News   Jul 11, 2024
 5K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 664     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 688     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Well, I'm glad you're supporting Tory this time around. And thanks for the info on signs.

Actually, the only "info on signs" andrewpmk gave was "Forest Hill has numerous Tory signs. Zero Olivia Chow signs, as you would expect in that area." Which is basically saying nothing at all.

Though this morning, I *did* venture into central Etobicoke DoFoLandia; and indeed, there's a fair number of Ford signs there--but not so much further afield...

Actually, the only "info on signs" andrewpmk gave was "Forest Hill has numerous Tory signs. Zero Olivia Chow signs, as you would expect in that area." Which is basically saying nothing at all.

Though this morning, I *did* venture into central Etobicoke DoFoLandia; and indeed, there's a fair number of Ford signs there--but not so much further afield...

The Yonge/Davisville area is covered in Tory signs, and Josh Matlow signs (the local incumbent city councillor, I don't agree with much of what he says but no serious candidates are running against him, so he is guaranteed to win). This is true even in the slightly less wealthy areas east of Yonge Street where there were a lot of Liberal signs during the provincial election (west of Yonge St in Forest Hill was full of PC signs). This might not be all that meaningful because the vast majority of people in this area live in apartments and have nowhere to put a sign, but I am pretty sure that Chow is unpopular in this area just like the Ontario NDP got hardly any votes in this area.

No, I have never supported Rob Ford, I supported Smitherman in 2010, but I am certainly not very happy about a lot of things that Miller did from 2006-2010. Smitherman wasn't exactly a wild supporter of Transit City in 2010, though he did not promise to cancel it. Pantalone "100% Transit City" did very poorly in that election, which is a clear indicator that that plan is unpopular.

The Yonge/Davisville area is covered in Tory signs, and Josh Matlow signs (the local incumbent city councillor, I don't agree with much of what he says but no serious candidates are running against him, so he is guaranteed to win). This is true even in the slightly less wealthy areas east of Yonge Street where there were a lot of Liberal signs during the provincial election (west of Yonge St in Forest Hill was full of PC signs). This might not be all that meaningful because the vast majority of people in this area live in apartments and have nowhere to put a sign, but I am pretty sure that Chow is unpopular in this area just like the Ontario NDP got hardly any votes in this area.

Well, the ONDP ran a "paper candidate" in St. Paul's, so they pretty much compounded their hardly-any-votesness this year--otherwise, "NDP leftness" tends to park in the Liberal column hereabouts. But even so, North Toronto at large has always tended to be heavy-duty "John Tory-type" country--then again, Chow's central campaign office is not all that far south (Yonge & Roselawn). But all the same, you're speaking of a small and unrepresentative geographic sample.

No, I have never supported Rob Ford, I supported Smitherman in 2010, but I am certainly not very happy about a lot of things that Miller did from 2006-2010. Smitherman wasn't exactly a wild supporter of Transit City in 2010, though he did not promise to cancel it. Pantalone "100% Transit City" did very poorly in that election, which is a clear indicator that that plan is unpopular.

People make voting decisions based on more than just transit plans, you know--of course, that point may be lost on those who spend the bulk of their time in transportation forums...

It's okay. If we keep talking about Transit City, he's going to start pushing for an elevated Crosstown east of Laird, along with the essential nature of people being able to get from Fairview to Scarborough Town Centre by subway.

Bookmark the Toronto Taxpayers Coalition's webpage on their "Toronto Election Taxpayers Voting Guide" at this link. The bad news for them is that it lists Rob Ford as a candidate for Mayor. However, in the most part, Rob and Doug follow the same platform, though they do have differences. That's why I say "bookmark", because they should have updated it by now but haven't.

Went to RoFo country this morning; of course, he has his own sign on his lawn (as well as that of Angelo Carnevale for Ward 4--what, no Chris Stockwell?), but it's interesting how the 60sburbia "lowlands" portion of Edenbridge has a lot of Ford signs, yet the tony Edgehill-type streets above James Gardens is defined more by John Tory signs.

Oh: and so far, no Andray Domise signs in Ward 2 (maybe holding out until later?)

With all due respect, why are you telling me this? I asked adma who he's voting for; so why are you quoting me and giving a breakdown of how people vote in this city? I don't see how that pertains to my question.

Salsa, I suspect this is part of why he was banned. What a dick.

Ari Goldkind calls out Rob Ford's anti-Semitism at a Jewish community debate and then Doug gives the "my doctor, my dentist, my lawyer and my accountant are all Jewish" response.

http://www.cp24.com/news/2014-munic...ncing-the-jewish-people-in-his-life-1.2040585

So the Fords have made bigoted or stereotypical comments towards the city's two biggest "white ethnic" communities (Italians and Jews) as well as the city's three largest visible minority groups (South Asians, Chinese and Blacks). Amazing they have as many supporters as they do, frankly.

vY3VhD5.png

Ari Goldkind calls out Rob Ford's anti-Semitism at a Jewish community debate and then Doug gives the "my doctor, my dentist, my lawyer and my accountant are all Jewish" response.

http://www.cp24.com/news/2014-munic...ncing-the-jewish-people-in-his-life-1.2040585

So the Fords have made bigoted or stereotypical comments towards the city's two biggest "white ethnic" communities (Italians and Jews) as well as the city's three largest visible minority groups (South Asians, Chinese and Blacks). Amazing they have as many supporters as they do, frankly.

It looks like this may be a Chow moment*.

Chow (or at least her team), made racist accusations against Tory. Since it was so outside the realm of believability that public anger quickly turned against Chow. This was a major event in the dropping of Chow from leader in the polls to 3rd place.

Now similarly Tory has made racist accusations against Ford. With Fords wife being Jewish, this is equally outside the realm of believability. Will public anger now switch against Tory. This may be the moment that the fall of Tory begins.

* - I won't call it the School Funding moment because that was quite different. Tory released that idea well before the election and the Liberals just sat on it. When he finally released it as part of his platform, that is when the Liberals reacted. They did a careful balance using a "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" campaign that all Muslims are radicals and if we give them their own schools they will pump out hundreds of terrorists. I do not see any issue being similar to this (maybe the impossibility of SmartTrack) and I do not think any of the current candidates can be as skilful as the Liberals were back in 2007.

I thought Ford's wife was Polish, not Jewish. In any case, Doug is the mayoral candidate, not Rob, and besides, the Ford's being racist is not outside the realm of believability, Andray Domise who is running against Rob openly states that the Fords are racist and we have multiple videos and headlines of Rob openly disparaging minorities and using racist slurs.

Back