Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

We need an impassioned, crazy philanthropist with more money than sense. Any takers?

Harry's got a solid team behind him.

vu_seminar_1.jpg

billy.jpg

last I heard a year ago, the Loblaws proposal was approved subject to developer entering into a Heritage Conservation Easement Agreement (to ensure protection and restoration of the place) ... the delay at the time was Loblaws trying to figure out the restoration costs and its feasiblity ... not sure whats the deal now

^ Loblaws' massive restructuring. It's not a matter of approvals, the company needs to fix its financial situation. The company will not be expanding for little while until their books are in order, so to speak.

In the meantime, Maple Leaf Gardens will be the venue for the One X One campaign on Sept. 9th. Matt Damon host, with Wyclef. Usually has a whole bunch of other A- and B-List celebrities as it coincides with the Film Festival

^In the meantime, Maple Leaf Gardens will be the venue for the One X One campaign on Sept. 9th. Matt Damon host, with Wyclef. Usually has a whole bunch of other A- and B-List celebrities as it coincides with the Film Festival

I wonder how that's going to work. Didn't they auction all the seats off after the Leafs left? I remember CTV news did a story on the Gardens a while back and it was in pretty terrible condition inside...

As for what to do with the building, it's a travesty that it has sat there rotting for a decade already...if Loblaws can't afford to build on it they should sell it to someone who will. The damn MLSE anti-competitive clause probably means condos are the most realistic option, which is a shame because Eugene Melnyk had a great plan to turn it into the home of the St. Mike's Majors a few years back.

Nuit Blanche October 4, 2008 6:52 pm to sunrise

Without Persons, 2008
Luis Jacob - Toronto, Canada

This multi-media installation is centred around two computer-generated (male and female) voices speaking about being-in-the-city and being-with-others. Accompanying the audio are two video screens which abstractly and resonantly illustrate the spoken text. The artificial voices speak in an earnest manner about being with others in society - voices that seem to belong to the concerned, but disembodies surrogate-parents of an uncannily absent child.

Maple Leaf Gardens,
60 Carlton Street

Source: Now September 25 - October 1, 2008, p. 20

they should get rid of the anti-competition clause. That is uncompetitive and I think the lawyers should take a look at it. This is the biggest stumbling block here. Imagine this... bring another NHL team to Toronto, upgrade the rink (at a very high cost I know). IT would be economic and competitive. Toronto can easily support two NHL teams.

I know, I know..never going to happen...

they should get rid of the anti-competition clause. That is uncompetitive and I think the lawyers should take a look at it. This is the biggest stumbling block here. Imagine this... bring another NHL team to Toronto, upgrade the rink (at a very high cost I know). IT would be economic and competitive. Toronto can easily support two NHL teams.

I know, I know..never going to happen...

With the Leafs being an awful team for the past 40 years and the ACC being a sell out every game why should it not happen.

last I heard a year ago, the Loblaws proposal was approved subject to developer entering into a Heritage Conservation Easement Agreement (to ensure protection and restoration of the place) ... the delay at the time was Loblaws trying to figure out the restoration costs and its feasiblity ... not sure whats the deal now

Heritage my ass,you need 100 million bucks here and nobody is going to spend that coin. Before this building falls apart Blow out the roof keep the facade and build some condo towers.

Unless it was Peter Clewes, of course. Dragging out poor Peter would automatically turn it from a shame to a heritage triumph, you know, slight angles and subtle "referencing" and all. :p

Adaptive reuse may just be the best fate for MLG, and there's nothing shameful in that. I'd rather a tower added than the whole thing raised. Preserving MLG in its original entirety just doesn't seem likely, and in the meantime the building continues to fall apart. Is this how the heritage folks love their buildings?

Back