Toronto The James at Scrivener Square | 81.65m | 21s | Tricon | Graziani + Corazza

I certainly support development of something significant at this site, and 26 floors seems reasonable. I noticed the 'average floor-to-floor height' increased with the new proposal to the city, which will yield 11' to 12' ceilings and probably 13' ceilings in penthouses. This will therefore likely be a very luxury-oriented development, with units priced in the millions.

The developer is redesigning the project, economic conditions will likely dictate whether or not it is revived in the short-term.

That proposal was DOA - the locals went apeshit, as they should have - it wasn't the place.

The proposal was DOA - the locals went apeshit, as they should have - it wasn't the place.

I used to have a couple of clients in one of the Scrivener Square condo buildings a couple of years ago. There was a big sign in the lobby railing the residents against this development, all about how "wrong" it was in the area and shadows this and height restriction that. I remember thinking at the time how hypocritical that was, as those buildings are much much higher than anything else in the area, and they must have faced the same opposition as the Woodcliffe projects did. Seems like once you're not the target of NIMBYs, you become a NIMBY.

The Thornwoods are around a dozen floors or less, (aren't they?), and their shadows would be insignificant compared to this mid-30-something proposal. I agree with the local NIMBYs regarding this now-dead proposal. All the reasons are spelled out earlier in the thread.

No posts in just about a year so I thought I'd post this.

Scrivener Square
Shawn Micallef
September 02, 2009
Eye Weekly

Midtown’s refurbished North Toronto Station, built in 1916, houses Summerhill, the world’s fanciest LCBO store. But out front is Scrivener Square, the kind of small urban square that Toronto needs more of. Designed by Toronto architect Stephen Teeple and named after the late MPP Margaret Scrivener, it includes a “tipping fountain†by artist Robert Fones and a series of small, angular streams and ponds, refreshingly free of the unnecessary safety barriers that too often ruin good urban design. Those who want green can walk east between the two condo buildings and eventually find a passageway to the Vale of Avoca ravine and the wonderful Swiss Family Robinson–style trails high on the ravine wall.

95f6c32548729e546ad386e119b2.gif

http://www.eyeweekly.com/city/cityhall/details/article/70729

Back