News   May 29, 2024
 555     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 356     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 663     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Will the impending investigation be under the juridisdction of the Transportation Safety Board?
It's not within their mandate because the RT isn't a federally regulated railway (unlike the Trillium/Confederation lines in Ottawa). Nonetheless, they can be invited to investigate and provide advice. FWIW, GO Transit doesn't fall under TSB jurisdiction when operating on Metrolinx-owned track either.

This is the first direct response by Leary to an operational issue that I can recall in recent times.

I hope they can figure out the cause soon. Otherwise the November closure may be coming sooner.
The idiot CEO doesnt have any brains to come out and make an in person statement to the most dangerous TTC accident which has happened since Russell Hill? How long until this clown gets fired?

The Progressive Conservative Bill Davis imposed the SRT upon Toronto, when the TTC wanted light rail (streetcars) at the time.

Now the (Progressive) Conservative Doug Ford is imposing a "metro" whatever-it-is-called upon Toronto for the Ontario Line.

Be afraid, very afraid.

The Progressive Conservative Bill Davis imposed the SRT upon Toronto, when the TTC wanted light rail (streetcars) at the time.

Now the (Progressive) Conservative Doug Ford is imposing a "metro" whatever-it-is-called upon Toronto for the Ontario Line.

Be afraid, very afraid.
the failure of the SRT isn't the technology itself - Vancouver's metro is thriving with the tech.

The problem is that the TTC didn't want to maintain it.

the failure of the SRT isn't the technology itself - Vancouver's metro is thriving with the tech.

Or implement it properly to begin with, or or expand it, or defend it against any kind of criticism or replace it in a timely way.

I really have half a mind to write a rail fan style book on ICTS with the general premise that it was fundamentally ahead of its time and could well have been just about everything it was promised to be with a little more support and a little less focus on novelty and quick profitabilit.

Oof; this feels like the end to me. Was hoping to get out there one more time...

This reminds me of what happened with the Toronto Zoo Monorail. One accident and the technology was mothballed.

In this case, they are looking at closing the RT in November however I can see them using this as an excuse to kill it early for safety reasons.

I take the RT regularly and have never had any issues with it, what boggles my mind though is how it derailed on a straight track. The only thing I can think of is some external factor causing this like debris on the tracks.

I could see it derailing in the underpass if it is going full tilt into the turn but on a straight track.. that is odd unless something was on the tracks.

Nor getting the funds needed up upgrade it properly. Upgrading of everything, be it subway, streetcar, buses, wayfinding, etc. needs proper funding. The TTC was and is constantly underfunded. So upgrades keep getting deferred. Like platform screen doors keep getting deferred.

I do think Toronto's implementation of the system itself was something of a bad move, as the system did not fare well in the snow. It worked well in Vancouver since they have little of that.

But yeah, no, this isn't an issue with the tech, it's the state it's in. If the SRT shuts down from this, which I can easily see happening, it will remain forever a monument to greed, corruption, organisational incompetence, and political interference. The fact it was ever allowed to reach this point is truly disgraceful and sickening.

Just to keep the story clear on who backed this .....Paul Godfrey, James Snow

- Paul

SRT a.png

This reminds me of what happened with the Toronto Zoo Monorail. One accident and the technology was mothballed.

In this case, they are looking at closing the RT in November however I can see them using this as an excuse to kill it early for safety reasons.

I take the RT regularly and have never had any issues with it, what boggles my mind though is how it derailed on a straight track. The only thing I can think of is some external factor causing this like debris on the tracks.

I could see it derailing in the underpass if it is going full tilt into the turn but on a straight track.. that is odd unless something was on the tracks.
Have you ever ridden on a car that starts to shutter and “jump” the rails after its initial acceleration?
Based on the location of this derailment the train was in its second acceleration phase (it starts out up to 25 till the train is fully out of the station and then begins its 2nd acceleration up to 65 - or 50 if the temperature is above 25celsius) It is in that 2nd acceleration where you will feel the “jumping”. Let’s see what TTC and it’s external auditor says but I can’t see any scenario where the SRT goes back into service. The reaction rail is pretty beat up, and every unit experiences this jumping

Have you ever ridden on a car that starts to shutter and “jump” the rails after its initial acceleration?
Based on the location of this derailment the train was in its second acceleration phase (it starts out up to 25 till the train is fully out of the station and then begins its 2nd acceleration up to 65 - or 50 if the temperature is above 25celsius) It is in that 2nd acceleration where you will feel the “jumping”. Let’s see what TTC and it’s external auditor says but I can’t see any scenario where the SRT goes back into service. The reaction rail is pretty beat up, and every unit experiences this jumping

The trains have been jerking alot recently. I last took the RT on Sunday and it was jerking around a bit.

I wonder if the trains have been operating on manual recently.

I agree though, I doubt the RT goes back into service. The infrastructure is damaged and I can see it being deemed unsafe.

The trains have been jerking alot recently. I last took the RT on Sunday and it was jerking around a bit.

I wonder if the trains have been operating on manual recently.

I agree though, I doubt the RT goes back into service. The infrastructure is damaged and I can see it being deemed unsafe.
It’s been operating in ATO for the most part, it’s just they are long past their life expectancy.

That appears significant.

Judging by the damages to the reaction rail, I suspect there will be a decision if it is worth repairing for only a few months. No doubt that would take at least a few weeks to repair at which point that leaves us with 2 months or so of service left.

If the bean counters do not shut it down, I suspect that the TTC lawyers will. There is a huge liability issue running trains with a known issue such as this. The TTC's lawyers may tell them to shut it down to avoid another incident.

My gut tells me that July 24th 2023 was the last day of service.

Back