News   Jul 16, 2024
 42     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 457     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 559     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Last edited:
She has done nothing wrong and all this says is that Chow - unlike Tory - has a record of being elected by "taxpayers."

Reminds me of what the former councillor said to JT when she anonymously phoned his radio show: "And good luck to you, John, because you're a three-time loser. And I don't see you being successful in the future."

Re: Chow has no chance in the 'burbs

People assume anywhere outside the old city limits is a dead area for left wing politics. The federal NDP has seats in Scarborough-Southwest, Scarborough-Rouge River and York South-Weston - not your typical latte-sipping, volvo driving constituencies. The NDP held numerous seats in Scarborough and Etobicoke during the Rae years. East York in particular has a very strong left-wing electoral history from Agnes MacPhail and True Davidson to their last mayor Michael Prue.

Its also important to note that the Etobicoke North riding - the epicentre of Ford Nation - has both a Liberal MP and MPP.

I'm starting to wonder if Karen Stintz is in it to be a tag-team partner to John Tory take down Chow. She's been taking some really nasty shots today.

J4JMgEV.png

:D

Ann Hui ‏@annhui
Stintz spox (spokesperson) on CP24 right now taking shots at Chow. Brings up fact she used to live in subsidized housing.

Really? Do we have to go through that nonsense again? Not that I was planning on voting for Stintz but if I were I would have just changed my mind.

I was watching it on TV and cringed when I heard it. I cringed even more on hearing Nathan Downer's half-assed attempt at challenging the "double-dipping" claim. It just made it worse.

I can just imagine Sue Ann Levy's and Joe Warmington's head exploding to the sight of this line on Olivia Chow's "about" page.

From her website:

Recognition for being one of our city’s most effective leaders include a Toronto Sun readers’ choice gold award for being a Top Torontonian

My picks:

1. Tory (has recently spoken in favour of transit-dedicated revenue tools and realizes the economic impacts of congestion; has business acumen, which I think is important for Toronto)
2. Chow (if her transit policy is more ambitious than Tory's *and* if she offers a concrete plan for financing those investments, she may go up to #1)
3. Soknacki (if he had a legitimate shot of being elected or if Toronto had a ranked ballot system, I'd vote for him)
4. Stintz
5. Spoiled Ballot

I'd like to wait until both Chow and Tory release their platforms to make a decision. Soknacki seems like a good guy, but his polling numbers suggest that he won't be elected mayor. I'd like for my vote to directly impact the result (voting for a front-runner).

I don't like the "I won't vote for the candidate I like best, because he/she isn't likely to win" thing. That's how pollsters and media can swing votes. Probably some people voted for Ford because of that. I believe in voting for who you really want, otherwise it's like settling for second best just so you can be one of the crowd. After all, the polls can be wrong. Just ask Bob Rae.

Back