News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.9K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 517     4 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 585     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Some of us have a conspiracy theory that Forum is showing Doug at 30 plus to scare us into voting Tory. Confirm or Deny.

I just can never bring myself that an established polling company would fudge their numbers to help a candidate. I see the total destruction online Ipsos got recently with their faulty polling, I can't see anybody want to bring that to themselves on purpose. It might be a faulty formula or focusing on the wrong thing (ie likely voters emphasis during the provincial election) Now the "write ups" they do, that can be BS. Because I have seen Rob Ford and the mayor of Brampton literally having the SAME numbers but Ford's write up by Forum was "Ford holding steady" while Brampton mayor was "Fennell in trouble!!" The numbers are accurate the analysis is fudged. As for the new/unknown polling companies, that's more iffy.

In hindsight, I don't think it was that farfetched to see Doug polling higher than Rob. Rob comes with much more baggage as far as the public is concerned. Doug is perceived as Rob without the drugs and scandals, and the Ford's sentiment is well supported in the burbs. I bet most of this rise comes from immigrant families from backgrounds that don't approve of Rob's personal life.

I don't know about that, I heard a few people who said they at least sympathies with Rob some. The guy a junkie, he couldn't help himself. But "sober Doug" was just as aggressive as "junkie Rob" claiming Rob's innocence. So Doug was doing that all with a "clear mind". So he was either lying (duh) to everybody to defend his brother at the expense of the city (and even his brother) or Doug was so f*ckn clueless that 70% of the city, hell people all over the world could tell Rob is messed up but his own brother couldn't figure out? Either of those scenarios show that Doug can be viewed even worse than Rob (who deserves to be viewed very lowly )

Any early indications on the election signs? You'd expect 50% or so would be Tory, given the polls. Does that hold up?

Forest Hill has numerous Tory signs. Zero Olivia Chow signs, as you would expect in that area.

I think that the Olivia Chow campaign is failing, sort of like the Ontario NDP. The far left's support is low and declining in this city, I think people have had enough of the bad ideas of Miller and the left on city council. People are fed up with the severe traffic congestion in this city and the left's bad ideas which seem to intentionally make it worse.

These are really great clips, HC. Maybe Jon Stewart could use 'em? It's hard to write this real-life stuff.

I'm not a fan of Jon Stewart, however, it would be great if he, or Jimmy Kimmel could use these clips on their shows. That would definitely bring Ari into the spotlight and make him a household name; bettering his chances of winning the campaign. Definitely a long shot, but he needs that kind of exposure. Most people aren't watching the debates, but a large percentage of the population watches late night talk shows.

Someone should tweet these videos to the both of them.

Any chance Olivia pulls out if Ford and Tory get closer in the polls ?

Forest Hill has numerous Tory signs. Zero Olivia Chow signs, as you would expect in that area.

I think that the Olivia Chow campaign is failing, sort of like the Ontario NDP. The far left's support is low and declining in this city, I think people have had enough of the bad ideas of Miller and the left on city council. People are fed up with the severe traffic congestion in this city and the left's bad ideas which seem to intentionally make it worse.

I agree Chow is not up to par and nor are the NDP. I however am lamenting the facts. The left has some great transport ideas. Walking, biking, taking a bus, car sharing, ride sharing, telecommuting. Just think if the lefties ever get thier way, more room for you to drive on.

Yeah, imagine spending $1bn less on a grade-separated Scarborough LRT with seven stops. Obviously a three-stop subway extension costing at least an extra billion is to be preferred.

Anyway, even though I'm not a fan of Horvath, it seems this was mostly a concern for the Toronto-based rabble.ca types, since the NDP won 4 more seats compared to 2011 and an extra 1% of the vote.

Today's debate was held in Runnymede United Church, located one short block south of Fire Station 424. That station was closed by the Ford brothers and his disciples. Bloor West is a rough neighbourhood for any Ford.

