News   Jul 29, 2024
 677     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 436     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 634     0 

Why I don't take public transit anymore

Charging public transit users to park their car is really a disincentive to use public transit in the first place.

The real disincentive is the fact that for whatever reason, you chose to not make your entire commute by public transit. I'm willing to bet it isn't the TTC's fault that you chose to live in an area that requires you to drive to transit. In fact, the entire concept of driving to transit is silly.

It isn't in the city's best interest to build parking lots around subway station and then subsidize that parking so suburbanites can ride the TTC. It isn't even in the best interest to charge you for that parking.

If the city sells that land to developers, they get an upfront cash infusion of millions. Then they have a constant tax revenue from the high density development that goes there. They also net out more potential TTC riders from the hundreds of condo dwellers on that site than they would the number of parking lots that would have been there.

My suggestion to you is that you might want to consider purchasing one of these units to solve your problem. But I'm sure you can understand why someone like me might find it less than desirable (if not a bit galling), that you...the suburbanite, who pays no taxes in Toronto, would like us to build free parking lots around our subway stations rather than TOD, just so you can grace us with your presence on your further subsidized subway ride downtown.

We should take a pass on that "deal".

Optimistic I see... ;)

I think that if there is a north station, these days it would make sense at Dupont rather than Summerhill. The Yonge line carries too much and couldn't handle an influx at Summerhill, while the Spadina line has room to spare. Also the design of the stations and the line itself makes it feel more "commuter" oriented while the Yonge line feels more "urban" oriented.

very true. The additional advantage is it will bring more business and vibrancy to this area, outside the traditional downtown/yorkville. Right now, that great location is very sparsely populated.

I think that if there is a north station, these days it would make sense at Dupont rather than Summerhill. The Yonge line carries too much and couldn't handle an influx at Summerhill, while the Spadina line has room to spare. Also the design of the stations and the line itself makes it feel more "commuter" oriented while the Yonge line feels more "urban" oriented.

very true. The additional advantage is it will bring more business and vibrancy to this area, outside the traditional downtown/yorkville. Right now, that great location is very sparsely populated.

I am confused. Are you discussing a new commuter station on Dupont Avenue? On the CPR mainline or are you going to build new tracks as well? If the latter, where will the tracks go?

The real disincentive is the fact that for whatever reason, you chose to not make your entire commute by public transit. I'm willing to bet it isn't the TTC's fault that you chose to live in an area that requires you to drive to transit. In fact, the entire concept of driving to transit is silly.

It isn't in the city's best interest to build parking lots around subway station and then subsidize that parking so suburbanites can ride the TTC. It isn't even in the best interest to charge you for that parking.

If the city sells that land to developers, they get an upfront cash infusion of millions. Then they have a constant tax revenue from the high density development that goes there. They also net out more potential TTC riders from the hundreds of condo dwellers on that site than they would the number of parking lots that would have been there.

My suggestion to you is that you might want to consider purchasing one of these units to solve your problem. But I'm sure you can understand why someone like me might find it less than desirable (if not a bit galling), that you...the suburbanite, who pays no taxes in Toronto, would like us to build free parking lots around our subway stations rather than TOD, just so you can grace us with your presence on your further subsidized subway ride downtown.

We should take a pass on that "deal".

1. Given the choice, it is probably better for the city for him to park at a station and take transit into the downtown, rather than driving the entire way adding to urban congestion. I don't know the details of his commute, but maybe if local services were faster, more comfortable, more reliable, etc. he would take those instead of driving to the station.

If you think 2.5-5 million people can live within the city limits of Old Toronto and that we could still have a livable city, dream on. Many urban scholars are just as critical of over-density as they are of low-density.

2. Seeing as he has a Metropass he uses for non-commute trips, it is very likely that he lives within the city limits (people who live in Toronto own vehicles? Unthinkable!)

Back