News   Mar 28, 2024
 325     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 340     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 698     0 

Woodbine Centre

In terms of historical significance, the Loof Carousel in the Fantasy Fair is over 100 years old. Someone on facebook mentioned the Carousel could be considered
a piece of heritage property.

The carousel maybe; but not the fair itself. If the Woodbine Centre is to be demolished, I'd imagine the Carousel would just be uprooted and displayed somewhere
else. Any thoughts?
God I hope so!!! I know I sure would appreciate that. Carousels are certainly historically significant and I think the Loof is no exception! It deserves so much better than sitting, dusty and underused in a dying liquidation mall.

It's common knowledge now, but I was doing some background research once again on the current owner of Woodbine.

Besides Closeout King, Mr. Hinn also owns the Rexdale Plaza. Technically, the "mall" might just be the former Towers/Zellers building and it's
redesign as a no-name mini mall.. The fate of that building in its current state should have been the writing on the wall for how Woodbine would
be treated.

View attachment 320778
Oh that poor little "mall". Seeing that thing just reminds me of a damaged puppy. Woodbine is certainly reflecting Rexdale Mall on the inside.

Wow.. it's almost a liminal space.

This image encapsulates the overall state of woodbine. When I went, there were so many vacant store areas and there was even one with a bunch of liquidates stock inside and I don't even think there was a sign out front. My friend and I went inside and discovered it was full of Christmas ornaments, Christmas trees, and some miscellaneous ribbon and stuff. Likely just a seasonal store but it was in March.
Also the lady who ran the store (I assume) was pretty angry at us just looking around. I don't fault her though.
Hello there. First of all, thank you for all the photos from Instagram (and welcome to the world's greatest Woodbine Centre "fanclub" on the internet :cool:).

You're right. The Carousel is the best feature of the Woodbine these days - an attraction that should be protected. The banner you're speaking of has been a part of Woodbine's decor for years. There's also a mural downstairs next to Shop-A-Lot. Apparently, Covid-19 delayed the $200 million dollar revisions. Many of us here feel the plans will never get realized as Amazon has expressed interest in redeveloping the mall as a sorting facility.

As to my knowledge, nothing is set in stone or finalized at the moment.

If you want a cool place to visit, check out Nations in the Stockyards Village:
- indoor amusement park (albeit a smaller one)
- arcade
- buffet/salad bar next to said amusement rides
- grocery store
- smaller kiosks for watches and jewellery
- an aerobics facility off to the side
- plus a stone's throw from other amenities like Winners and Dollarama.

P.S.: As much as I double post myself on the rare occasion, I would recommend bundling all of your comments into one reply in the future. Makes it easier for everyone to follow along.
Thanks for livening up this thread.

Last edited:
I call this google photo set "Portrait of a Woodbine":

1655096857705.png

Once a lively spectacle: the food court's empty seats and leased stores now offers a serene backdrop for introspective thoughts.

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 01-14-03 woodbine centre - Google Search.png

More often than not, only one escalator would be working at a time.

Admittedly, it was my Dad's pre-movie ritual to buy a ticket here every weekend. We never won anything
...but, isn't visiting the Woodbine Centre these days rewarding enough?

1655097663010.png

Remember when the food court used to be packed? On the weekends and Christmas season, it was a challenge to find a seat most visits.

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 01-25-15 woodbine centre - Google Search.png

Remember looking down from the upper level and seeing the old Woodbine Centre logo? Remember the sounds of the fountain
when it was actually running?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 01-28-33 woodbine centre - Google Search.png

I remember when Oliver Jewellery used to be Black's Photography. The nail salon towards the exit was a pet store called Doggone It.
There were always kittens in the window. Now, there's only For Lease signs.

Next to Hakim Optical was once Electronic Boutique (EB Games). Now one of many Mobile shops scattered throughout the mall,
last I recalled.

1655098441823.png

Speaking of For Lease signs. The empty space in the middle of this section used to be the Cinnabon kiosk.
Smelling those cinnamon buns was another highlight of visiting the upper level.

I call this google photo set "Portrait of a Woodbine":

View attachment 406988

Once a lively spectacle: the food court's empty seats and leased stores now offers a serene backdrop for introspective thoughts.

View attachment 406990

More often than not, only one escalator would be working at a time.

