News   Jul 22, 2024
 564     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 624     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

... 3 seconds of Google.. My friend you are simply lazy (or incompetent).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...uld-be-a-train-to-the-future/article14583785/

A city report estimates the McCowan subway would have 36 million riders a year by 2031. An assessment by transportation planning staff says it would draw 14,000 riders an hour at peak times, compared to 8,000 estimated by the TTC for a light-rail line. That is at the low end for subway ridership, but proponents say it is best to have capacity for more riders in a city that is due to add hundreds of thousands of new residents in coming decades.

Byford had better comments- he has said that ridership is well within subway territory and it makes sense to do it HOWEVER it should be below the DRL in terms of priority (fair enough).

The same city report that said Sheppard subway was going to have how much ridership? Or that the North York City Centre employment was going to be how much employment?

Of course not. There's also no distinction between LRT and streetcar. Am I right?

Depends. Are you referring to mode of implementation or vehicle types?

If you're talking vehicle types, "subways" (HRT), light rail and streetcars (aka light rail) are effectively identical.

If you're talking modes of implementation then they're obviously very different.

When discussing potential modes of implementation with Heavy Rail Rapid Transit and Light Rail Rapid Transit on the Scarborough Rapid Transit corridor, the distinction isn't particularly critical unless we're examining the transfer situation at Kennedy Station.

According to Steve Munro:
A new demand estimate was run only for the subway option (and not the LRT), and the model assigned a lot of 905 commuters to the new Scarborough Subway for trips to downtown. Of course they should be on the Stouffville GO service, but demand models have been used before to inflate demand for new subways either with unreasonably rosy land use forecasts or by selective omission of competing services.

And even if the subway will get 5 million more riders, that's a poor rate of return for the extra billion dollars that it costs. That money is better spend elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is completely unfair. Commuters from the 905 were probably less likely to use LRT Rapid Transit because of the transfer situation at Kennedy. But this does sound like the same kind of trickery we've seen used to justify other underused HRT projects.

sorry if this has been asked already, but what are the going assumptions on how much a top drawer fully loaded Mayoral campaign is going to cost? Must be several hundred thousand dollars.

What I can tell you is that Rob Ford spent $1.3 Million on his campaign. Most winning candidates probably need to spend somewhere close to that if they want to win that.

There's no way that Ford raises that money with zero corporate sponsors. Assuming that he manages to convince 10% of Torontoninans. (250,000) to donate to his campaign, he'd need about $5 from each donor. That's a highly improbably scenario. Ford "only" had about 2,700 campaign donors (about 1% of Toronto) in 2010.

Last edited:
The same city report that said Sheppard subway was going to have how much ridership? Or that the North York City Centre employment was going to be how much employment?

Not the "same report", but probably the same number fudging.

Depends. Are you referring to mode of implementation or vehicle types?

If you're talking vehicle types, "subways" (HRT), light rail and streetcars (aka light rail) are effectively identical.

If you're talking modes of implementation then they're obviously very different.

When discussing potential modes of implementation with Heavy Rail Rapid Transit and Light Rail Rapid Transit on the Scarborough Rapid Transit corridor, the distinction isn't particularly critical unless we're examining the transfer situation at Kennedy Station.

I see, perhaps I didn't understand it correctly.

What I can tell you is that Rob Ford spent $1.3 Million on his campaign. Most winning candidates probably need to spend somewhere close to that if they want to win that.

There's no way that Ford raises that money with zero corporate sponsors. Assuming that he manages to convince 10% of Torontoninans. (250,000) to donate to his campaign, he'd need about $5 from each donor. That's a highly improbably scenario. Ford "only" had about 2,700 campaign donors (about 1% of Toronto) in 2010.

thank you for the info! i guess Rob will be doing it on the cheap this time.

Those were the days when Metro thought the city centres in the boroughs would experience rapid employment growth. It was also a time when downtown politicians preferred limited development in the core and flatly rejected a DRL.

Back