News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 636     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 918     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

So they are going to building the bus lanes even with a possible subway? Excellent. Yonge street needs both a subway AND transit priority lanes..

In many cases the annual operational savings from bus lanes (like York U and Yonge Street) are enough to cover the cost of construction of the lanes within a few years (~4 or so for York U and I forget for Yonge).

In the case of York U, it has the added bonus of growing ridership to reduce early operational losses on operating the subway line.

73876913ki7.jpg

it's not too bad if you're in shape. there is the 90 bus you can transfer too if you catch it at leslie/hwy7. if not, it'd be faster to walk then to wait for the next bus.

^ 9019 Leslie Street looks like quite a walk from the nearest Vivastation on Hwy 7. I wonder if more people will take Viva or drive to the workshop.

No, I went to the last thing here and it was totally not bad. Ten minutes tops. from hwy 7. Don't forget that you can take the GO to Langstaff and switch to the VIVA for only 50 cents. And you can try out that new multi-million dollar pedestrian bridge they built. And also, the train trip up from Union is absolutely beautiful!

Now, I'm not saying that they couldn't have chosen a more transit supportive location in York Region - they totally could have. I'm actually really surprised they didn't. I think they chose this spot because it was the most YRT-staff supportive - that is - it's right across the street from the YRT HQ.

The walk to the conference hall is not that bad, especially if you're already a "transit type" which means you should already be used to walking a little out of your way to get to your destination.

I'll try to get to this workshop if I can remember to call in.

Based on the June presentations, they have no interest in creating a busway on Yonge at this point in time. That idea was scrapped after they got heat from the public regarding the idea of widing an already tight and cramped road. That's where the subway came into play, and they're going with that.

The busway will be from Bayview and Hwy 7, along Hwy 7 all the way to at least Warden. Not sure what they're doing after that, with Downtown Markham and all.

It could head down Warden (ie. convert the new lanes to bus only) to Enterprise and head towards the Unionville GO station. I think a busway would be very useful on the Bayview to Warden corridor as it is a brutal mess during rush hour, especially between Bayview and 404

Ah yes ... I think you are correct (our company Christmas parties are sometimes held here ... can't figure out why, as our office is south of Shepherd and 80% of our staff are south of Shepherd ... it's mind boggling at 6:30 at night on a weekday that it takes me the same amount of time to drive from Woodbine and Danforth to the 404/7 off-ramp, as it actually takes me to get off the highway and 2 stop lights along 7 ... 905 traffic is just brutal compared to downtown ... but I digress.

Only 300 metres ... will give those advocating 800 metres between LRT stops something to think about :).

BTW if anyone is driving north to this at 7 pm. Get off the 404 at Steeles, go to Don Mills Road, and head north, it changes name to Leslie. You'll save yourself 15 minutes or so parked on the 404 off-ramp.

BTW if anyone is driving north to this at 7 pm. Get off the 404 at Steeles, go to Don Mills Road, and head north, it changes name to Leslie. You'll save yourself 15 minutes or so parked on the 404 off-ramp.

I do that all the time in the morning (tho there is quite a bit of traffic northbound) instead of the 404 to get to Hwy 7 because of that off-ramp. I also detour along the streets south of 7 to avoid 7 altogether when I can

Anyone else at the meeting last night (given all the discussion about how to get there)?

There was a general consensus on the station locations.
TTC is pushing for one at Drewry even though some of us thought it was too close to Finch.

Aside from that, everyone like Clark, most took Royal Orchard over Centre Street. Most people were cool with one I hadn't heard/considered before: Bunker Road, on the south side of the 407. There's basically nothing there now but the hydro corridor has room for 2,000 parking spaces (there are no other lots on the line at all) and Langstaff, across the road, is going to be getting major redevelopment.

People were split on where to put the RH station (at Yonge, at the Viva/GO stops or in between) and most agreed that a bridge over the Yonge St valley is better than a tunnel.

thanks for the info.

royal orchard makes a lot more sense than centre street.

bunker road is definitely a suprise. it really would be a dead stop because most would get on at richmond hill centre anyway. if they are proposing one there, i'm guessing it would be closer to longbridge. either way, seems like a chance to waste money.

with the richmond hill center stop, i'd probably prefer it at/close to where the terminal is now. it would connections to bus route much easier. i'm wondering the rail corrider can somehow be used in this configuration. as i recall there was an alignment that went along side it when they proposed the yonge st. busway.

the bridge over the yonge st. valley is the one between centre st. and royal orchard i presume. did they mention if they were going to tunnel under the rail corridor between clark and meadowview?

Back