importantly, there aren't exactly rail corridors through those areas for SmartTrack to use. Other than the existing Kitchener GO through Etobicoke and the potential for a Bolton GO near the 427, both of which are on Metrolinx's slate anyways.

That's a strange thing to hear from Chow. However Rexdale and Jane & Finch would be even better served by the Finch LRT, which Tory does not want to build. And Etobicoke north is not included in his Smart Track plan.

No Etobicoke North is an existing station on the GO KW line which will be (according the government) getting 15 minute electrified service 7 days per week....so the level of service and connectivity will be very good......just need some fare integration.

Interesting, to me, that Mr. Kinsella (in subsequent tweets) modified his criticism to say he does not think Tory is racist bu "It's fair to ask if his plan treats all parts of the city equally, however." Clearly it does not (and no transit line does) but Mr. Kinsella picked specific neighbourhoods to point out for a reason.....he could have said it does not serve Leaside but did not.

Now that you have a subway from your door to your job, you admit your willingness to consign your former neighbours—your brothers and sisters—to subway oblivion. You got yours, screw them?

Who is the racist now? You'll never see me flipping sides or talking out of both sides of my mouth, I'll be reppin the M1B till the day I die.

What nonsense. I'll be moving back to Scarborough in September. The condo was a temporary move so that I can live with a business partner to get our startup moving.

I'm willing to let the subway go if and only if, they can present a reasonable alternative that actually reduces commute times. That to me is some kind of GO REX or SmartTrack line to northern Scarborough and feeder service properly integrated with the TTC.

By the way, Bathurst and Fort York has no subway at the doorstep last I checked. My Bathurst streetcar ride is at least 20 minutes. And my postal code from age 12 to 23 was M1B 1A8. Folks live in M1X today...

olivia_chow_2014_transit_plan_1024x520_KB.jpg

Today, Olivia Chow released her transit map and compared it with John Tory’s. It starts moving people now, moves more people, covers more of the city and doesn’t rely on unrealistic funding schemes.

“My plan is a better plan because it starts investing now, to move people now,†said Olivia. “New projects start faster, serve more people and cost less. We need a change in direction, and it starts with investing now to improve service now, right across the city.

“My plan is better than Mr. Tory’s because it moves people sooner, and brings service to more parts of the city faster,†she said.

Olivia’s plan is comprehensive. It agrees with the TTC that buses are key to get people moving now, and will invest $15 million a year immediately. It’s consistent with the existing agreement with the province. It reflects what experts advise, and includes the TTC’s top priority of a subway relief line.

“John Tory opposes investing now to move more people now,†said Olivia. “That’s not good enough because people can’t wait to get moving, and with my better plan they won’t.â€

She noted the approach of Mr. Tory looks just like Mr. Ford’s in 2010. They both opposed investing today to improve service now. They both demonized above-ground rail. They both refuse to incorporate cycling or pedestrians in transport plans. And they both—whether it’s subways or Mr. Tory’s latest priority—hold up faraway projects with huge costs they say no-one will have to pay.

“Mr. Ford didn’t get people moving and Mr. Tory won’t either,†said Olivia. “We need a change in direction. So let’s make that change, start investing now and start moving people now.â€

The differences between Olivia’s plan and Mr. Tory’s are:

Olivia supports investing now in buses. 60% of all TTC rides include a bus, and it’s the fastest, most widespread way to boost service. Mr. Tory opposes investing in buses. As such, he is openly campaigning on investing nothing in service improvements in the next term.

Olivia supports the existing agreement for above-ground rail in Scarborough. It is 2.9km longer than underground rail with four more stops. It will be finished four years faster. Mr. Tory disagrees. He would delay until 2019, serve fewer people and spend $1 billion more.

Olivia supports the TTC’s number one priority of a subway relief line. In April, she said she would invest in one to bring federal and provincial governments to the table. Mr. Tory began his campaign saying it was his top priority. He now attacks Olivia for supporting it.

Olivia supports the existing, provincial plans for light rail along Sheppard East and Finch, which will bring service to areas in desperate need of it. Mr. Tory has left these off his map.

Olivia supports electrifying GO lines and has for years. Fare integration with GO would allow these to be used for intra-city travel. Mr. Tory wants to piggy-back his new priority onto some of these lines at a cost of $8 billion, and $100 million in debt costs to the city.

Back