News   Jul 11, 2024
 5K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 659     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 684     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

It looks like this may be a Chow moment*.

Chow (or at least her team), made racist accusations against Tory. Since it was so outside the realm of believability that public anger quickly turned against Chow. This was a major event in the dropping of Chow from leader in the polls to 3rd place.

Now similarly Tory has made racist accusations against Ford. With Fords wife being Jewish, this is equally outside the realm of believability. Will public anger now switch against Tory. This may be the moment that the fall of Tory begins.

* - I won't call it the School Funding moment because that was quite different. Tory released that idea well before the election and the Liberals just sat on it. When he finally released it as part of his platform, that is when the Liberals reacted. They did a careful balance using a "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" campaign that all Muslims are radicals and if we give them their own schools they will pump out hundreds of terrorists. I do not see any issue being similar to this (maybe the impossibility of SmartTrack) and I do not think any of the current candidates can be as skilful as the Liberals were back in 2007.

Ummm... You might want to check the Rob Ford thread. Doug seems to have lied, as per usual. Also, when you call a racist a racist, it's a statement, not an accusation, so no one else gets angry at you, but rather relieved someone had the balls to actually put the statement out there.

Finally, it was Goldkind that did the heavy lifting. Tory just agreed after Doug self-immolated.

I'm curious to see who the Toronto Star Editorial Board endorses for Mayor with Chow's support trending below 20% and falling. Their coverage changed from being anti-Ford to being rabidly pro-Chow to just being bitter.

I thought Ford's wife was Polish, not Jewish. In any case, Doug is the mayoral candidate, not Rob, and besides, the Ford's being racist is not outside the realm of believability, Andray Domise who is running against Rob openly states that the Fords are racist and we have multiple videos and headlines of Rob openly disparaging minorities and using racist slurs.
Indeed, if true his best response would have been my wife is jewish, my kids are jewish (Judaism tracks from the mother's side, iirc), and throw in some fib about attending temple and then say his brother's comments are his own, not mine.

Now similarly Tory has made racist accusations against Ford. With Fords wife being Jewish, this is equally outside the realm of believability. Will public anger now switch against Tory. This may be the moment that the fall of Tory begins.

I raised my eyebrows at this taking DoFo's claims at face value. Then, I saw the post was by BurlOak.

Ari Goldkind calls out Rob Ford's anti-Semitism at a Jewish community debate and then Doug gives the "my doctor, my dentist, my lawyer and my accountant are all Jewish" response.

http://www.cp24.com/news/2014-munic...ncing-the-jewish-people-in-his-life-1.2040585

So the Fords have made bigoted or stereotypical comments towards the city's two biggest "white ethnic" communities (Italians and Jews) as well as the city's three largest visible minority groups (South Asians, Chinese and Blacks). Amazing they have as many supporters as they do, frankly.
I don;t know why Goldkind was even at the debate.

I thought Ford's wife was Polish, not Jewish. In any case, Doug is the mayoral candidate, not Rob, and besides, the Ford's being racist is not outside the realm of believability, Andray Domise who is running against Rob openly states that the Fords are racist and we have multiple videos and headlines of Rob openly disparaging minorities and using racist slurs.

Polish is a nationality but Jewish is a religion

Polish is a nationality but Jewish is a religion

Jews are also an ethnic group.

There are in fact many ethnically Jewish people who don't consider their religion to be Judaism but retain a Jewish identity, sense of peoplehood etc.

As for Polish Jews they weren't "integrated" in Poland and their descendants today don't identify with "Polonia."

Last edited:
Keeping in mind that a lot of Poland was part of Germany/Prussia prior to 1945 and more so before 1919.

In light of the Sun's Chicken Doug front page, I suggest that this "tie" be settled as in the video below:

[video=youtube_share;W4WGQmWcrbs]http://youtu.be/W4WGQmWcrbs[/video]

I don't believe the poll, this is one of the reasons the Star has lost so much credibility, it's not journalism so much as "what can we do to rile up the city".

I don't believe the poll, this is one of the reasons the Star has lost so much credibility, it's not journalism so much as "what can we do to rile up the city".

With the first-past-the-post voting that we have, the person with the most votes wins, even though the vast majority would not want that person as Mayor. There is no runoff election or ranked ballots to correct that. The only way now is for voters to vote for the lesser of two evils, John Tory.

With the first-past-the-post voting that we have, the person with the most votes wins, even though the vast majority would not want that person as Mayor.
No.
Your "vast majority" doesn't care who becomes Mayor or they would have voted.

Back