News   May 09, 2024
 550     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 471     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 786     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Leaving aside the ridiculousness of opening a major trunk line as a truncated shuttle in the wastes of Scarberia for a moment, how do you propose that the rolling stock for the line, housed on the western end of the line, gets to the terminal in Scarborough? What if there's construction work along the line that would cut off the storage facility from the east end?

A phased opening sounds like a great idea, until you stop and think about it for at least 1.5 seconds.

Leaving aside the ridiculousness of opening a major trunk line as a truncated shuttle in the wastes of Scarberia for a moment, how do you propose that the rolling stock for the line, housed on the western end of the line, gets to the terminal in Scarborough? What if there's construction work along the line that would cut off the storage facility from the east end?

A phased opening sounds like a great idea, until you stop and think about it for at least 1.5 seconds.
At the previously planned opening they were well past the tunnel issues and were working on the concourse levels. Trains could easily pass through if they need to be shuttled. No to mention there are turnbacks further east to accommodate and they could used the Easter underground stations to park some trains overnight temporarily. Besides, it's not like they need to access the msf every minute of the day. I'm sure they could've found a way around it had they tried

New Eglinton CLC presentation just published on the website. Compared to previous presentations the estimated dates and durations are unusually specific. This is hopeful news:

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 11.40.46.png

At the previously planned opening they were well past the tunnel issues and were working on the concourse levels.
Seriously? In a project so fraught with delays as this one, you are prepared to accept that the tunnels are 100% good to go and that there's no possibility whatsoever of further work being required?

No to mention there are turnbacks further east to accommodate and they could used the Easter underground stations to park some trains overnight temporarily.
How temporary is temporary? We've known about the underpinning issues for a hot minute now. What is your proposal? That the trains not get maintained during this several year time period? That they pass through a construction zone to receive maintenance? That they truck them at great expense to the yard every time they need work?

New Eglinton CLC presentation just published on the website. Compared to previous presentations the estimated dates and durations are unusually specific. This is hopeful news:

View attachment 506292
So in essence they move everything from Summer to Fall 2023 (i.e. December 22, 2023). Next presentation will simply move everything over to Winter 2024. What an easy job for the folks editing the slides lol

Why is Metrolinx reporting on progress of the Salvation Army building? Is there a connection?

Yes, this article goes into details. Basically, they had to construct some utilities where the former church was, and eventually struck a deal to redevelop the church at the same time as constructing utilities so they all blend in

Ok i take it back, the Crosstown will probably open after both Finch West AND Hurontario at this point.

This project is an absolute clown show.
I guess that will be 2026 when the Hurontario line will see service. Hurontario is another Crosstown project with so many miss dates so far.

So people can see what you're discussing.

Reece posted that he liked the look of the iconography/signage at the new Laird Station.

His photos are below:

1694746099110.png

1694746121376.png

I'm going to have to disagree here.

Aside from the fact that the TTC logo provides the required information, and if you desired anything else on that sign it would be 'Line 5' and the appropriate colour...........

I think the TTC logo is far too small to be seen/understood at a distance, and that is equally true of the T, assuming anyone understands that at all.

That's a cool looking design. Very refreshing. One issue, though, is that you have to get up close to see what it's for (unlike the existing TTC subway signs with a large backlit TTC logo).

If the new signs become ubiquitous at every station entrance, the obelisk design could become an iconic part of the transit system. When you see the obelisk, you know there's a station entrance nearby.

On the other hand, there's very little information on the sign. There's no line number, mode identification (e.g. subway, LRT, streetcar, modal interchange, etc.), or indication whether the station is open or closed.

Last edited:
So people can see what you're discussing.

Reece posted that he liked the look of the iconography/signage at the new Laird Station.

His photos are below:

View attachment 506437

View attachment 506438

I'm going to have to disagree here.

Aside from the fact that the TTC logo provides the required information, and if you desired anything else on that sign it would be 'Line 5' and the appropriate colour...........

I think the TTC logo is far too small to be seen/understood at a distance, and that is equally true of the T, assuming anyone understands that at all.
Agreed. It looks pretentiously over-designy from someone trying too hard to make something meaningless be important.

And the lightbulb will stop working in two months or so and never be replaced.

Just put up a normal sign.

Back