News   Jul 16, 2024
 89     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 267     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I saw some Ford Nation lady on Cp24 literally CRYING as Doug was losing and then going on about how she's going to have to move now and it's so frustrating how so few people get how municipal politics works. She was barely even human; just Cognitive Dissonance with legs and arms.

At that moment, I actually felt a little embarrassed for the Ford team. That level of lipstick malfunction is a clear indication of serious mental disability....you know...the people that hang out during the day around Queen/Ossington.

But that's the kind of normal die-hard Ford Nation types you see at the functions.

You replied to TheTigerMaster's post saying that "Thought it was tacky for her to quote Jack's famous words in her defeat speech.". I responded to your post. Your post doesn't seem to be responding to any posts directed at you. Bud indeed, chill! :confused:

To which PinkLucy, Picard102, AlvinofDiaspar, denfromoakvillemilton, and Riverdale Rink Rat all responded to (and quoted) me. I then responded to them, that's how discussions work. To imply that I somehow was trying to derail the conversation and drive my own agenda with multiple irrelevant and one sided comments, with no other contributors is quite simply false. I made a comment, others responded, and then I responded.

In particular AlvinofDiaspar pointed out that my Clinton analogy might not be appropriate and I admitted my lack of knowledge in US Politics.

nfitz you don't have to agree with me but don't start throwing accusations around.

Ward 33 is an enigma. Shelley Carroll won 61% of vote, but Doug also had highest voting percentage for mayoral candidates with 41%.

The reason why 33's Ford support's so insular in that part of NY may be because (a) its heart is defined by the high rise colonies from the Peanut on down, i.e. hives for the kinds of immigrants/multicultis that typically gravitate Fordward; (b) east of the 404 operates more as the westward dribbling of Agincourt than anything North Yorkian; (c) the Sheppard LRT-unless-it's-a-subway route beginneth here.

As for Carroll; well, she works hard for her turf, and she didn't resort to showy endorsements. And remember from other Ford wards that Ford nodes aren't necessarily Con-leaning nodes at other levels of government.

I fogot to ask: for those of you who went to the election night party at NPS, how did it go? Was the turnout good? Did you encounter any Ford Nationites?

And the least educated voted for Ford. None of this is surprising, really. The irrationality and simple-mindedness of Ford Nation is the preserve of the uneducated.
I'm pretty dumb myself. University drop out, working class slave-cog, but I guess the two years of university (and subsequent stints at a college and another uni) imbued me with enough sense to at least vote for Goldkind. ;)

The least educated or at least the lowest income voted for both Ford and Chow.

In essence this refutes the arguments made here.

The funny thing is the most educated in Toronto and the least educated in Scarborough and Etobicoke are in agreement, as in neither voted for Chow.

Last edited:
nfitz you don't have to agree with me but don't start throwing accusations around.
I haven't made any accusations. I merely commented on your original post that you thought Olivia Chow's comments were tacky. As noted, I disagree with this assessment. As to the rest of your comments with others - I didn't read them.

It was a disgrace for CP24 to broadcast the results while people were still in line waiting to vote, has anyone complained about this? Where would you complain? ElectionsToronto or CRTC? It is really surprising that our networks have no sense of propriety on election night.

It was a disgrace for CP24 to broadcast the results while people were still in line waiting to vote, has anyone complained about this? Where would you complain? ElectionsToronto or CRTC? It is really surprising that our networks have no sense of propriety on election night.
Why pick on CP24? Everyone broadcast the results, the second that the city released them, including the government-owned CBC and TVO.

Surely then it was a disgrace for the city to release the election results while people were still in line waiting to vote. Why shoot the messenger?

Though the city did hold the results back unusually late because there was an unusual number of polls that were open late.

I'm aware of one poll (Regent Park) that were open very late. Surely most of the 1,000+ pollls had closed by the time the city finally started releasing results.

I know of one other station that still had people in line after 8pm, and I mentioned CP24 because I was watching it, I was not watching CBC or TVO so is it proper for the broadcasters in a desperate bid to be first to reveal the results? That is why I asked if ElectionsToronto was the place to complain. Regent Park certainly has some work to do ahead of the next election. The "messenger" has a responsibility too, it was incredibly irresponsible with CP24 showing that line up and still revealing the results.

I mainly blame the bureaucrats involved for releasing the results before the polls had closed. The networks shouldn't be policing this.

Why is that a disgrace? Did you even vote?

If so, you would have noticed signs clearly saying no cell phones allowed at your voting place. If you were watching or paying attention to the results while in line, you weren't following the rules. That is more of a disgrace.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone. Thought I'd share U of T Cities Podcast - final episode feat. Richard Florida, Patricia McCarney, Director of Global Cities Institute; U of T President Meric Gertler and author Kathryn Kuitenbrouwer; http://news.utoronto.ca/u-t-cities-podcast-final-episode-future-cities. Learn more about Junction bear wrestling, animals in our hoods, and who will live where in the city of the future.

Previous episodes focused on transit (Eric Miller, who is on Tory's transition team now, was among people interviewed for that one), traffic, and building sustainable cities. OK here come all the links!

- U of T Cities podcast episode one: the future of traffic
- U of T Cities podcast episode two: the future of transit
- U of T Cities podcast episode three: sustainable cities

Full disclosure: Yes I do work at UofT, though not directly with people who produced the series. I just like what they did and thought I'd share. Thanks all.

I know of one other station that still had people in line after 8pm
I suspect a few polls still had lines after 8 pm. However there were no results released until almost 8:15. That should have been enough to have deal with the lines outside most polling stations.

Perhaps the city should have held the results for another half-hour or so. On the other hand, one or two very troubled polls out of 1,500 or so isn't a huge issue. The bigger issue is why were there long line-ups. My guess in Regent Park is that the combination of a much higher turnout, and more voters than the last election lead to not enough polling stations.

... is it proper for the broadcasters in a desperate bid to be first to reveal the results?
The results were also (and perhaps first) posted on the City's Election Services website.

That is why I asked if ElectionsToronto was the place to complain.
I'm not sure what ElectionsToronto is. I can't see any point about officially complaining to anyone about the media reporting what has been officially released by the City of Toronto.

If you want to complain about Election Services, I suppose you could complain to Election Services and they ask people to send feedback to elections@toronto.ca

I'd think if you went above them though, you'd should complain to the Minister responsible - Ted McMeekin, the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing

The "messenger" has a responsibility too, it was incredibly irresponsible with CP24 showing that line up and still revealing the results.
I think the "messengers" responsibility to report what the City of Toronto has announced trumps any issues with them revealing the results. Particularly given that those yet to vote had no legal way to access to such results.

Back