News   May 17, 2024
 741     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 490     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 5.1K     7 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

edit: Also I'd like Soknacki to clarify his stance on the DRL. I am fine with him pursuing the Scarborough LRT even if I think it is a waste of effort at this point, as it would be the fiscally conservative thing to do, sets him apart from the other candidates and is a popular stance throughout Toronto. However I want to see him also endorsing the prioritization of the DRL like Tory has.

I think he's made the DRL (he calls it the commuter relief line) a high priority: https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/439196224240254977 and http://torontoist.com/2014/03/mayoral-candidates-rally-around-the-downtown-relief-line/ but it's not explicitly addressed in his policy statements yet. Worth pushing him on, I think.

1. Chow: Decent record, fingers crossed for a solid platform.
2. Soknacki: Who knew I would like a "fiscal conservative" so much?
37. Tory: My ALL HOPE IS LOST, GRAB WHAT YOU CAN choice. If October rolls around and Chow has tanked, Soknacki hasn't caught up, and Ford looks likely to win again, then I would grudgingly vote for Tory.
981. Stintz: I would cut off my right hand before I voted for Stintz. If truly necessary, I would then vote for her with the bloody stump. She flip flopped on transit and is providing vacuous nonsense and no numbers in her current platform. Somewhere in the afterworld, Vincent Van Gogh is giving her the evil eye for what she has already done to the reputation of sunflowers.
∞ Ford: Time for the late night comics to get new material.

That's pretty much how I feel and nicely said! Richard Underhill comes in somewhere between Soknacki and Tory. I'm a little concerned about his previous record of being anti LRTs and streetcars in favour of buses, though.

Last edited:
The DRL could very well be funded by the province by the end of next month so it may well be moot. A push for the transit city bus plan and improved crowding standards is a bigger issue for me, and I get the feeling that Chow will be the only one wanting it as it costs big bucks in operating costs which goes against the "fiscal conservative" message Soknacki and Tory are trying to follow. They will play up the magic bullet capital projects as the fix, while in reality the fix for the TTC is more in the smaller operating features of the TTC that everyone ignores.

The DRL could very well be funded by the province by the end of next month so it may well be moot. A push for the transit city bus plan and improved crowding standards is a bigger issue for me, and I get the feeling that Chow will be the only one wanting it as it costs big bucks in operating costs which goes against the "fiscal conservative" message Soknacki and Tory are trying to follow. They will play up the magic bullet capital projects as the fix, while in reality the fix for the TTC is more in the smaller operating features of the TTC that everyone ignores.

Wow, where do you get that the DRL may be funded next month?

Anyone care to speculate on who will run in Chow's place in Trinity-Spadina?

I've heard Joe Cressy from the Stephen Lewis Foundation and Jennifer Hollett who lost the nomination to Linda McQuaig in Toronto-Centre are considered potential candidates.

The platform has not been released. Reasonable criticism is perfectly fine. Reviewing a film before even walking into the theatre is rather questionable, to put it mildly.
The same can be said for people that are currently supporting Chow without seeing her platform first, no?

You're right. My brother who I had the heart churning realization was and is a Rob Ford supporter just told me he's voting for Chow. I will never understand how he thinks either one is anywhere near an approximate choice. Like you said, they appeal to populists and Chow has the winning formula to pick them up from Ford. If she can successfully win over Ford Nation and simultaneously take the left and progressives, Olivia Chow will be Mayor. There's no route to victory for Tory unless Rob Ford remains strong enough to hold on to Ford Nation.
I've said this before and I'll said it again, but looking at the NDP's victories (or increased share) in the outer 416 in the last federal election is key to understanding this. Bluntly, many who voted for Ford also voted for the NDP six months later. In some cases they may not even understand the political spetrcum, they are just looking for who they think is "on their side." This is why you can't write Chow off in the suburbs, despite "downtown baggage."

Ann Hui ‏@annhui
Stintz spox (spokesperson) on CP24 right now taking shots at Chow. Brings up fact she used to live in subsidized housing.

Really? Do we have to go through that nonsense again? Not that I was planning on voting for Stintz but if I were I would have just changed my mind.

Back