News   Jul 08, 2024
 387     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 631     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Good news. The debate tomorrow between Stintz, Soknacki, Tory and Ford at Ryerson University will be recorded and uploaded to this page.

It'll be at 6pm tomorrow at the engineering building.

Do you think the same for Tory re. pressured to run instead of wanting to?

I believe when he chose to ran this was actually what he said; that he felt inclined to run due to the state of the city. That is probably true to some degree but I suspect he also wants to do this.

Soknacki said a similar thing when he announced he was running way back in October/November of last year.

Why does everyone hate Stinz so much? Is it merely the flip flopping or something else? People complain about her voice, but her voice is better than Soknacki's. I like Soks too, but he is hard to listen to/watch.

That was one of the worst debate formats I've ever seen. And what was with interrupting the debate to tell us who people were texting in as their favourite candidates? This isn't American Idol. Awful job on CityTV's part.

I don't hate Stintz, but I don't think she demonstrates good leadership. She flip-flops, she isn't assertive, she stands back and smiles, she uses stupid phrases like kitchen table and "as a mom", she doesn't sound all that confident. She just seemed overwhelmed by the whole process and out of her league.

Why does everyone hate Stinz so much? Is it merely the flip flopping or something else? People complain about her voice, but her voice is better than Soknacki's. I like Soks too, but he is hard to listen to/watch.

For me personally, it is her pandering. Going off the debate alone I get the impression she is more enthusiastic about being a soccer mom with a car and a mortgage on her house than she does about the responsibilities of being the mayor of the 4th largest city in North America. Plus her plan for Toronto Hydro is idiotic.

Unfortunately, debates and especially debates of formats like these make persons like Ford do well and others like Stintz, Chow and Soknacki appear weak.

Horrible debate format. If every debate is going to be yelling and screaming over top of each other. Ford will win every single one. Stintz and Chow don't stand chance at these type of debates.

Some people don't care about this, but in my opinion body language and voice cadence does matter to voters in general, and helps shape opinions about candidate's personalities.

Stintz's way of speaking I found much more unlikable than Soknacki, however it's also her body language and facial expressions. Her smile comes of as very insincere for example.

Do you think the same for Tory re. pressured to run instead of wanting to?

I believe when he chose to ran this was actually what he said; that he felt inclined to run due to the state of the city. That is probably true to some degree but I suspect he also wants to do this.

Soknacki said a similar thing when he announced he was running way back in October/November of last year.

Yea, I do too for Tory. They probaboly wern't up for the personal disruption, but the city is in chaos and they had supporters pushing them.

Some people don't care about this, but in my opinion body language and voice cadence does matter to voters in general, and helps shape opinions about candidate's personalities.

Stintz's way of speaking I found much more unlikable than Soknacki, however it's also her body language and facial expressions. Her smile comes of as very insincere for example.

She famously took some sort of public speaking course (on the taxpayer dime, IIRC) shortly after getting elected. I think this is the result.

I liked her well enough until the Scarborough flip flop. Even in Crazy Town there's a bit about how she knew, after the first meeting with Rob and Doug, their transit plan was insane. But she carried their water until she pulled the cord, and then enabled them with the Scarborough reversal. It's unforgiveable as far as I'm concerned, not just because of the specific incident but because it showed a real lack of principles. I feel the same about Glen De Baeremaker.

I also think there is pandering there, her "ordinary mom" stuff and her talk tonight about "kitchen table finances," or whatever it was. It's all plenty enough to convince me she's not worthy of being mayor though, in a pinch, I'd certainly take her over Ford. She pales in comparison to the others.

I think she's been coached badly for the debates. In council or even in press conferences, she talks and moves like a real person. But she seemed to be trying out gestures and other mannerisms during the debate that did not seem to flow naturally from what she was thinking and saying. When message, voice and body are not congruent, you probably aren't going to trust that person.

And before the debate: I hated her flip-flopping on transit. Once she became a candidate, I thought her press releases, web site and Twitter presence just seemed badly focus-grouped. And when she does talk policy, she presents half-assed ideas as if they're workable, like her Hydro sell/lease plan that would come nowhere close to covering the cost of the DRL.

As others have mentioned, she is the one who comes across as the most "posed" and "over-rehearsed". She uses catchphrases designed to gain resonance but that just fall flat ("kitchen table common sense", "moms", "kids", etc). From the moment she showed up to sign her candidacy papers with her kids in tow and a big fake smile on her face, it was obvious that she is as phoney as they come.

And Olivia was just brutally bad. She apparently checked-out of her MP job months ago, but has not really checked-in to this campaign yet. The whole lot, with the exception of Tory and maybe Soknacki in certain moments, came across as a bunch of amateurs. Embarrassing (and depressing) that this is the best the city apparently has to offer.

Shameful. Yet, I'm sure City TV will be patting themselves on the back and congratulating themselves for a job well-done. I'm sure their "newscast" tonight will be one big masturbatory circle jerk. Only bright spot of the entire debacle (hardly a "debate") was Cynthia Mulligan finally asking the question we all wanted to hear. Too little, too late.

She famously took some sort of public speaking course (on the taxpayer dime, IIRC) shortly after getting elected. I think this is the result.

I liked her well enough until the Scarborough flip flop. Even in Crazy Town there's a bit about how she knew, after the first meeting with Rob and Doug, their transit plan was insane. But she carried their water until she pulled the cord, and then enabled them with the Scarborough reversal. It's unforgiveable as far as I'm concerned, not just because of the specific incident but because it showed a real lack of principles. I feel the same about Glen De Baeremaker.

I also think there is pandering there, her "ordinary mom" stuff and her talk tonight about "kitchen table finances," or whatever it was. It's all plenty enough to convince me she's not worthy of being mayor though, in a pinch, I'd certainly take her over Ford. She pales in comparison to the others.

Funny that I feel the exact opposite way, and was really happy with the councillors who voted to support the Bloor-Danforth extension.

The only thing about Stintz I don't like is the selling of Toronto Hydro. Other than that, I don't see any negatives about her.

Back