News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

The Weather

So far Pearson International has seen 130 mm of rain this July, which makes it the 3rd most rainiest in history. If we hit 180 we'll beat the all time record. That will only take a few good thunderstorms to happen.

So far Pearson International has seen 130 mm of rain this July, which makes it the 3rd most rainiest in history. If we hit 180 we'll beat the all time record. That will only take a few good thunderstorms to happen.

Or one. The Grandview (Yonge and Steeles) weather station recorded an insane 175mm of rain during a 2-3 hour period during the August 19, 2005 storm. Many locations between the 401 and 407 experienced a 100+ year storm.

Quite a bit of lightning tonight over downtown. I've been sitting on my couch watching it hit the CN Tower all night.

Strange low cloud formation over the lake, over the Islands, right now if anyone can see it.

I watched it happen from the island airport. We had a couple minutes of rain at 9:00 and then nothing until the second I walked out to go home and then the downpour came.

We were watching the radar throughout and couldn't believe how the rain apparently was everywhere except for on the island.

Nothing strange about the weather this year if you know anything about chinese astrology! It's the year of the (water) rat. Always wet and emotional.

Well that would describe me today. Leave on bike with dry streets, rain pours down 10 minutes later. Arrive at destination depressed and wet!

My garden looks like a tropical rainforest. I need a machete to hack my way through to the end of it.

So does my balcony from all this rain!

PICT1739.jpg

PICT1736.jpg

I just came across this in The Star, which comes as no great surprise.

Summer may be wettest ever

Jul 22, 2008 07:26 PM
Comments on this story (30)
Precious Yutangco
Staff reporter

Mass amounts of rain in the GTA this summer are pouring into the record books, making this the wettest summer ever recorded at Pearson International Airport.

David Phillips, a senior climatologist for Environment Canada, says we have had the wettest summer to date, with 240.4 millimetres of rain falling in the months of June and July, well above the average of 148 millimetres for that same period.

Phillips said we're well on our way to breaking a 28-year-old record in which 271.5 millimetres fell between June 1 and July 31, 1980, mostly during the last week of July.

"If it turns out to be dry from now until the end of July, then no cigar again but ... we still could get rain today. We have rain in the forecast Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday," he said.

"We still have five days next week. I'm betting a few loonies that we're going to get more than an inch of rain for the rest of the month, which will give us the record that we need."

Earlier this afternoon a severe thunderstorm swept through the Greater Toronto Area, leaving behind a trail of chaos.

It is too soon to officially say how much rain fell in total today, but about 10 millimetres fell around Downsview, said Peter Kimbell, a warning preparedness meteorologist for Environment Canada.

Highways cameras showed heavy rains pelting the roads, making it difficult for drivers to see.

A car rolled over around 2 p.m. on the northbound lanes of Hwy. 410, just south of Derry Rd. in Mississauga. The car rolled into the ditch and the right lane was blocked for more than an hour. No serious injuries were reported, traffic in both directions slowed down to take a look, causing severe backups.

Another vehicle spun out of control just after 3 p.m. on Hwy. 427. That has been moved off to the side but drivers there are also slowing down to look.

Many traffic lights were knocked out all over the GTA and many Toronto and York Region roads were submerged underwater.

Manholes were reported to have been knocked out along Steeles Ave., between Bathurst St. and Bayview Ave. and there are reports that parts of Bayview Ave. underneath overpasses are underwater.

Phillips says the volume of rain the GTA has seen this summer is interesting given how last year was one of the driest summers on record.

We had a total of 88 mm of rain all summer last year. It's only July and Phillips says we've had almost three times that amount, which is great for gardeners.

"The city looks so green. It's lush. Trees aren't suffering. Gardens are prospering," Phillips said.

"Last year it looked ugly. Walking on grass was like walking on Rice Crispies."

...and the rest of the week continues to look grim (as usual)

we3.jpg

I't might have been dry last summer according to David Phillips, but it certainly was not the hottest of summers by any stretch.

Environment Canada was originally predicting a a hot summer for Southwestern Ontario.

Weather predictions. Always fun.

So does my balcony from all this rain!

PICT1739.jpg

PICT1736.jpg

Ooh, what a fantastic balcony! Mine is too windy for anything like that - my fern was destroyed by a cold front in May, and my other plants are suffering from many several stems due to the recent thunderstorms we've been having.

Ooh, what a fantastic balcony! Mine is too windy for anything like that - my fern was destroyed by a cold front in May, and my other plants are suffering from many several stems due to the recent thunderstorms we've been having.

Hey thanks! It's a private balcony with cement walls on each side so it doesn't get very windy and it's very private. I also face south so I get plenty of sun on the rare occasion that it decides to actually come out plus I get plenty of rain about one foot in from the railing. Plenty of rain!

Back