News   Jul 22, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 624     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

A 6 stop LRT* not subway.

The TTC has run the numbers and they're positive. I won't bother looking up the articles, but please be my guest - Google is your friend.

nice deflection.
Obviously you don't have an answer.

nice deflection.
Obviously you don't have an answer.

... 3 seconds of Google.. My friend you are simply lazy (or incompetent).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...uld-be-a-train-to-the-future/article14583785/

A city report estimates the McCowan subway would have 36 million riders a year by 2031. An assessment by transportation planning staff says it would draw 14,000 riders an hour at peak times, compared to 8,000 estimated by the TTC for a light-rail line. That is at the low end for subway ridership, but proponents say it is best to have capacity for more riders in a city that is due to add hundreds of thousands of new residents in coming decades.

Byford had better comments- he has said that ridership is well within subway territory and it makes sense to do it HOWEVER it should be below the DRL in terms of priority (fair enough).

We've seen the debates on this forum already several times over to the point anyone could regurgitate them.... The Scarborough LRT and Subway (technologies) have only marginal differences in speeds. The difference in commute time comes from transfers and station waiting time. The 7 station LRT plan however provides rapid transit access to a great deal more Scarborough residences than the subway plan. This is why Scarberian Councillors like Soknacki and Ainsle support the LRT plan. And there wouldn't be a property tax hike with the LRT plan.

... 3 seconds of Google.. My friend you are simply lazy (or incompetent).

Are you too lazy or incompetent to answer my question about how replacing 6 stops with 3 is an advantage?

How is it an advantage to have 6 stops that attract less people, than 3 stops that attract more?

Wouldn't more stops, closer to the riders, attract more people than 3 stops, that riders have to take busses to, be an advantage?
I don't know, that's why I asked, but apparently I'm just a jackass for asking, yet no one else seems to have an answer....just more questions.

And yet, it would attract fewer riders than the subway plan.

According to Steve Munro:
A new demand estimate was run only for the subway option (and not the LRT), and the model assigned a lot of 905 commuters to the new Scarborough Subway for trips to downtown. Of course they should be on the Stouffville GO service, but demand models have been used before to inflate demand for new subways either with unreasonably rosy land use forecasts or by selective omission of competing services.[/QUOTE]

And even if the subway will get 5 million more riders, that's a poor rate of return for the extra billion dollars that it costs. That money is better spend elsewhere.

Not when we are looking at the extremely low number of walk in passengers in both versions. The vast majority of Toronto subway riders are bussed in, especially in suburban areas.

sorry if this has been asked already, but what are the going assumptions on how much a top drawer fully loaded Mayoral campaign is going to cost? Must be several hundred thousand dollars.

Seeing as Rob Ford is incredibly stingy, he can't be relishing the thought of pouring a ton of his own money into what is almost guaranteed to be a losing campaign.

He sure isn't going to be looking at any big donations from Bay Street this time around. And there is no way he'll make it up with donations from the sub-literate die-hard mouth-breathers who make up his "base"

Back