Fire_Station_424_featured_530wide.jpg

And you're deducing that from the lack of signs in Forest Hill? Actually, if I may offer balancing perspective from the west end, it looks far from the case that Chow is "failing"--she's certainly out-signing Joe Pants at this stage in 2010. Still doesn't mean she'll win; but it looks like she *may* be headed for a more competitive result than a lot of naysayers have been suggesting. In fact, if *anyone's* failing from the early-evidence signage front, it's (knock on wood) Doug Ford.

And honestly; by your "far left's support is low" and "people are fed up" rhetoric, you sound like the kind of crank who might as well be forecasting Joe Cressy to be as doomed municipally as he was federally...

And you're deducing that from the lack of signs in Forest Hill? Actually, if I may offer balancing perspective from the west end, it looks far from the case that Chow is "failing"--she's certainly out-signing Joe Pants at this stage in 2010. Still doesn't mean she'll win; but it looks like she *may* be headed for a more competitive result than a lot of naysayers have been suggesting. In fact, if *anyone's* failing from the early-evidence signage front, it's (knock on wood) Doug Ford.

And honestly; by your "far left's support is low" and "people are fed up" rhetoric, you sound like the kind of crank who might as well be forecasting Joe Cressy to be as doomed municipally as he was federally...

Who do you plan on voting for, if you don't mind my asking? You can PM me your answer if you'd like to share in private; if at all. I'm curious who you support.

Who do you plan on voting for, if you don't mind my asking? You can PM me your answer if you'd like to share in private; if at all. I'm curious who you support.

Tory.

My perception is that most people in this city support Tory. Doug Ford is supported by people with little education in poor neighbourhoods in Scarborough and Etobicoke but is extremely unpopular in the richer parts of the city. Chow is far left and really only popular in a handful of left wing neighbourhoods (mostly along the streetcar lines east and west of downtown), generally the same areas the NDP does well in, but the NDP is clearly becoming increasingly unpopular in Toronto. I don't think that someone like Chow will ever do well without pretending to not be left wing like Miller did - he basically won in 2003 and 2006 by disguising himself as a centrist, then went very far to the left after the 2006 election (my impression is that his light rail plan was extremely unpopular). Ford was largely elected as a backlash against Miller, just as Harris was elected in a backlash against Rae.

Tory.

My perception is that most people in this city support Tory. Doug Ford is supported by people with little education in poor neighbourhoods in Scarborough and Etobicoke but is extremely unpopular in the richer parts of the city. Chow is far left and really only popular in a handful of left wing neighbourhoods (mostly along the streetcar lines east and west of downtown), generally the same areas the NDP does well in, but the NDP is clearly becoming increasingly unpopular in Toronto. I don't think that someone like Chow will ever do well without pretending to not be left wing like Miller did - he basically won in 2003 and 2006 by disguising himself as a centrist, then went very far to the left after the 2006 election (my impression is that his light rail plan was extremely unpopular). Ford was largely elected as a backlash against Miller, just as Harris was elected in a backlash against Rae.

With all due respect, why are you telling me this? I asked adma who he's voting for; so why are you quoting me and giving a breakdown of how people vote in this city? I don't see how that pertains to my question.

Well, I'm glad you're supporting Tory this time around. And thanks for the info on signs. But i must completely disagree with you on Miller. He WAS a centrist - but centre-left seems to hurt the nasal passages of right-wingers. And, yes, Ford and Harris were elected by the right wing whipping up low info voters. Wow.

I am in the Trin-Spa, a pretty formerly strong NDP area. I don't normally pay attention to campaign sings but I did see in the last provincial election that normally is overrun by NDP signs in my area, actually had slightly more Liberal signs that it took my attention and the uptake in signs did show a realistic pattern as the Liberal candidate overtook the longstanding NDP of TrinSpa

So far it's pretty much Chow most of the signs in the area. I saw a few Tory. No Ford's (thank goodness, as I think a Ford sign will knock down the property value)

Back