News   Jul 08, 2024
 382     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 629     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

She famously took some sort of public speaking course (on the taxpayer dime, IIRC) shortly after getting elected. I think this is the result.

I liked her well enough until the Scarborough flip flop. Even in Crazy Town there's a bit about how she knew, after the first meeting with Rob and Doug, their transit plan was insane. But she carried their water until she pulled the cord, and then enabled them with the Scarborough reversal. It's unforgiveable as far as I'm concerned, not just because of the specific incident but because it showed a real lack of principles. I feel the same about Glen De Baeremaker.

I also think there is pandering there, her "ordinary mom" stuff and her talk tonight about "kitchen table finances," or whatever it was. It's all plenty enough to convince me she's not worthy of being mayor though, in a pinch, I'd certainly take her over Ford. She pales in comparison to the others.

Yes, she saved the Eglinton transit line from being scraped completely by Ford, and I'm grateful for that.
She's fine as a councillor, but yeah the Scarborough transit stuff was when I started to dislike her.

OK I'll say this right now: I haven't decided who to vote for yet but probably Tory or Chow, however, I would vote for ANYBODY including Stintz and the Ikea Monkey in order to keep Ford out of office. If he looks like he could win, I will automatically vote for whoever is polling highest other than him.

The problem is any further debates we watch will be a rehash of the same talking points from each candidate:

Ford
-saved taxpayers a billion dollars
-I built subways everywhere, I did everything I was going to do
-maybe you're perfect, I'm not
-privatized garbage on west, will on east
-cut vehicle registration tax
-hates LRT

Tory
-Livable, Affordable, Functional
-not left, not right, forward
-low property taxes
-Same fiscal policy as Ford but without the crack smoking and criminality
-Unlike Ford can actually get stuff done by working with council & other governments

Olivia
-Loves the city and grew up as an immigrant
-Mom who can't get on the bus because it's too crowded
-make children and families the heart of our city
-Scarborough above ground transit could be built 4 years sooner, 4 more stops, 1 billion dollars less than the subway
-Ford is an embarrassment to the city and is no role model to her grandkids
-Bring down the circus tent at city hall
-Ford's billion dollar savings is bullshit

Stintz
-Kitchen table common sense
-I'm a mom just like you
-Fake smiles

Soknacki
-Scarborough subway is the biggest tax increase in the history of the city

Last edited:
May have been better if it was a one-on-one debate. They were all arguing and speaking over each other.

Ford kept repeating his lies, but the others were not able to rebuttal because Rob just kept repeating them. Unfortunately, not everyone will check the points being made by all to verify. Some will just believe it without checking.

I think she's been coached badly for the debates. In council or even in press conferences, she talks and moves like a real person. But she seemed to be trying out gestures and other mannerisms during the debate that did not seem to flow naturally from what she was thinking and saying. When message, voice and body are not congruent, you probably aren't going to trust that person.

I am glad you brought this up. My fondest opinions of Stintz come from the council chamber where she comes off as really not all that bad of a councilor.

And Olivia was just brutally bad. She apparently checked-out of her MP job months ago, but has not really checked-in to this campaign yet. The whole lot, with the exception of Tory and maybe Soknacki in certain moments, came across as a bunch of amateurs. Embarrassing (and depressing) that this is the best the city apparently has to offer.

This has been how I've felt with her ever since she announced her candidacy. Every single time she has spoken she has seemed unengaged and boring. Her actual words and rhetoric have been largely the politicking of a seasoned politician rather than that of a genuine character. Her stances on social issues though I know she cares plenty, felt to me and probably to the average voter as disingenuous and 'playing the game' when she spoke today. For instance when she brought up the stroller-mom waiting for the bus.

Seeing Olivia Chow from this angle in the debate today, I wouldn't be surprised if many Torontonians are buying into Tory, Stintz and Ford's rhetoric of Chow being the 'NDP' candidate and the general fear-mongering that it implies.

If she doesn't change this, then as someone said earlier, she could really end up becoming a paper tiger.

Why is the left pushing so hard for Olivia Chow to be mayor? She doesn't have an original thought in her mind. If it weren't for her marriage to Jack Layton, nobody would take her seriously. She's probably even more useless than Ford.

I agree so far I am only sure of who I will NOT vote for.
The last election I voted but was disgusted enough to suggest a "none of the above" option to the election committee. Ford keeps hawking this billion dollar savings he has done for the city does anyone remember 6 mos into the job he claimed we were near bankruptcy and that Miller had cooked the books so badly we had serious problems? Does anyone remember what happened last week for Christ's sake! I am dreading the next 7 months, these liars on the hustings and we just helpless (AND TOO FUCKING POLITE!) onlookers.

http://vimeo.com/90147537
Straight to the point video about Tory.

John Tory: a.k.a. Dithers
from McGGillicutty 1 hour ago All Audiences

CITY-TV asks John Tory about his biggest problem
March 25, 2014

What Tory doesn’t mention:

1. How he was a lobbyist for Rogers
2. How he is a serial loser
3. How he’s an out-of-touch, silver-spoon multimillionaire

John Tory: they don't call him Mr. Dithers for nothing.
[video=vimeo;90147537]http://vimeo.com/90147537[/video]

You really need to listen to some of his podcasts from his time as radio announcer. There is no way he comes of as a silver-spoon multimillionaire.

I think if these candidates were on The Agenda on TVO with Steve Paikin, who knows how to moderate things would turn out differently

Good grief

Karen Stintz ‏@KarenStintz 7h
Enjoyed debating the other candidates, but it's clear I'm only 1 w a plan to pay for promises while protecting taxpayers

The problem is any further debates we watch will be a rehash of the same talking points from each candidate:

Ford
-saved taxpayers a billion dollars
-I built subways everywhere, I did everything I was going to do
-maybe you're perfect, I'm not
-privatized garbage on west, will on east
-cut vehicle registration tax
-hates LRT

Tory
-Livable, Affordable, Functional
-not left, not right, forward
-low property taxes
-Same fiscal policy as Ford but without the crack smoking and criminality
-Unlike Ford can actually get stuff done by working with council & other governments

Olivia
-Loves the city and grew up as an immigrant
-Mom who can't get on the bus because it's too crowded
-make children and families the heart of our city
-Ford is an embarrassment to the city and is no role model to her grandkids
-Bring down the circus tent at city hall
-Ford's billion dollar savings is bullshit

Stintz
-Kitchen table common sense
-I'm a mom just like you
-Fake smiles

Soknacki
-Scarborough subway is the biggest tax increase in the history of the city

Excellent summary. I'd also add Chow's 'above ground rail service will be four years faster, four more stops and a billion dollars less'

Back