News   Apr 15, 2024
 961     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 652     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

There is no inequality in access. The lines are based on density. If Scarborough wants to see empty subways that's what will happen but that politics. If Scarborough truly wanted the subway they would show it. The entire point is to raise property values in Scarborough.

Inequality in access always exists, it is caused by the very nature of high-order transit construction. Once you select a route, some riders will be closer to it and some will be further.

It is impossible to eliminate such inequality, but possible to reduce it by spreading out high-order "trunk" lines.

Scarborough subway won't be empty; its load will be similar to that of the western section of BD (west of Jane) or Spadina subway (north of Wilson). The local density in those areas is similar, and the feeder network may even be slightly better in Scarborough (both N-S and E-W routes).

There is no evidence that the desire to raise property values was the main motivation for Scarborough subway. However, it is evident that riders from Scarborough heading downtown prefer to have two transfers (bus - BD - Yonge) rather than three transfers (bus - RT - BD - Yonge).

With regards to "equality", I recommend those who haven't watch this talk:
http://www.humantransit.org/2014/02/video-my-presentation-in-toronto.html

He explains the various forms of equality possible and why equality by geography (number of subway stations in each former municipality, or "spreading out" the subways) isn't necessarily equality in a fair sense.

The number of subway stations in each former municipality is, indeed, a useless measure. A subway or commuter train station just across the former border and easily accessible with local transit is more valuable for a rider than a station located at the other end of the former municipality and not easily accessible. Thus, the Spadina subway extension will help northern Etobicoke even though it won't cross its border. A DRL - Don Mills line would help the western Scarborough even if it did not cross the border.

However, I respectfully disagree regarding the spreading out of subways; that does help downtown-bound riders from every neighborhood, even though does not solve all problems.

It's part of Tory's ambitious plan to lose the election.

Perhaps his ambitious plan is to siphon off some of Rob Ford's supporters so that neither of them will win :D. As for Karen Stintz on the other hand, her ambitions change on a daily basis like a sunflower which follows the sun, so stay tuned for next week's transit plan.

I guess water taxis are "Ambition" now? Chow is realistic, not off in fantasy land.

"Ambition" is in the declared commitment to DRL subway. Whether it works or not, remains to be seen. But if Chow does not even treat DRL as a priority, it is even less likely to happen.

Water taxis is a minor project, that obviously cannot transport a lot of people.

Ford's inability to create coherent plans is well known.

But Stintz and Tory appeal to me much more than Chow. At least, those two show some ambition on transit expansion, whereas Chow seems to set the bar rather low.

How is Stintz' plan ambitious? What is ambitious about trying to sell off Hydro, and taxing public parking space and letting private spaces pay nothing? Stintz' plan is awful.

Frankly I'm unimpressed by these candidates. The only one I found somewhat reasonable doesn't have a chance of winning. I will be voting strategically in the next election to ensure Ford is booted out and doesn't come anywhere close to politics in this city again.

Frankly I'm unimpressed by these candidates. The only one I found somewhat reasonable doesn't have a chance of winning. I will be voting strategically in the next election to ensure Ford is booted out and doesn't come anywhere close to politics in this city again.

Do you mean Soknacki? If so, I agree, and I agree. Although the recent new crack video should help with the Ford thing.

Seems Ford finally realizes that no money is coming from the private sector to pay for his subways:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-property-taxes-to-pay-for-more-subway-lines/

Woohoo, Ford demonstrating his inability to think logically by promising to help fund subways with a 0.25% property tax hike! I'm sure Ford Nation is thrilled with his near-PhD-level skills in mathematics.

On a serious note, the fact that he's still pushing the Sheppard Subway frightens me. The SELRT needs to be protected as a project, not even entirely for its own usefulness but for the fact that with it the Sheppard Subway will finally die, at all costs.

How is Stintz' plan ambitious? What is ambitious about trying to sell off Hydro, and taxing public parking space and letting private spaces pay nothing? Stintz' plan is awful.

Taxing public parking spaces is fine with me. Taxing commercial parking spaces is fine too, but it don't care much which of them is taxed as long as the needed finding is obtained.

Selling Hydro may be worth doing if it actually gets us DRL.

On a serious note, the fact that he's still pushing the Sheppard Subway frightens me. The SELRT needs to be protected as a project, not even entirely for its own usefulness but for the fact that with it the Sheppard Subway will finally die, at all costs.

Using Sheppard LRT as a tool to kill the subway is as silly as most of Ford's politics.

I think that Sheppard LRT is fine based on its own benefits, but it will work much better if it gets connected to Scarborough subway. Then it will feed into two subway lines at two different points, rather than forcing all riders from the east to endure a long trip to Don Mills interchange.

Back