News   Jul 05, 2024
 39     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 842     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see if the city approves this new height. If there was a place to put a signature tower it would be here. (as per our "midtown" thread from some months back.). They should probably let them build as high as they want here..perhaps up to 90 or 100 but ask for certain amenities at ground level and/or contributions to non-market housing.

A nice big Khazak khram for our main downtown intersection, at last.

Is the name of the building going to be Architectural Learings of Kazakhstan for Make Benefit Glorious City of Toronto Tower?

Learing = Learning. From n. lear (var. lere): learning, lesson, lore. Also, adj.: empty, or flesh/skin.

Both definitions apply

The mention of the outdated rendering 'on the internet' may be referencing the 60-floor 1 Bloor East rendering of Kolter vintage. We may have scooped the new one already.

I want a better podium. I is happy with the tower.

pleasantly surprised 42

Global just had a piece about this tower - no true rendering was shown (they just a basic box structure to define the massing) but they took a bit of an alarmist NIMBY viewpoint on the whole.

Recap:

- Tall tower coming for here. At 80 stories it's twice that of anything nearby***
- Interview store owner who will have to relocate
- Interview Dentist in a building across the street who will lose their view
- Interview Kyle Rae who points out the intersection deserves better
- Guy on the street interview saying the current building is an eye sore
- Remark that the site is approved for a 60 story tower. The reporter tried getting in touch with the developer of that project but was unable to get a comment.
- Two women on the street interviews expressing concern over the height - 'Too Tall'
- Another comment from the store owner

*** (huh... what... commercial and residential towers have different floor to ceiling heights? Thus this is indirectly and incorrectly saying the tower will be twice as tall as its neighbours... If we compare it to direct neighbours it does double the floor count, but not when we look at towers in the immediate area. In realty towers nearby include: 44 Charles Street West - 545 ft. 51 floors, Two Bloor West - 488 ft. 34 floors, Two Bloor East - 439 ft. 34 floors, Marriott Hotel/Plaza 2 Apartments - 415 ft. 41 floors, plus for good measure let's throw in the Four Seasons Hotel - Approx 686 ft. 50 floors.)

Interesting nobody has mentioned Toronto's most famous Kazakh...

2001_prism-blue_antropov.jpg

I'm anxiously waiting for the new design to come out so that I can model it on Sketchup and add it to my Yorkville model collection. I'll also check this thread on Sunday... to check out what April Fool's hoaxes you guys can conjure up about this project!

Well, I'm going with the April Fool's hoax on this one, regardless of the month.

This is from Wednesday's Star - Looks promising.

Condo would be country's tallest

Councillor lauds 80-storey proposal for Yonge, Bloor
Mar 28, 2007 04:30 AM
Christian Cotroneo
staff reporter
If a proposed condo development at the corner of Yonge and Bloor becomes a reality, it would not only be the country's tallest residential tower but also a bold new symbol of urban living.

Stacked to the sky.

That's precisely why city Councillor Kyle Rae lauds the proposal from a Kazakhstan-based developer to build a tower nearly 80 storeys tall at 1 Bloor St. E. at the intersection's southeast corner.

"It's the intersection of two subway lines," he says. "It's where there's already intensification."

Having so many people living atop a bustling public transit junction speaks of civic efficiency, even if the Toronto Transit Commission has yet to deal with the massive swell of fresh commuters.

And Rae expects little political resistance.

The City of Toronto had already approved a 60-storey building at the site, to be built by Nastapoka Holdings, four years ago.

Earlier this year, the property was sold to Bazis International, which will hold a news conference at the Manulife Centre next Thursday to unveil its plans.

In the meantime, Rae doesn't expect the jump from 60 to 80 floors to be dramatic.

"The previous approval had a lot of retail and a movie theatre ... and they take up a lot of height," he says.

Leaving the theatre out of the plans buys the developer about four extra floors for residential and hotel use.

Rae claims the originally approved height of 205 metres will not change.

But he, like many, is awaiting further information.

"I don't have a lot of detail yet," says consultant Vickie Griffiths of Vicbar Marketing, which counts Bazis as a client but has been referring media to the company itself. "I'm still waiting to get info from them."

The developer has yet to release renderings of the proposed building, and did not return calls to its local office yesterday. The address is, however, listed on UrbanDB.com, a website that registers city developments. It lists Toronto's Roy Varacalli as the architect.

According to the website, 1 Bloor E. will comprise 79 floors, above and below ground.

The site is near a 34-storey condominium building Bazis is already developing at Balmuto St. If the tower does get built at Yonge and Bloor, the building may earn another distinction – by blotting out a few other towering eyesores, according to Rae.

"I sorely would like to hide the Royal Bank building on the northeast corner," he says. "It's brutal. Hiding that building at the northeast corner by this one on the southeast corner would, I think, be a gracious thing to do.

"I'm in favour of masking the unfortunate."

Link: www.thestar.com/News/article/196745

Rae claims the originally approved height of 205 metres will not change.

That means 8 foot ceiling heights and with retail in the podium which usually requires higher ceilings I don’t see how the height can remain 205 m. Unless they’re building condo units for midgets.

Agreed Billy, I don't know how Rae can expect a building to be erected with 80 floors at only 205 meters. This would have 30 more floors and only be 10 metres taller then 4 Seasons? Realistically I would expect this to be closer to the 240-250 metre range.

Probably Rae spoke off the cuff and was trying to alleviate fears that this tower will be some huge monstrosity looming over the area.

Let's wait for the official announcement on this issue.

As I had posted earlier, the image which was briefly online showed a 68-floor building (including 4 double-height podium floors) that was just under 200m to the top of the inhabited portion -- going by a comparison with the 75m building behind it. Adding the pictured roof element would add maybe 15m, for a total of 205m, just as Rae said.

Adding 10 more floors would add 27m at 2.7m per (residential) floor, for a total of 232m. Aside from the Trump project, this would indeed be the tallest residential tower in Toronto. The next-tallest would be Signature at 217m, followed by Shagri-La at 214m and the Ritz at 213m. The only other currently-known competition would be the resubmitted Aura (75 floors?), which would also be in its height range, if it were to be built.

I have to say, though, that this tower would be on the low end of height per floor. There are a lot of roughly 80-floor residential towers going up in Dubai, and they all seem to be over 300m in height. (stops to check...)

107F, 414m (Princess Tower)
101F, 412m (Marina 101)
91F, 380m (Elite Residences)
89F, 395m (23 Marina)
84F, 345m (The Torch)
82F, 310m (Ocean Heights)
80F, 350m (D1)
75F, 285m (Sulafa Tower)
74F, 360m (Almas Tower)
67F, 260m (Marina Pinnacle)
66F, 275m (Mag 218 Tower)
64F, 296m (Emirates Crown)
59F, 254m (Emirates Marina)

In comparison, the 1BE project, at 79F, ~232m, would be more than a little runty.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back