Admittedly, it was my Dad's pre-movie ritual to buy a ticket here every weekend. We never won anything
...but, isn't visiting the Woodbine Centre these days rewarding enough?

View attachment 406991

Remember when the food court used to be packed? On the weekends and Christmas season, it was a challenge to find a seat most visits.

View attachment 406993

Remember looking down from the upper level and seeing the old Woodbine Centre logo? Remember the sounds of the fountain
when it was actually running?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

View attachment 406994

I remember when Oliver Jewellery used to be Black's Photography. The nail salon towards the exit was a pet store called Doggone It.
There were always kittens in the window. Now, there's only For Lease signs.

Next to Hakim Optical was once Electronic Boutique (EB Games). Now one of many Mobile shops scattered throughout the mall,
last I recalled.

View attachment 406995

Speaking of For Lease signs. The empty space in the middle of this section used to be the Cinnabon kiosk.
Smelling those cinnamon buns was another highlight of visiting the upper level.
Westwood mall in (Mississauga, Malton) looks slightly better...just saying

In the process of taking some recent night photography shots, I started thinking "what if the Woodbine Centre had a pedestrian overpass?"

Do you think a bridge connecting the Woodbine Centre to the Woodbine Racetrack or the stores across Highway 27 would help inspire more foot traffic to the mall?

CF Bridge Night.jpg
overpass2.JPG

Photo credits: (myself): https://unsplash.com/@justin_ziadeh

In the process of taking some recent night photography shots, I started thinking "what if the Woodbine Centre had a pedestrian overpass?"

Do you think a bridge connecting the Woodbine Centre to the Woodbine Racetrack or the stores across Highway 27 would help inspire more foot traffic to the mall?

View attachment 408294View attachment 408296
Photo credits: (myself): https://unsplash.com/@justin_ziadeh
That would be one very long bridge, it'd be cool though! I would hope for woodbine to be completely torn down with a new retail/housing community put in its place.

Last we heard, wasnt Amazon in the running to buy Woodbine, demolish it, and build new warehouse/distribution buildings?

Which would be highly idiotic by the way, but with this slumlord owner i'm sure he doesnt care what happens to this site.

Last we heard, wasnt Amazon in the running to buy Woodbine, demolish it, and build new warehouse/distribution buildings?

Which would be highly idiotic by the way, but with this slumlord owner i'm sure he doesnt care what happens to this site.

Yes, Amazon filed an application with the city of Toronto to demolish the Woodbine as of last year. One of the ride attendants
said the Fair itself will be running for at least another year or so.

The city of Toronto can decline the proposal. Though, I haven't been able to access the city's records to see if there are any updates
on the application.

That would be one very long bridge, it'd be cool though! I would hope for woodbine to be completely torn down with a new retail/housing community put in its place.
I agree. Amazon and housing are probably the future of its site. I can see some increased retail though being built as part of Woodbine Live, especially if the Woodbine Centre goes.

I agree. Amazon and housing are probably the future of its site. I can see some increased retail though being built as part of Woodbine Live, especially if the Woodbine Centre goes.
If they built condo's where the parking lot is, and had a good anchor tenant as a grocery store that would help. Even though there is a Fortino's across the street, if you had housing on site, it would help to not need to cross the street.

Yes, Amazon filed an application with the city of Toronto to demolish the Woodbine as of last year. One of the ride attendants
said the Fair itself will be running for at least another year or so.

The city of Toronto can decline the proposal. Though, I haven't been able to access the city's records to see if there are any updates
on the application.

Amazon may be holding off. According to the Toronto Star there is concern they may have overexpanded during the pandemic which is now coming back to bite them in the ass. They opened a ton of new warehouses and distribution centres but now that the pandemic is pretty much done, demand is dropping.

https://www.thestar.com/business/op...urce=LI&li_medium=thestar_recommended_for_you

Thank you for the article, Richard. It was a good read.

Speaking of warehouses in the area, the old Sears Warehouse on Rexdale and Islington is reportedly being redeveloped as a Costco, some residential
and the possibility of a larger Canadian Tire (both Kipling locations are said to be merging there).

Exit ramp aside, I think the former Sears Warehouse would be a better location for a Costco over the Woodbine Centre. Seconds from the 401 and
across the street from Wal-Mart. Plus, the land has been dormant for years.

Figuratively speaking. would you guys have tolerated the Woodbine Centre being converted into a Costco?

Back