News   Jul 16, 2024
 402     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 514     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Ann Hui ‏@annhui
Stintz spox (spokesperson) on CP24 right now taking shots at Chow. Brings up fact she used to live in subsidized housing.

Really? Do we have to go through that nonsense again? Not that I was planning on voting for Stintz but if I were I would have just changed my mind.
Chow's team had to know this would come up; I'm sure they're prepared.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui
Stintz spox (spokesperson) on CP24 right now taking shots at Chow. Brings up fact she used to live in subsidized housing.

Really? Do we have to go through that nonsense again? Not that I was planning on voting for Stintz but if I were I would have just changed my mind.

Ugh, Stintz is just the worst. Who does she have running her campaign? Between this and that vacuous nonsense crap she was spouting last week, she really needs to sit down with her campaign manager and have a talk.

I've said this before and I'll said it again, but looking at the NDP's victories (or increased share) in the outer 416 in the last federal election is key to understanding this. Bluntly, many who voted for Ford also voted for the NDP six months later. In some cases they may not even understand the political spetrcum, they are just looking for who they think is "on their side." This is why you can't write Chow off in the suburbs, despite "downtown baggage."

Exactly! Plus, the relationship between the suburbs and downtown have changed pretty dramatically since the 1980s and 1990s when people like Chow and Layton were getting elected to council. The Trinity-Spadina of 1990 in someways looks more like the Scarborough of 2014 than the Trinity-Spadina of 2014.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui

I can't help but see this criticism in the context of Stintz' earlier comment about being "just like you" because she owns a home, drives a car, and takes her kid to soccer practice. Stintz is really going after the privileged white person vote (aka the "traditional" suburban vote).

Ugh, Stintz is just the worst. Who does she have running her campaign? Between this and that vacuous nonsense crap she was spouting last week, she really needs to sit down with her campaign manager and have a talk.

Co-ops are subsidized and provide a certain number of subsidized units. They often have units that are charged at market value. It's mixed housing, not [globally] subsidized housing.

My contempt for Stintz continues to grow like a mutant sunflower.

Co-ops are subsidized and provide a certain number of subsidized units. They often have units that are charged at market value. It's mixed housing, not [globally] subsidized housing.

My contempt for Stintz continues to grow like a mutant sunflower.

Remember Stintz's "I'm just like you tweet?"

I am like you. I have a mortgage, kids, one car, and soccer games. Lets make it better.

Co-op residents don't have mortgages.

From Don Peat's article today: A spokesman for the Karen Stintz campaign said they won't be commenting until Chow officially registers.

It seems Olivia Chow hasn't registered yet. I guess the Stintz camp just couldn't help themselves.

I can't help but see this criticism in the context of Stintz' earlier comment about being "just like you" because she owns a home, drives a car, and takes her kid to soccer practice. Stintz is really going after the privileged white person vote (aka the "traditional" suburban vote).

She might think it will do her some good in her cushy midtown/North Toronto world, but not downtown.

From Don Peat's article today: A spokesman for the Karen Stintz campaign said they won't be commenting until Chow officially registers.

It seems Olivia Chow hasn't registered yet. I guess the Stintz camp just couldn't help themselves.

Just another flip flop I guess.

"Nick Kouvalis, is that you? The Tory campaign has already launched a (thin) anti-Chow attack website": http://valueofadollar.ca
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/443824594273595392

Kouvalis, you're slipping: what is a "guildeline" and more importantly: does John Tory not have anything better to attack Chow on than "the value of a dollar"? I mean it's not like Tory is an old-school-tie millionaire though, so...

Wait, what's that? He is?

Sure it was tacky, shortsighted and potentially in breach of <something> for Chow to send out those flyers (although I suspect she is technically in the clear), but what does this site achieve? Chow voters will shrug it off, undecided voters won't suddenly think "Oh yeah, Tory can fix these problems with Chow" so what's the point?

Last edited:

Back