News   May 06, 2024
 526     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 698     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

In fairness - there are a whole portions of the Metrolinx site that are currently down or not working properly. This just may have been one of the affected areas.

Lol. Quite possible, although the Crosstown west page still works, and the Scarborough progress was shown on that page. I'm sticking to the conspiracy theory on this one.

PS - You're sure pushing my buttons about how ML has dumbed down its web site, in particular deleting the source documents that laid out their plans and project scope and service plans. Pretty hard to hold them accountable for meeting plans when the plans have disappeared from view.

- Paul

That's standard Metrolinx operating procedure. We might not like that, but that's the way it is.

I don't see that going down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole helps. Next thing you know, someone is out on the street, shouting about people from Arizona trying to take over the world.

That's standard Metrolinx operating procedure. We might not like that, but that's the way it is.
That doesn't mean we're not allowed to complain about it. Sure, maybe that's how it is, but that doesn't mean that's the way it aught to be.
I don't see that going down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole helps. Next thing you know, someone is out on the street, shouting about people from Arizona trying to take over the world.
Painting all conspiracy theories with the same brush is very disingenuous and not helpful. There is a difference between believing in Hollywood lizard people, and highlighting the actions of a crown corporation that show very basic behavioural patterns, namely trying to avoid accountability and any form of bad press.

That doesn't mean we're not allowed to complain about it.
Complaints are great! I just wouldn't go much further.

I wonder what's critical path for this project. My guess would be Lawrence East station give how deep it is, and how very high the water table is there (artesian conditions). The extension to Kennedy station and new tail tracks are complex; but relatively shallow and not dependent on the tunnelling.

Painting all conspiracy theories with the same brush is very disingenuous and not helpful. There is a difference between believing in Hollywood lizard people, and highlighting the actions of a crown corporation that show very basic behavioural patterns, namely trying to avoid accountability and any form of bad press.

Precisely.

The reason for persistently complaining is because a) there is ample evidence that Ml (and IO) have a pervasive culture of non-accountability which includes deliberate suppression of bad news. A single TBM pause is small potatoes in that, although it's a good case study in typical ML behaviour. And it's agood predictor of how Ml might behave when a larger, more serious technical or managerial blip happens #Crosstown

but also....b) there is ample evidence in the business literature that large organizations only become high performers when they can openly and objectively identify problems and deficiencies and solve them openly and impartially. So pointing to the trend is important fact checking to counter ML and Ontario's self-serving narrative about how well this is all falling into place.

There is also c) they are playing with taxpayer money, not their own.... but I will leave that alone for now.

- Paul

Sounds like the makings of a conspiracy theory to me. If it had indeed stopped for a few weeks, then waiting for replacement part is extremely common in construction. Especially with specialized equipment.
I can say that I had heard they were having issues of some undisclosed extent - but it was not clear what. Perhaps the TBM did get stuck, but they have since “unstuck” it.

Regardless, it’s not uncommon for these kinds of things to happen. You fix it and keep going, it’s part of the process.

The RT just derailed…
04F76722-E88D-4FA9-9EFE-73375CAC9037.jpeg

Pic from the CPTDB

EDIT:
Some more info: the last car of a Kennedy-bound train separated. Looks like it yanked the coupler right out from the other car.

Last edited:

Back