News   Jul 04, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 807     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 631     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bring on this beauty!

Hopefully, this is the first of a number of megasized buildings on that intersection.

Put a lot of hi-rises in that area, and maybe they will have to figure out how to bypass the interchange (a.k.a DRL):rollin

Re: website

Re: 1be
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just checked the Bazis website... is it just me, or have the 1BE renderings been removed?

I just checked the site too and the rederings have been moved. Weird.

maybe they are waiting for april 5th, for the official roll-out..

..meaning we may have scooped them! 8)

I suspect that the rendering was removed because it did not represent the newest version of the project. I counted 68 floors on that rendering, far short of 'almost 80'. (4 of those floors being double-height podium floors)

In addition, the two buildings are out of scale with each other. Extending the roofline of the building on the left (75m tall) to the rendered new building, and extrapolating the remaining height, ends up producing a total height of well less than 200m -- which I very much doubt is the case.

There will probably be a more accurate rendering at the official unveiling.

Bill

On the issue of height I wonder how much opposition to it there will be and coming from whom? How much height will the city try to chop off to show that they are working hard for the people?

I enjoy the ads. A lot. They add to the excitement and thrill of a big city, such as Toronto, and to the Bloor area. They're fun and look great - especially on this building! Anything else on that podium would be dull and mediocre. The use of glass is also impressive! I love the quality as well. It looks like high, quality European glass. I'm always glad to see this in Toronto. Could it be white aluminum glass? I guess we won't know for awhile. Anyone planning to go to the press conference?

Article in today's National Post.
"80-storey condo proposed for Yonge-Bloor
With shopping mall: Kazakhstan developer needs city approval
Peter Kuitenbrouwer, National Post
Published: Tuesday, March 27, 2007
A developer from Kazakhstan will announce plans next week for a "nearly" 80-storey condominium on the corner of Yonge and Bloor streets, which, if built, would be the tallest residential tower in Canada.

Bazis International, based in Almaty, Kazakhstan, plans the tower, with a shopping mall at its base, for a one-acre site on the southeast corner of Yonge and Bloor, Vicki Griffiths, a spokeswoman for the company, said yesterday.

Kolter Property Co. sold 1 Bloor Street East to Bazis International at the beginning of the year. Four years ago a company called Nastapoka Holdings, a joint venture involving Kolter, had won city approval for a 60- storey tower on the site, but did not go ahead with the project.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font: ****Bazis won approval last summer for a 34-storey condominium building on the east side of Balmuto street just south of Bloor; Ms. Griffith said construction on that tower begins this spring. Canadian architects Page + Steele and Zeidler Partnership Architects are working with Bazis on its projects overseas.

The 80-storey tower, designed by Toronto architect Roy Varacalli, has yet to win city approval.

"There has been a lot of encouragement from the city," Ms. Griffiths said yesterday.

Bazis plans a news conference next Thursday on the top of Manulife Centre to announce details of the plan. Local councillor Kyle Rae will attend, the company said.

The company had no drawings to release yesterday and said an older picture, available on the Internet, is not an accurate drawing of the project.

As for Toronto's apparently insatiable appetite for condominium towers, Ms. Griffiths said, "It just blows my mind.

"There's a tremendous amount of people immigrating into the country and they are conditioned to live in buildings, in very crowded cities," she said. "And we [Canada] are offering good value on a global basis. There are also empty nesters, who say, 'I've raised my children, I want to buy a condo and enjoy life.'"

On its Web site, Bazis says that, "the company has grown from a modest Kazakhstan-based company into an industry leader in the design and construction of residential communities, office towers, government buildings, hotels, apartment buildings, theatres, shopping malls and industrial complexes."

Among its projects is a three tower complex in Almaty, including a 54-storey building that will become the highest building in Kazakhstan, an oil-rich former Soviet republic that gained notoriety in last year's hit film, "Borat."

"

Thanks for posting that.

Can't wait to see the updated rendering of the project.

Louroz

The company had no drawings to release yesterday and said an older picture, available on the Internet, is not an accurate drawing of the project.

They further added that the secretary responsible for the inadvertant release, Miss Lyudmilla Chavanovska, was apprehended as she tried to cross the border with Kubelistan strapped to the bottom of a transport truck hauling fake Gucci watches, and is in custody of the authorities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back