News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 366     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

You're probably right. The only thing I can think of is maybe Thorncliffe & Flemington Park, there's a significant black population there right? Although, that ward also contains one of the whitest areas, Leaside :)
Thorncliffe? Used to be more East Asian when I used to live near there, than anything else.

Flemington Park? I'd be surprised - but I don't spend much time in Lawrence Heights.

What I'm saying is that terminology of that sort has a certain connotation that implies some sort of apartheid.

You're probably right. The only thing I can think of is maybe Thorncliffe & Flemington Park, there's a significant black population there right? Although, that ward also contains one of the whitest areas, Leaside :)

This map shows the racial distribution in Toronto:
http://neoformix.com/Projects/DotMaps/TorontoVisMin.html

If anyone is interested, they should look at the racial distribution map for some American cities, particularly Chicago. If you zoom down to the street level you'll see that the racial makeup of the city is divided by the streets; one side will be one black and the other side will be white. It's incredible that people live with such well defined racial boundaries. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live in a city with such blatant racial segregation and how it would change the social dynamic.

Seriously ? Soft on what / who ? What does this mean ? and yes what are "black" neighborhoods ; ) But I know what you are referring to, I guarantee you 'blacks' are likely still in the minority in the neighborhoods you cite, maybe "lower income" ? That may not even be good enough.

What do you mean by "soft". As in not hard enough to stand up to the councilors at City Hall?

Soft like panzy soft. People have this image as rob being "in the streets", same with doug. Ford bros are street guys, down with the cause. Tory is seen as upper crust and doesn't understand black people and culture, ford bros do. At least that's what I hear talking to people.

If anyone is interested, they should look at the racial distribution map for some American cities, particularly Chicago. If you zoom down to the street level you'll see that the racial makeup of the city is divided by the streets; one side will be one black and the other side will be white. It's incredible that people live with such well defined racial boundaries. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live in a city with such blatant racial segregation and how it would change the social dynamic.

OH I completely agree, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Chicago has very stark racial boundaries, as do places like Detroit.

Toronto is much more mixed than many American cities. That map also doesn't really show cultural or immigrant background distribution, like Italian-Canadians etc.

I'm just saying that there do tend to be areas that are tend to lean towards certain cultural or racial groups. You go to one part of the city or go to another and you can see a difference in demographic make up of that area.

Soft like panzy soft. People have this image as rob being "in the streets", same with doug. Ford bros are street guys, down with the cause. Tory is seen as upper crust and doesn't understand black people and culture, ford bros do. At least that's what I hear talking to people.

Ah in that sense ! Maybe I should better phrase it; If you're in a street fight you want Ford on your side ? I guess .. ? ..

Err why are such people allowed to vote, I think there should be an IQ test, maybe not that exactly, but something ..

Of course you want Ford on your side in a street fight. Have you seen what an agitated crackhead is capable of? Back in my Parkdale days.....

Yeah that's exactly what I thought you were trying to say and I agree fully.

OH I completely agree, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Chicago has very stark racial boundaries, as do places like Detroit.

Toronto is much more mixed than many American cities. That map also doesn't really show cultural or immigrant background distribution, like Italian-Canadians etc.

I'm just saying that there do tend to be areas that are tend to lean towards certain cultural or racial groups. You go to one part of the city or go to another and you can see a difference in demographic make up of that area.

Oh and I didn't mean to suggest that you meant to suggest otherwise. I just thought it would be an interesting thing for people to look at if they've never seen it before.

It's a little humours when people claim that America, or even Toronto, is "post racial . Folks, this map and the aforementioned Toronto map (although it is far better) is not "post racial". We've come a long way, but there's still quit a way to go:http://www.radicalcartography.net/index.html?chicagodots

7D45A2F5-31A3-40D5-B470-61239D39776F_zpsp9ocugnv.png

Many pointed out on social media how this reflects the pretty-well-known Hulchasnki "3 cities" map of Toronto.
Chow needed to appeal to the suburbs and she barely got out of her own neighbourhood; couldn't even take the Beach?
Overall, what it really shows is that there remain start, systemic divides in the city and no candidate bridged any gaps; everyone is dug in like ticks. I don't know that Tory or Chow, or any individual can bridge those gaps but I hope they really try.

Back