News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

So Tory won.

Interesting: My ward, ward 36 - Scarborough-Southwest - is the only one to vote Tory in Scarborough. All the rest voted Ford. I didn't realize quite how much Ford was liked in Scarborough. I knew the Ford bros. we're popular but I figured at least a couple of other wards in Scarborough would go Tory.

It's also interesting to note that the two top candidates were centre right and right, comprising 3/4 of the vote across TO. The left got decimated.

And so far (9:05 pm), 60% turnout. Impressive.

The makeup of this Council will be very important for our city for the next four years.

1. Most of the Councillors got elected with a very strong mandate. I expect the councillors to be very firm and potentially divisive in their positions. Tory will have a hard to building a consensus in Council
2. Tory has a weak mandate; of approximate 43% as of 9:06 pm. He won't be able to use a strong mandate as a tool to lead council.
3. Tory has historically been a very weak leader.

With all these points considered I don't expect Tory to effectively lead this Council.

Considering that nearly everyone on Council was reelected, I expect that this Council, and therefor our city will lean centre-left for the next four years

Thank you central North York!! For saving us from Ford more years!!!

Yeah, I guess those beers I promised to those who voted for Tory have to be shipped north from my place.

I voted for Goldkind as I said I would and when the results first started coming in and it was rather close, I started worrying that I would spiral into a deep self-hating depression if Ford won with one vote.

Last edited:
Around dinnertime today, election day, I told my husband that I thought Tory's margin of victory would be much less than the polls were indicating. I turned out to be correct.

I am relieved that D. Ford has been beaten. I am not surprised that the suburban voters have returned useless councillors such as Mammo, Shiner, R. Ford, not to mention Nunziata and so on.

I am not surprised when I see how Etobicoke and Scarborough voted massively for D. Ford. The centre of the city saved it for us … Tory has prevailed … but Tory has work to do, this town is so divided. In fact, I'd de-amalgamate in a flash - same reaction as I had 4 years ago. Do we have to live in the same room as people who would return such weasels as Mammo, R. Ford, and Shiner to city hall? These are my thoughts right now.

Best wish to John Tory tonight, I believe he is the best candidate to address the divisions in Toronto.

Just finished an online test. And now I see the results. Holy crap. Can't believe that Etobicoke and Scarborough still broke for Ford so resoundingly. I didn't even see that many Ford signs in Scarborough....

7D45A2F5-31A3-40D5-B470-61239D39776F_zpsp9ocugnv.png

Back