News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 636     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Agreed.

I am not sure why the comparison to Times Square bothers so many. It was clearly the major influence for the area's design and development.

Eh, why can't Toronto be Toronto instead of Toronto be some other city?

The non-stop comparisons make Toronto looks like it wants to be with the big boys, but ends up just like a retarded cousin.

I've looked at Dundas Square for so long as Toronto's version of Times Square, but now I want to approach this from a slightly different perspective. Perhaps what YDS is going after is the 'urbanity' that happens to be represented by places like New York's Times Square or Tokyo's Shibuya, etc. It's something like the New Urbanist movement trying to borrow from previous styles of urban planning and design, without trying to make their movement resemble one specific place.

Blast from the past:
Toronto%20Life%20Square_small.jpg

Look at all the glass on the eastern wing of the building...

nice!!!

I wonder if the spot lights are still coming?
No LED Video Screen...
No Rooftop Signage.....

Virgin would have been a cool anchor on the corner there.. Adidas is a little less inclusive/appealing to the general public.

Starbucks posted their opening soon signs in the atrium.

On the website, "Modrobes" (spelling?) is no longer listed as a tenant (next to Johnny Rockets). Interesting.

Virgin would have been a cool anchor on the corner there.. Adidas is a little less inclusive/appealing to the general public.

I agree. I suspect the Adidas store will be used about as much as those little side stores inside Sears (the ones that would have direct access to Yonge if they didn't block the doors). They're lucky if they see fifty people all week. And it's a flagship location, so they'll probably never leave. Quite a waste of retail space, unless they jazz it up a lot by holding interesting events and festivities. Otherwise it will be rather dead.

I have to disagree here. Do Boston or Montreal or Philadelphia or any other number of cities closer to New York than Toronto so constantly 'shorthand' NYC?
Yes. You can add London to that list, even though it's on another continent. And from what I've heard Chinese cities do it just as much.

When I was in Curitiba Brazil, this past year, I saw ads for three (3) residential developments that were each named for NY references.

When I was in Curitiba Brazil, this past year, I saw ads for three (3) residential developments that were each named for NY references.

Funny thing is, Curitiba is the inspiration for alot of low cost/alternative transit projects in North America.

Anyways....When I'm in Yonge and Dundas, I feel it more closely resembles Tokyo's Shinjuku than New York's Times Square

Contrary to what some of the forumers are predicting... I think the Adidas store will do very well at this location. The brand is quite popular, especially with the tourist crowd. The Adidas store on Queen Street has a steady flow of customers throughout the day... I don't see why this location will be any different.

Contrary to what some of the forumers are predicting... I think the Adidas store will do very well at this location. The brand is quite popular, especially with the tourist crowd. The Adidas store on Queen Street has a steady flow of customers throughout the day... I don't see why this location will be any different.

I agree. There will be a lot of traffic in the store. Being right at the corner at the busiest pedestrian intersection will attract people inside, even if many of them have no intention of buying anything. Just wait till the summer when Euro 2008 is coming up. Adidas being the main athletic sponsor for the tournament will mean that the store will be filled with gear relating to the tournament. This store will be a destination for those looking for some sort of Euro 2008 merchandise. And when the World Cup happens (I know not till 2010) it will draw even more people.

AMC will be successful.

IN the summer time, i notice people are more comfortable and find it more convenient staying downtown later then in the winter time.

However, something has to be done at YOnge Dundas sqaure in the winter...

I agree. There will be a lot of traffic in the store. Being right at the corner at the busiest pedestrian intersection will attract people inside, even if many of them have no intention of buying anything. Just wait till the summer when Euro 2008 is coming up. Adidas being the main athletic sponsor for the tournament will mean that the store will be filled with gear relating to the tournament. This store will be a destination for those looking for some sort of Euro 2008 merchandise. And when the World Cup happens (I know not till 2010) it will draw even more people.

Meh, Beijing 2008 is the sporting event to look forward to.

Back